PDA

View Full Version : training course for asthma? please help

emmas
20-07-2016, 12:43 PM
Hi all, I posted the other day about my new mindee and asthma. Mindee is only 2 so cannot be diagnosed, but is under consultant care, and will need inhaler while in my care. I have been looking for training courses that might incorporate asthma care, but cannot find anything, has anybody attended such a thing? I want to make sure I handle this correctly, especially as I am due my first ever inspection within the next 16 months.

Thanks all Emma

loocyloo
20-07-2016, 01:38 PM
The asthma nurse at my surgery showed me and then signed a sheet of paper to say she had done so.

tulip0803
20-07-2016, 04:38 PM
I have used the asthma nurse at the child's surgery who went through what I should do and how/when o use medication.

There is also an online course you could do as well but I would always recommend the child's medical team before anything else as it is face to face, relevant to the individual child and practical x

https://www.supportingchildrenshealth.org/asthma-module/

sarah707
21-07-2016, 08:28 AM
Parents can train you and sign to say they have shown you how and told you when to use the inhaler - and you write a care plan together to ensure the child's needs are met ...

You will need to record every set of puffs - date and time - sign and parents sign or initial to confirm they know you've done it :D

emmas
23-07-2016, 03:56 PM
Thankyou so much for all your help folks, I will have another discussion with the parents, and see if I can get to see their practice nurse before little one starts in a few weeks. They are still based a good hour away from me so that's at least half a day trip for me, so I may see if perhaps some form of written careplan can be provided, and maybe training at my local practice, or from the parents as Sarah707 mentioned.

I just want to make sure I offer the best care I can for their little one.

Thanks again

Emma.