PDA

View Full Version : Role play clothes

mumofone
29-06-2016, 10:33 AM
I am about to start updating my role play costumes/outfits/hats etc for the children and wondered if any one can tell me if they recommend any particular place to get them? I don't want to spend loads...

FussyElmo
29-06-2016, 10:41 AM
I am about to start updating my role play costumes/outfits/hats etc for the children and wondered if any one can tell me if they recommend any particular place to get them? I don't want to spend loads...

Charity shops put on a request of any social media.

But don't forget hats gloves and materials are also good for dressing up and let's the children be more imaginative

loocyloo
29-06-2016, 11:10 AM
I don't have actual 'costumes' just assortment of hats - job specific- Crown, train driver, police etc plus assorted other hats (wilkos have builder, police man and fireman at £2? each), selection of children's waistcoats, floaty/patterned/shaped scarves, a couple of (superhero/knights) capes, bags, and lots of accessories such as jewellery, purses and cards, phones, cameras etc. Oh and a selection of fairy wings and wands.

Just remembered, I have a big bag of foam animal masks. No one plays with them currently but 2 years ago that was all they ever did!

Most of it came from charity shops/car boots etc.

Mouse
29-06-2016, 11:46 AM
I find that with a lot of the ready made costumes, the children need help to get them on and off, so I prefer things they can do themselves. I have lots of hats (bought really cheap from Claire's a few years ago), bags, phones, scarves, fabric pieces, waistcoats, pull on skirts, jewellery, wands, wings, etc.

I pick things up when I'm out and about and don't specifically go out to look for role play clothes. Recently I bought a belly dancing skirt (long piece of material with bells on it), which has been very popular. I've also got a sari and some chinese clothes - proper ones, not dressing up ones - that I found in a charity shop.

mumofone
29-06-2016, 11:49 AM
I find that with a lot of the ready made costumes, the children need help to get them on and off, so I prefer things they can do themselves. I have lots of hats (bought really cheap from Claire's a few years ago), bags, phones, scarves, fabric pieces, waistcoats, pull on skirts, jewellery, wands, wings, etc. I pick things up when I'm out and about and don't specifically go out to look for role play clothes. Recently I bought a belly dancing skirt (long piece of material with bells on it), which has been very popular. I've also got a sari and some chinese clothes - proper ones, not dressing up ones - that I found in a charity shop.

Argh mouse perfect! I'll try Claire's, I hadn't even considered there! Thank you :-) x

Mouse
29-06-2016, 11:54 AM
Argh mouse perfect! I'll try Claire's, I hadn't even considered there! Thank you :-) x

Check out their sale rails, especially when they have the 5 for £5 clearance. They often have lovely headscarves in the sale as well.

FloraDora
29-06-2016, 02:05 PM
Like others I have pull on pull off clothes. I have made tabards so that are useful for role play, a Red /green Cross on some means they generally wear it for being a doctor /vet/ nurse/ dentist. Just plain colourful ones for their own imagination. Home made RA RA skirts, capes and lots and lots of different scarves.

Maza
29-06-2016, 03:56 PM
I had one little one who used to come dressed as a super hero most days and another who would come dressed in the latest football kit (his favourite dressing up clothes) and so I never really felt the need to buy many commercial dressing up outfits, apart from hats - which I always get from charity shops.

Big scarves/pieces of fabric/sarongs with clothes pegs (to hold fabric together around neck like a cape) have been the most popular here. I do have some of DDs old princess dresses/tiaras/wings/dinosaur outfit.

Costume jewellery is always popular, especially if it's presented in interesting containers, such as old or modern jewellery boxes/treasure chests, or on those tree/mug holder things.

Bags/purses and wallets containing old plastic cards or real train tickets and keys are great. Binocular, torches and maps make good props. Old phones or walkie talkies are fab too.

I've just asked DD and she said 'wigs'. We have accumulated quite a few over the years, with various themed weeks at school etc.

I remember in my reception class at school there was a tutu which I was desperate to wear but I was never fast enough to get a turn.

Quite often here it is the soft toys that get dressed up, and so again the fabric and pegs come in handy.