PDA

View Full Version : Nappy changing

mumofone
15-07-2016, 12:39 PM
I bought the largest changing mat I could find and change children on the floor in my living room. However, I would still like some protection between the mat and my carpets! I change lots of mucky nappies aNd it's only a matter of time before it's not all contained on the mat! What do you all use? I was thinking of getting one of those large paper rolls that you get in beauty salons or when you go to the doctors to protect the floor before the mat goes down. Interested in everyone's set ups....
:-)

Lal
15-07-2016, 01:30 PM
I have wooden floors but tend to lay half an ikea fleece blanket down to kneel on or to take in the car for nappy changing in the boot (I have different colours for different things so a 'nappy' blankets are only used for that) They survive a 90* wash.

mumofone
15-07-2016, 01:32 PM
I have wooden floors but tend to lay half an ikea fleece blanket down to kneel on or to take in the car for nappy changing in the boot (I have different colours for different things so a 'nappy' blankets are only used for that) They survive a 90* wash.

Lol thanks lal, I won't ask what colour it is! ;-) x

Mouse
15-07-2016, 02:18 PM
In all my years as a mum and as a childminder I don't think I've ever had an incident of nappy contents escaping the changing mat.

Now that I've said that, what's the betting it'll happen next week :laughing:

I don't think I'd use paper roll as it's just more waste to put in the bin, especially when it'll rarely be dirtied. I think I'd use a towel, if you want something you could wash in the machine, or some of that plastic table cloth if you'd be happy with something you could wipe down. I've got lots of bits of PVC printed tablecloth from Dunelm and use them for all sorts of things. I buy it by the metre and have all sorts of designs. It's so handy to put on tables for craft and meal times, on the floor, under the highchair, use in the garden. It also makes great bases for small world play, or cut to shape and put in the bottom of a tuff spot.

These are a couple of my favourites for the tuff spot

Grass Printed PVC Fabric | Dunelm (http://www.dunelm.com/product/grass-printed-pvc-fabric-1000002754?searchTerm=pvc%20table%20cloth)

Nemo Printed PVC Fabric | Dunelm (http://www.dunelm.com/product/nemo-printed-pvc-fabric-1000002757?searchTerm=pvc%20table%20cloth)

Helly Belly
15-07-2016, 03:22 PM
In all my years as a mum and as a childminder I don't think I've ever had an incident of nappy contents escaping the changing mat. Now that I've said that, what's the betting it'll happen next week :laughing: I don't think I'd use paper roll as it's just more waste to put in the bin, especially when it'll rarely be dirtied. I think I'd use a towel, if you want something you could wash in the machine, or some of that plastic table cloth if you'd be happy with something you could wipe down. I've got lots of bits of PVC printed tablecloth from Dunelm and use them for all sorts of things. I buy it by the metre and have all sorts of designs. It's so handy to put on tables for craft and meal times, on the floor, under the highchair, use in the garden. It also makes great bases for small world play, or cut to shape and put in the bottom of a tuff spot. These are a couple of my favourites for the tuff spot Grass Printed PVC Fabric | Dunelm (http://www.dunelm.com/product/grass-printed-pvc-fabric-1000002754?searchTerm=pvc%20table%20cloth) Nemo Printed PVC Fabric | Dunelm (http://www.dunelm.com/product/nemo-printed-pvc-fabric-1000002757?searchTerm=pvc%20table%20cloth) happened time for first time in 8 years this morning !

FloraDora
15-07-2016, 06:04 PM
Generally I know if the nappy I am changing is a potential mess so I prepare in advance and I never have a mess beyond a little bit on the changing mat.

The child has a toy to occupy them so they don't suddenly dive off in a direction, I chatter and sing to keep attention too.

Nappy bag is ready before nappy comes off, open for nappy to be pooped in. Several wipes are already out so instant wipe stops most...

Nappy is taken off and folded as I do it wipe is in other hand and wiping at the same time.

Gloves on so I am not bothered in touching / wiping when I have to.

Works a treat!

mumofone
16-07-2016, 08:05 AM
Thanks guys I think a towel I can wash on 90 degrees is the way to go then. Thank you! :-)