PDA

View Full Version : New childminder wrap around care

Sarah76
20-07-2016, 09:36 PM
Hi everyone, I have two children of my own, 6 and 9 and I have worked in a school for the last 6 years, I also have my degree in education. I am considering becoming a childminder from September/October time offering wrap around care before and after school. I was just wondering if anyone can give me any advise on whether this is feasible and also what the pros and cons are? Thanks everyone

sarah707
21-07-2016, 08:18 AM
Hi! A local childminder does this - she is a ta in the classroom and brings older children to school / takes them home again after work.

She is registered on the Childcare Register (not the Eyfs) and only takes children from year 1 upwards.

She always seems quite full!!

It depends if there is good after-school provision in your area though - if there's a club and it's subsidised / cheap it might not be worthwhile ...

Wishing you luck! Let us know how you are getting on :D

k1rstie
21-07-2016, 12:52 PM
My initial thoughts. What's would happen if you needed to go out with your class on a trip and weren't due to be back until after school had normally finished or if the kids were on an inset day and you weren't, or if the children were off due to strike action and you weren't??

moggy
21-07-2016, 01:35 PM
Do you mean you will still work in the school, but will have before and after-school mindees to take/collect from the school you are working in?
As well as what has already been mentioned, are you sure you want to come home to more hours of school children?!
Would there be any professional issues with you CMing children you may also teach in school (are you a teacher? you don't say specifically)- that's a very close mix of work and home life. From the teachers I know, sometimes school is best left at school.
You'd also need to be clear to parents up front whether you are offering school-holiday cover too (and what about inset days?)

Sarah76
21-07-2016, 03:41 PM
Sorry I think my post was confusing. I would leave my school setting and just be a child minder. There is alot of demand at my children's school for wrap around care as the after school club is full and there's a long waiting list. I'm just trying to establish the pros and cons of providing term time wrap around care and if anyone does it what a typical afternoon after school likes like? Thanks

BallyH
21-07-2016, 05:41 PM
I use to do this when I worked at a preschool and, for me, it worked really well. I just had 2 minded children as I also had my son. It caused no problem during the preschool hours as I felt the whole preschool staff team were in charge of them not just me like I think I would if it was one of my own children.

In holidays they stayed the whole day with me and I charged the hours used. Back then I divided my week working at the preschool job and child minding. I still collect one of the girls from the local school now and she has been with me 6 years. So I would consider it a success.