PDA

View Full Version : Parent as Facebook friend

Snowwhite
15-07-2016, 09:51 PM
A parent who's young son is due to start with me in Sept ( 1 day a week) has requested me as a facebook friend. How should i word it correctly ( in a text message) that basically i do not want any minded kids parents as facebook friends? It's my personal life that i don't want mixed with work. All my settings on Facebook are private so parents shouldn't be able to snoop! It's not me being rude but whether there ex parents or current i do not want them as FB friends. I do think that they must like me as a person though to request me! This mum that has requested me is very nice so i would rather text her an explanation rather than just ignoring her request or clicking the dismiss button!

BallyH
15-07-2016, 09:54 PM
Just tell her what you've just said. You do and want to continue keeping both separate. I do and so far as I know no one has taken offence.

Snowwhite
15-07-2016, 10:05 PM
Thanks. Yes i'm sure she'll understand and think nothing of it. I don't even have a business page on there. Although i have nothing to hide on my FB page and i never talk about work on there i still wanna keep work and business separate. Answered my own question there i think!!!?

BallyH
15-07-2016, 10:09 PM
Thanks. Yes i'm sure she'll understand and think nothing of it. I don't even have a business page on there. Although i have nothing to hide on my FB page and i never talk about work on there i still wanna keep work and business separate. Answered my own question there i think!!!?

I don't have a fb business page either and have never mentioned work or any minded children.

sarah707
16-07-2016, 08:26 PM
I only friend parents when they leave - if we've been friendly enough :D

bunyip
18-07-2016, 11:56 AM
Facebook + "friend" = oxymoron. :(

Facebook; devaluing the language since 2004.

mumofone
18-07-2016, 12:00 PM
Facebook + "friend" = oxymoron. :( Facebook; devaluing the language since 2004.

Lol, err not a fan then bunyip?! :-)

samb
18-07-2016, 02:24 PM
Have you told them now you'd prefer not to be friends on Facebook? How did it go?

I've had this a few times and I just say I keep my business separate from friendship. I have a parents group and they can join that. They love it.

If parents have been friends then I will accept friendship after their children leave. I have 4 ex parents on there as friends now.

Snowwhite
19-07-2016, 09:03 PM
Yes i've told the mum via a text message. She was absolutely fine about it. (phew!!) don't know why i worried! I said thanks for requesting me as a facebook friend but i'm afraid i don't tend to add minded children's parents as i prefer that way. She understood as she's a teacher.

samb
19-07-2016, 09:22 PM
That's good. I think we feel awkward about keeping business and pleasure separate when it is perfectly reasonable.