PDA

View Full Version : Parent receives 80%fees from tax credits but still not paying

LCM123
24-07-2016, 04:54 PM
Hi, looking for a little bit of advice please.
I have a parent who claims 80% fees through tax credits. I only have her child term time but no doubt she will be claiming whole time. She used to pay monthly but ran up to 3 months worth so I had a word with her husband who paid it straight away. I spoke to her and we agreed on weekly invoices and this went well for 3 weeks. She has now not paid me since the beginning of June. I start at 7.30 but she asks me to start at 6.30 for her child but sometimes doesnt bother turning up, or will randomly appear when she's not meant too - very embarrassing when you are running out of the shower to answer the door in a towel (and not at all professional). She obviously thinks I have got psychic powers - I wish! I spoke to hubby again last week (after trying to contact her numerous times) who was furious that she had done it again. She text to say monies owed would be paid in a snotty text, then gave me daggers when I passed her at the school. I know - how dare I ask for money that I have worked for?! Still nothing. Now, my worry is that HMRC think she is paying this money to me, and obviously she isn't so it's not on my paperwork, but I've kept a log of invoices and attempted contact. Do I ring them up and tell them that I am not receiving this money? I honestly don't think that I will receive any of it now as her LO told me on the last day of term that she is not coming back. I have also just seen via a mutual friend's facebook that she has booked 2 holidays within the next 6 weeks. Who would I contact at HMRC to deal with this? Thanks in advance. Sorry if anything doesn't make sense - I am so upset that someone has the nerve to do this

sarah707
26-07-2016, 07:33 AM
My contract says no money = no childcare in pretty strong terms and conditions so if payment is not received the child goes home with the parent until fees are up-to-date.

It's so hard when you are now behind a few months but you need to be strong - write to parent/s giving xx days to pay or legal advice will be taken - get it in writing.

Meanwhile I think you need a contract review and to update your terms and conditions. Mine are here - https://www.childcare.co.uk/free-childminder-paperwork - they are free just log in with a free account

Hope that helps x

Kiddleywinks
26-07-2016, 04:49 PM
Hi, looking for a little bit of advice please. I have a parent who claims 80% fees through tax credits. I only have her child term time but no doubt she will be claiming whole time. She used to pay monthly but ran up to 3 months worth so I had a word with her husband who paid it straight away. I spoke to her and we agreed on weekly invoices and this went well for 3 weeks. She has now not paid me since the beginning of June. I start at 7.30 but she asks me to start at 6.30 for her child but sometimes doesnt bother turning up, or will randomly appear when she's not meant too - very embarrassing when you are running out of the shower to answer the door in a towel (and not at all professional). She obviously thinks I have got psychic powers - I wish! I spoke to hubby again last week (after trying to contact her numerous times) who was furious that she had done it again. She text to say monies owed would be paid in a snotty text, then gave me daggers when I passed her at the school. I know - how dare I ask for money that I have worked for?! Still nothing. Now, my worry is that HMRC think she is paying this money to me, and obviously she isn't so it's not on my paperwork, but I've kept a log of invoices and attempted contact. Do I ring them up and tell them that I am not receiving this money? I honestly don't think that I will receive any of it now as her LO told me on the last day of term that she is not coming back. I have also just seen via a mutual friend's facebook that she has booked 2 holidays within the next 6 weeks. Who would I contact at HMRC to deal with this? Thanks in advance. Sorry if anything doesn't make sense - I am so upset that someone has the nerve to do this

Parents will only get upto a maximum of 70% towards their childcare.
You only need to keep a record of payments received from parent, not where that money has come from, so if they have/are overclaiming, it won't affect you.
You can inform HMRC if you think your EY number is being used fraudulently, but they won't confirm or deny either way due to data protection.
The number to call is: 08453003941

Going forward....
Has dad also signed the contract? If he has, then I would send them both a polite 'quick reminder' by text that fees are now overdue and need paying within the next 24 hours.
If he hasn't, then you shouldn't really be discussing it with him, so I would just text her.

If you don't receive anything by midnight Wednesday, then first thing Thursday I would be sending a signed for recorded delivery letter stating:
Fees due for care provided from X date to X date
Late fees due if applicable
Payment now due in full by (you have to give another 7 days) or you will be instructing your legal team to chase outstanding amount due

At this point, I wouldn't be concerned about mentioning notice periods or whether it's being given or not - child may have gotten it wrong, and if they haven't, tbh, I'd be letting them go without notice.

Contact your insurers now, today, to let them know where you're at and what you're about to do, as it can take them a few days to confirm you are covered.

As Sarah has pointed out, you really need to toughen up with payments, there's no easy way to say it.
Look at your fees policy, if you aren't following your procedures, parents sure as hell won't.
If your policy is a bit vague, redo it and tighten it up.

LCM123
26-07-2016, 07:45 PM
Thanks, I have amended all contracts 2 month ago (literally a week before her last payment) to add 10% onto the bill after 2 weeks and cease care of the child after 4 weeks. I need to toughen up and not feel sorry for the child when I am turning them away from the door, but this has been a lesson to me and it won't be happening again. Yes, dad signed the contract too otherwise I wouldn't have spoken to him, she is the primary contact though so I tried ringing, texting and writing to her for 7 weeks. Dad drops off, not mum, or I would have asked her face to face. I work closely with the local nursery who used to have the child before me (I used to teach in the local state nursery so we had regular meetings which have carried on as we share a few children) and she has been going through legal action since 2013 and is no further forward. It's a small place where we live and looking back now, I should have known there was a possibility of it coming to this through hear say. I really don't think that I will receive any payment so I've contacted my insurance today and have posted it to her in writing that I am terminating the contract with immediate affect as she has broken the agreement by not paying. I've also text her and sent a message through my business page (which I can see has been read).
I also spoke to the lady who overlooks childminders in my region and she said to keep records of attempted contact - I have screen shots of me contacting the number which mum agreed to me recording in her contract, I've all records of bank transfers, copies of invoices and copies of letters. She gave me the same number as you too, so I have given them a call too.
Thank you