PDA

View Full Version : Right to request?

mumofone
05-07-2016, 03:45 PM
Does anyone m me how the right to request childcare works with schools? Apparently parents can request it, I know a family who need care past the time the school club runs until so can they ask for it to be extended? I can't see this would happen if the person running it doesn't want to work later than they already do?

loocyloo
05-07-2016, 04:13 PM
I don't know how it works with any other school, but at our school, if a parent requires afterschool care they give them local minders contact details /point them in the direction of afterschool club.
Afterschool club say they pass childminders details on if parents need longer care, but I can't say I've ever had any calls! Mind you, I would not be going out at 5pm to pick up from afterschool club!

moggy
05-07-2016, 04:59 PM
The right to request thing is just that- a request, school is under no obligation to fullfil that request. So really is pretty meaningless I think, just the Gov trying to look like they are doing something to help working parents. No one can 'make' a school or any other organisation or CMer open any hours they do not want to.

mumofone
05-07-2016, 05:04 PM
The right to request thing is just that- a request, school is under no obligation to fullfil that request. So really is pretty meaningless I think, just the Gov trying to look like they are doing something to help working parents. No one can 'make' a school or any other organisation or CMer open any hours they do not want to.

Thanks moggy, this is exactly what I thought! I just wondered if i was missing something...

sarah707
06-07-2016, 06:50 AM
I have a feeling this has been updated recently (it's Dec 2015) but I haven't time to hunt I have children due...

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/482501/Wraparound-and-holiday-childcare-draft-departmental-advice-for-schools.pdf

Hopefully it will give you some answers :D

Kiddleywinks
10-07-2016, 06:04 AM
Sarah's correct, this has been updated.
The current document is May 2016:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/525135/Rights_to_request_guidance.pdf