PDA

View Full Version : White sensory den

samb
28-07-2016, 09:51 PM
I have a lovely white sensory den but I don't use it much as I'm not really sure what I can use it for. I tend to either put random fabrics to feel or different textured balls inside. I've used it for music times. It's quite big so easily fits me and 3-4 early years children inside for a focused activity.

But I'd love ideas... Thanks in advance

loocyloo
29-07-2016, 05:56 AM
Does it work as a dark den with torches etc? Or could you get a 'spare' cover to use as a dark den?

Can you use it for storytime?
Could you use it as a playhouse? Maybe combine the last 2 and set it up as the 3 bears cottage?

I have a pop up tent that we use inside as a dark den(with a dark cover over the top)/play tent/story tent, but we don't use it much. I also have a 'glo tent' that you can use special glow in the dark pens (or torches) in, but it's not as good as the blurb makes out.

FloraDora
29-07-2016, 06:03 AM
I think sensory areas come into their own when a child can be free and creative on their own. I provide a small area in a den form every so often but use it as a special place to go to explore their senses:
a rocking chair for gentle movement,
quiet music, but with a lot going on in the way of tinkly sounds, birds etc... Gentle percussion instruments to explore.
A book that is touch and feel - I have made several over the years with different material swatches, grass, embossed wallpaper etc..
Small safe lights - I have a set of pillar candles with batteries in that you can change with a remote, a cube that changes colour when you touch it - just gentle light changes not whizzy things.
Bottles filled with things that move when you turn them.
I have an old spinning spice rack, I fill the bottles with spices and herbs and superglue muslin on top so the smell can permeate easily.
A little tray with fine sand and things to make patterns works well in there too.
I very much encourage individual sessions to help thinking, focussing, calming, listening...I am usually very close by though as the nature of some of the things I put in there need a close eye. I find if more than two go in it becomes a tent / den in an imaginary, usually noisy, game.

I would only explore one or two senses at a time, make it special.
I also give lots of opportunity to be loud and raucous with drums and snare and cymbals, loud music, flashing lights....but that would not be in my sensory den....which in our setting is calming.
Yours sounds wonderful in that you can actually fit more in, you could role play exploring sensory things, have nap time in there? Make it in to a listening area with music, stories, environmental sounds and a headphone station? A home made light box to live there....
Great thread - looking forward to reading lots of ideas.

Maza
29-07-2016, 08:25 AM
I saw a fantastic picture on pinterest the other day. Someone had a hoolahoop and attached various sensory items to it (off the top of my head it would have been different bits of fabric, bells, wooden curtain rings etc. and put a baby inside it for tummy time. I'll see if I can find the picture.

mama2three
29-07-2016, 11:50 AM
this one maza? Its saved on my pinterest board , i love it x

Apartment No.12: Sansering til lille Vigga... (http://apartmentno12.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/sansering-til-lille-vigga.html)

Maza
29-07-2016, 04:52 PM
this one maza? Its saved on my pinterest board , i love it x

Apartment No.12: Sansering til lille Vigga... (http://apartmentno12.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/sansering-til-lille-vigga.html)

Yes! That's the one. What a super simple idea.

loocyloo
29-07-2016, 05:04 PM
I saw a fantastic picture on pinterest the other day. Someone had a hoolahoop and attached various sensory items to it (off the top of my head it would have been different bits of fabric, bells, wooden curtain rings etc. and put a baby inside it for tummy time. I'll see if I can find the picture.

thats fantastic. thank you for sharing. I have a babe starting in the autumn and that would be ideal ( and gives me time to make it !!! :laughing: )

samb
30-07-2016, 07:04 PM
Lovely ideas - yes it's big enough for nap times! I got it with active kids vouchers last year. It's mainly pop up with a bar you thread through the top to stabilise it so it's not possible to hang anything inside -I have strung fairy lights on the top on the outside before and we have laid down on a soft blanket and looked up at the lights whilst singing twinkle twinkle type of rhymes.

I don't know how well light up toys would work in being white so sort of wanted to see if others had used before buying too much.

Love the smelly bottle idea- I will have a go at making them.

It also has a door each side. It's pretty fantastic just not utilised enough- if anything it's a little too big to be cosy if that makes sense

Maza
30-07-2016, 09:41 PM
I always like to think about temperature too when planning sensory experiences - it links obviously to touch. So you could put some hot water bottles in there or some of those pads that you heat up in the microwave, pocket warmers, cold pebbles etc. Also, you could do bigger sensory items, like a fleecy blanket or duvet to wrap around themselves or lie on to experience a different texture to the floor. You could put different textures on the floor, like some big sheets of bubble wrap, a smooth plastic bin liner, a slightly rough door mat, flattened cardboard box, silk throw etc.