PDA

View Full Version : Child that talks non-stop...

Mouse
05-07-2016, 01:56 PM
...and I do mean non-stop :panic:

This child doesn't pause for breath the whole day. He is constantly talking, interrupting anyone else who's trying to talk, talking all the way through story time, talking over everyone else. It's exhausting!

I've read about how sometimes young children can't think in their head, so every thought they have comes out in words. That certainly sums him up.

I know it's not unusual, although I have never had a child quite like this. Do you do anything to stop your constant talkers talking? I do try to make him wait and listen to others - he'll continually talk when another child is trying to tell us something. And I do read each story (at least) twice, once so he can talk through it and once when he has to say nothing and listen.

He'll be starting school in September and there are going to be times when he has to be quiet. Other than working on listening skills, do you have any tips for helping him learn that he must stop talking at times?

chris goodyear
05-07-2016, 02:28 PM
I have one like that and she is starting school in September too. A lot of it is rubbish and she talks for the sake of talking but also I think to gain attention. If I'm talking to mum she will interrupt and it's usually about nothing e.g. I hurt my finger last week,month , year! sometimes mum stops talking to me and sometimes will tell her to wait. I always make her wait till people have finished their conversation, might be a bit hard but I think she has to learn. I will maybe ask 'is it important?' and usually it's not and they realise that, it's a sort of prompt to make them think about it. Another 5 year old here is the same and coming home from school yesterday he interrupted so I asked the question and got a yes for an answer. So the original conversation with another child was stopped while I asked him what was it he wanted to say - The reply was 'are we there yet?':angry: He's been here for a year and knows how far we have to go. Needless to say I was not happy with him and made sure he knew!!

Maza
05-07-2016, 04:27 PM
There's the good old 'pass the shell/pebble/cuddly toy' etc activity. So if you do a circle time, the only person who can speak is the one holding the shell/teddy etc. and when they have said their piece they pass it on. Really lay on the praise if she manages to be silent whilst one person is speaking, so that they can become aware of their behaviour and so that they get attention for the desired behaviour rather than the negative behaviour. Also, really give loads of attention to the other children who do manage it when he/she doesn't. It will be a while before they can transfer these skills to real life, unstructured situations but it is a start!

Kiddleywinks
06-07-2016, 06:13 AM
My DS was like that, if it wasn't talking, it was humming, if it wasn't humming it was singing... He had to have some sort of noise coming out of his mouth :panic:
I had to 'turn off' in the end as it drove me to distraction.

Interrupting is a massive bug bear of mine, so if he tried, I would put my hand on his shoulder so he was aware I'd heard him, and so I knew he had something to say, but he had to be quiet until I'd finished my conversation.
If he continued to interrupt I would remove my hand and I wouldn't listen to him.
It didn't work all the time, but I'd say 7/10 times I was able to finish a conversation relatively uninterrupted.

sarah707
06-07-2016, 06:49 AM
We use hand on hand for children who struggle to wait before launching into a story.

They come up and put their hand on my hand - that tells me that they want me...

I put my hand on theirs to acknowledge and ask them to wait a moment...

Then I give them my full attention when I've finished with the other child or the job / story / song etc.

It can take a while to teach but it generally works well and a quick reminder is all that's needed if the child is overflowing and forgets :D

Mouse
06-07-2016, 07:11 AM
Thanks all.

I think it's been so drummed into me that I should be listening to children, giving them time to speak, not interupting them etc, that it feels wrong to be telling them to stop talking.

It's good to know that others do see this as an issue that needs addressing and it's not just a case of me getting fed up of listening to him! Mum asked me to have him a couple of extra days this week and I was tempted to say no because I just cannot cope with the constant talking.

When he said my name for the millionth time yesterday I did ask him if it was something important he needed to tell me. He paused, said no, but then went on to tell anyway. At least we had a pause though, so that's an improvement! I'm going to try out some of these techniques and hope my ears my get a break soon!

mumofone
07-07-2016, 08:24 AM
Thanks all. I think it's been so drummed into me that I should be listening to children, giving them time to speak, not interupting them etc, that it feels wrong to be telling them to stop talking. It's good to know that others do see this as an issue that needs addressing and it's not just a case of me getting fed up of listening to him! Mum asked me to have him a couple of extra days this week and I was tempted to say no because I just cannot cope with the constant talking. When he said my name for the millionth time yesterday I did ask him if it was something important he needed to tell me. He paused, said no, but then went on to tell anyway. At least we had a pause though, so that's an improvement! I'm going to try out some of these techniques and hope my ears my get a break soon!

This isn't the child that's leaving is it mouse? Wondered if you're due a break?! ;-)

Mouse
07-07-2016, 09:20 AM
This isn't the child that's leaving is it mouse? Wondered if you're due a break?! ;-)

Ha ha...yes it is!!

:laughing::laughing:

BallyH
07-07-2016, 12:19 PM
Is one of the parent's as chatty? Collection must be a nightmare.

Mouse
07-07-2016, 12:58 PM
Is one of the parent's as chatty? Collection must be a nightmare.

Dad never utters more than a couple of words, but mum can be a bit of a chatterbox. Nothing like her son though!

Having watched him the last couple days I think a lot of the problem is that he's got a very short concentration span. He never gets fully engrossed in anything and is always listening into every other conversation. Someone else in the room only needs to mention something, or pick up a toy and he's got to comment on it.