PDA

View Full Version : Heatwave next week

mumofone
16-07-2016, 07:57 AM
Will you be taking the kids out or staying in? I get so worried in the high temps that I err on keeping them inside...

moggy
16-07-2016, 08:18 AM
Early mornings we are out, keep to the shade as the day goes on and all in for naps anyway after lunch.

alex__17
16-07-2016, 01:52 PM
We go out earlier than normal to parks etc as air still cooler, then have a big gazebo out in garden although it's often too hot even under that at hottest time of day as our garden doesn't get any shade until about 4pm, at which point they're all outside in the paddling pool or sprinkler :-)

BallyH
16-07-2016, 03:17 PM
Early mornings we are out, keep to the shade as the day goes on and all in for naps anyway after lunch.

I do this.

But I'm very excited at thinking about all the washing I can catch up with! I feel I'm a 'great' mummy when I've got a big line of washing out on a sunny day.

alex__17
16-07-2016, 03:28 PM
I know, I love that I can wash everything and it all be dry by lunchtime...was gutted to have to hang things on my heated airer earlier in the week as it has got drenched 3 times on the washing line in the downpours!
I hope this is the beginning of summer, especially as it's my 4 year olds bouncy castle party in our garden next Saturday...!

Maza
17-07-2016, 06:05 PM
I have never had a washing line as an adult! I love having my washing drying inside as I love the smell of the detergent! Plus, I have lived in flats for the past sixteen years.

I'm lucky with my garden as there are so many trees around it that there is always plenty of shade and so we just move all of the toys from one side of the garden to another so that the children can play in the shade. I'm not really a sun lover (except when I'm abroad with a pool and sun lounger) and so I always cross the road from one side to another so that I can walk in the shade. My mindees used to always comment on this and there was only one poor mindee who loved the sun and so I could tell that he felt badly done to, bless him. We would walk in the sun for a little while to get some vitamin D (not sure how long it takes to get your daily quota) but then we would stick to the shade. The woods are nice places to go to when really sunny as they are usually cool and shady.

We usually make smoothies or fresh juices on really hot days because even though all mine have loved drinking water, I like to give them a big cool drink after outdoor play that I know they will all finish rather quickly, whereas with water they all tend to sip on it continuously throughout the day.

BallyH
17-07-2016, 06:11 PM
I think I read somewhere that it is about 10mins daily in sunshine to get your vitamin D quota. (may be wrong - it has happened before.)

I love taking little teasets outdoors in the really warm weather. The children pour, drink, pour continuously. Very good for hand to eye, independence and keeping hydrated.

mumofone
18-07-2016, 12:23 PM
Do they have any rules at schools and nurseries and pre schools in a heatwave?

samb
18-07-2016, 02:22 PM
Different schools will have different rules I am sure?

Personally I also go out in the morning and stay either inside or under our covered area between lunch and school pick up. After this we have an hour outside before tea time and I will get out water play.

In the summer holidays I will get out a gazebo too so there is more shade. I'm fully in the sun for the majority of the day here.

I freeze frubes for snack and give ice poles for the older kids. Fresh water all the time. Sun cream applied before they come and then reapplied after lunch. Everyone has a legionnaire style hat.

mama2three
18-07-2016, 05:40 PM
this is how we spent the afternoon ;)

Maza
18-07-2016, 07:14 PM
this is how we spent the afternoon ;)

Fantastic! Lucky children. So much nicer than being stuck in a nursery all afternoon.

mumofone
19-07-2016, 06:48 AM
I think I'm Going to stay in completely today, due to be 32 degrees! Argh!

clareelizabeth1
19-07-2016, 08:56 AM
Kids been here since 7. Have been outside since they got here. Not have the pool out n all children sitting in it to get cool.

mumofone
19-07-2016, 09:09 AM
Yeh I changed my mind, we've been out too, but are back in as think they were wilting already!

Mouse
19-07-2016, 09:39 AM
I've got an 11 month old and a 21 month old here today. We went out into the garden just after 8am. We came in just before 10 and they were both fast asleep within minutes. I'd kept the curtains closed and the fan on in the room they sleep in, so it's lovely and cool in there for them.

They should both sleep until lunchtime, then we'll go out in short bursts throughout the afternoon.

FloraDora
19-07-2016, 05:10 PM
Out first thing - had breakfast outside.
We put up our family camping tent today - all of my garden then became shade and the novelty was attractive - we made it in to a garden centre where we planted up salad bowls, with a cafe where we ate....came in in the last hour of the morning to smash the raspberries we picked and made icing for the cakes DH had made. We re made the ice blocks with hidden toys for tomorrow and popped them in the garage freezer then back out for lunch in the cafe, rest time in the tent - all 3 slept and I had to wake them up....meanwhile D H and I enjoyed reading in the shade ...a lovely day for both children and us!

mumofone
19-07-2016, 06:41 PM
It was 32 degrees here today, not sure what it was where you all are but well done for surviving it better than me by the sounds of it!!

alex__17
19-07-2016, 08:49 PM
Yes up to 32 here, 3 school runs where I walked and little ones were shaded in the big buggy, I've got a lovely shoulder and arm tan, not such a great flip flop mark on my feet though!
We had our usual singing class this morning, then after lunch and naps my sons nursery leaving picnic in their garden which was thankfully lovely and shaded with a breeze, then home to our sun trap garden which was unbearable but a tiny bit of shade with sprinkler going and paddling pool out kept everyone cool and happy for the rest of the afternoon!
I'm still boiling now, tomorrow was meant to be cooler but is saying 29 again so not going to be much cooler! We're going to go strawberry picking as it has a shady playground, ice cream cafe and massive sail shade thing for picnics :-)
Felt unbearable this heat and hard work pushing buggy back and forth in the baking heat but I much prefer it to the torrential and continuous rain of last week!

mumofone
19-07-2016, 09:24 PM
I've got an 11 month old and a 21 month old here today. We went out into the garden just after 8am. We came in just before 10 and they were both fast asleep within minutes. I'd kept the curtains closed and the fan on in the room they sleep in, so it's lovely and cool in there for them. They should both sleep until lunchtime, then we'll go out in short bursts throughout the afternoon.

Just out of interest mouse, what do your 11 month and 21 month old get up to in the garden?

samb
19-07-2016, 09:29 PM
We paddled in a river this morning - it was fantastic. We caught leaves that went passed us in the current, plopped stones in and guessed the height of the splashes, filled containers in a little waterfall and laughed every single time a vehicle drove through the ford part. And it was so cool on my ankles and feet - bliss. We had a picnic in the shade and then stayed inside between 1-5:30 other than school run in the car.

catswhiskers
19-07-2016, 09:57 PM
I'm so glad you started this mumofone. I usually go out in the morning without fail to a group or the park but then thought why should I run myself ragged as knew it was going to be very hot.

So, I have a large back garden with shade until 11.30 so my 18 month and 20 month old had a lovely time with water/slide play and everything else.

They had lunch, nap time and then more play in the garden and inside with book time, dinner time, but I still felt it was a very long day not going out and was wilting by the time the parents collected. It doesn't help that one parent always lingers and of course their child always ends up upset!

Served dinner, washed up, tidied up, then off to Sains to get bits for another group I run which has the party tomorrow morning. Still making sandwiches at 9 tonight and just sat down so it all starts again tomorrow!

Just another day in our childminding world.

Don't worry though by the end of the week it will be a bit cooler hopefully!

Mouse
20-07-2016, 05:30 AM
Just out of interest mouse, what do your 11 month and 21 month old get up to in the garden?

I've got a small playhouse, a slide, a rocker, sand & water tables and a play kitchen that are permanently out. Then I've got some covered shelves where they can help themselves to balls, beanbags, ribbon sticks, play food, natural resources (pine cones, shells, stones, driftwood) etc.

Yesterday I also set up a play tent and got out 2 garages and lots of cars.

They spent a lot of the time going up and down the slide - 21 month old by himself while I helped the baby. Then they played in and out of the playhouse, mainly opening and shutting the door. They did sit and play with the cars for a while and went in & out of the tent, throwing themselves round inside it and knocking it over several times - they found it hilarious.
Before we came inside I put the tuff spot on the ground and put some water in it. They crawled through it, sat in it, splashed toys in it.

At that age I pretty much leave them to do their own thing. The baby is just starting to walk so likes plenty of space to totter around. He's not bother about there being much to play with, he just likes to be on the move the whole time.

FloraDora
21-07-2016, 09:16 PM
Today I set up my garden ....... I had this idea that it was going to be a little cooler, so lots of opportunity to stay in the garden...water wall sorted, ramps, gardening etc....my two 3 year olds just wanted to play with their babies ( dolls) ...in the house....in the hall - justifying that the hall was cool too ( as well as in the shade/ tent outside). One is moving on tomorrow as she has moved 30 miles away and parents have continued to bring her to me since March....so only one more day to play together....I just watched and listened and planned next week walking/ photography with DH.
When home time came they both said they didn't want to go...they wanted to stay here forever....sometimes you just have to go with the flow...
DH chuntered as he packed away the garden activities that had not been played with....they chose dolls over his water wall!!! ...he just does not get the call of dolls when you are 3!

mumofone
21-07-2016, 09:26 PM
Today I set up my garden ....... I had this idea that it was going to be a little cooler, so lots of opportunity to stay in the garden...water wall sorted, ramps, gardening etc....my two 3 year olds just wanted to play with their babies ( dolls) ...in the house....in the hall - justifying that the hall was cool too ( as well as in the shade/ tent outside). One is moving on tomorrow as she has moved 30 miles away and parents have continued to bring her to me since March....so only one more day to play together....I just watched and listened and planned next week walking/ photography with DH. When home time came they both said they didn't want to go...they wanted to stay here forever....sometimes you just have to go with the flow... DH chuntered as he packed away the garden activities that had not been played with....they chose dolls over his water wall!!! ...he just does not get the call of dolls when you are 3!

Fd, I hope you don't me asking but would you and your husband otherwise be retired or was childminding a conscious career choice for you both? X

FloraDora
21-07-2016, 10:20 PM
Fd, I hope you don't me asking but would you and your husband otherwise be retired or was childminding a conscious career choice for you both? X

DH retired ...with dreams of creating in wood.on his lathe and in his blacksmiths workshop....and Lego, riding his bike, taking photos...cooking..exploring local and national historical sites..
I semi retired early and became an educational consultant....a close friend who unfortunately had no parents was trying to path out a career after having her child...I looked after her LO occasionally to help out...as a surrogate grandparent. She wanted to return to work....I was enjoying my days with LO more than my days with grown ups....we decided childminding was the way forward, she would feel happier if she paid me...I would be earning and therefore able to drop the grown up work...it suited all.
DH became my chief cook, bottle washer, caretaker, toy mender, secretary.cleaner.... Extra money pays into our real retirement pot/ holidays/ nice things....he's happy...the LO's join him on his creating as our sons did...LO accompanies us to RSPB/ zoo/ national heritage visits.
Original parent spreads the word...friends ask, parents have babies.....it just developed...we both now love our days ....only 3 days in September which is perfect.
So...arrived here accidently but have thrown my heart and Saul into it...lovely to have the freedom to follow my vision ...
DH is still just that, but does all the background roles and loves it as much as me...but he has to chunter over...wasted energy planning things that don't happen, turning off lights...buying resources for business with money that could be used for buying camera equipt ..he reminds me of my school bursar, he halves wipes if he takes one out of the packet, he makes resources that I show an interest in buying..he is not happy if LO's do not love his new vegetable/ fruit concoctions from the garden produce..but he secretly loves his days as much as I do...he isn't here all of the time as his interests keep him busy, but he does tell folk that the business is now his biggest interest.....he still gets to cook, bake, build Lego, make things....
When our last LO starts school of our 4 families...then we are off on a grown ups gap few years, my childminding will be funding this ...but I am already deciding on the resources I will keep....just in case...as I am hooked on playing!

BallyH
22-07-2016, 08:14 AM
DH retired ...with dreams of creating in wood.on his lathe and in his blacksmiths workshop....and Lego, riding his bike, taking photos...cooking..exploring local and national historical sites..
I semi retired early and became an educational consultant....a close friend who unfortunately had no parents was trying to path out a career after having her child...I looked after her LO occasionally to help out...as a surrogate grandparent. She wanted to return to work....I was enjoying my days with LO more than my days with grown ups....we decided childminding was the way forward, she would feel happier if she paid me...I would be earning and therefore able to drop the grown up work...it suited all.
DH became my chief cook, bottle washer, caretaker, toy mender, secretary.cleaner.... Extra money pays into our real retirement pot/ holidays/ nice things....he's happy...the LO's join him on his creating as our sons did...LO accompanies us to RSPB/ zoo/ national heritage visits.
Original parent spreads the word...friends ask, parents have babies.....it just developed...we both now love our days ....only 3 days in September which is perfect.
So...arrived here accidently but have thrown my heart and Saul into it...lovely to have the freedom to follow my vision ...
DH is still just that, but does all the background roles and loves it as much as me...but he has to chunter over...wasted energy planning things that don't happen, turning off lights...buying resources for business with money that could be used for buying camera equipt ..he reminds me of my school bursar, he halves wipes if he takes one out of the packet, he makes resources that I show an interest in buying..he is not happy if LO's do not love his new vegetable/ fruit concoctions from the garden produce..but he secretly loves his days as much as I do...he isn't here all of the time as his interests keep him busy, but he does tell folk that the business is now his biggest interest.....he still gets to cook, bake, build Lego, make things....
When our last LO starts school of our 4 families...then we are off on a grown ups gap few years, my childminding will be funding this ...but I am already deciding on the resources I will keep....just in case...as I am hooked on playing!
You both sound content and I feel I should send you a big hug! (but don't know where the hug icon is - sorry).