PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

mumofone
16-06-2016, 09:32 AM
I look after a 2 yr old who is with me three times a week full days but never poos, I can count on one hand the amount of soiled Nappies I've done. This seems very odd to me especially as all other mindees are nice and regular! Their diet seems quite limited which I've tried to work on to no avail, any ideas?

chris goodyear
16-06-2016, 09:43 AM
I know some older children don't like 'going' while in school and can train their bodies to wait until they are home but 2 is a bit young for that. Also as mindee is still in nappies it does seem a bit strange. My little ones who are now just toilet trained and are not in nappies don't tend to go as much ( not here anyway) so are learning to control things. Have you spoken to mum to see what happens on the days mindee is not with you? Hopefully someone will post on here something more useful!

mumofone
16-06-2016, 09:53 AM
I know some older children don't like 'going' while in school and can train their bodies to wait until they are home but 2 is a bit young for that. Also as mindee is still in nappies it does seem a bit strange. My little ones who are now just toilet trained and are not in nappies don't tend to go as much ( not here anyway) so are learning to control things. Have you spoken to mum to see what happens on the days mindee is not with you? Hopefully someone will post on here something more useful!

Thanks Chris that's what I thought. I'd expect it in an older child but like you say two seems very young to know what they are doing

mumofone
16-06-2016, 10:11 AM
I don't know how many bowel movements a day is normal for a child this age either...

Ellisha
16-06-2016, 11:10 AM
It could be that he poos once a day at roughly the same time. My DD at the same age would usually poo about half an hour after dinner every day. I'd says it's normal to only do one poo a day.

JCrakers
16-06-2016, 11:33 AM
He could be an evening poo-er :D Could do it between 5-6pm and bedtime, some kids seem to be more regular, like clockwork than others. Check with Mum

Maza
16-06-2016, 11:56 AM
I've had children like that. Just check with mum that he is regular, and if he is, count your blessings.

mumofone
16-06-2016, 11:57 AM
I've had children like that. Just check with mum that he is regular, and if he is, count your blessings.

Lol yeh I'm not complaining, amazing for me!! :-)

BallyH
16-06-2016, 12:14 PM
He could be saving it for his parents, especially bath time.

mama2three
17-06-2016, 07:16 AM
My just 2 yr old mindee hardly ever poos with me , shes been coming around a year and I think I could count the number of soiled nappies on one hand. Apparently she poos early each morning before she comes. Some people are just more 'regular' .

BlondeMoment
17-06-2016, 01:20 PM
My little boy 'goes' every morning within half an hour of waking up. Ask parents if you're worried. Bet this LO is the same

SYLVIA
18-06-2016, 08:28 PM
Doesn't matter when or how many times my 18month grandson has been, he always poos when he comes to my house- at least once!!! Maybe I'm scary and just have that affect on him

samb
18-06-2016, 08:54 PM
They can be so different with their bowl habits so if this is normal for him then it's normal. I'd double check with mum if he usually goes in the morning/ evening. My dd was on medication for constipation when she was younger and the doctor told me to try to train her to "go" in the morning every morning. Ds on the other hand goes without fail at bed time every day - I'm sure he does it deliberately lol!

mumofone
07-07-2016, 08:06 AM
So update on this...child not going at home either, is clearly constipated or holding it in in my opinion, am doing everything my end as far as I feel...lots of fluid, veg and fruit all wholemeal stuff etc but still not going. I feel like mums blaming me for this, I wonder if child needs to see doctor for medicine as I know constipation can be a big issue in young children. Any advice? X

mumofone
07-07-2016, 08:06 AM
They can be so different with their bowl habits so if this is normal for him then it's normal. I'd double check with mum if he usually goes in the morning/ evening. My dd was on medication for constipation when she was younger and the doctor told me to try to train her to "go" in the morning every morning. Ds on the other hand goes without fail at bed time every day - I'm sure he does it deliberately lol!

How old was your DD at the time Samb?

mumofone
07-07-2016, 08:07 AM
Doesn't matter when or how many times my 18month grandson has been, he always poos when he comes to my house- at least once!!! Maybe I'm scary and just have that affect on him

Haha lol, if my DS is anything to go by I must be super scary then!

loocyloo
07-07-2016, 08:07 AM
So update on this...child not going at home either, is clearly constipated or holding it in in my opinion, am doing everything my end as far as I feel...lots of fluid, veg and fruit all wholemeal stuff etc but still not going. I feel like mums blaming me for this, I wonder if child needs to see doctor for medicine as I know constipation can be a big issue in young children. Any advice? X

orange juice is great for loosening things up.

I have a LO who is on medication for constipation, it works well for her, and just keeps her 'soft' !!!!

mumofone
07-07-2016, 08:08 AM
orange juice is great for loosening things up. I have a LO who is on medication for constipation, it works well for her, and just keeps her 'soft' !!!!

How old are they loocyloo?

loocyloo
07-07-2016, 01:57 PM
How old are they loocyloo?

Just 2. Been on medication since about 20months.

samb
07-07-2016, 08:29 PM
My daughter started having issues with constipation just before she turned 2, had lactulose first and then went on to movicol between ages 2-5. By the end she only had third of a sachet every other day so basically 1 sachet a week- they have to get the dose right and slowly wean off. She's been fine since. She's 11 now. Her diet when under 4 years old was varied and no problems and she drank loads of water too. Her diet now is terrible - monotonous and although includes all food groups she is now incredibly fussy and controlling with food (she has ASD). I found it incredibly difficult at first as people would judge me and say I must be giving her a bad diet which I certainly wasn't. I used to make fab chocolate and prune muffins which were her only treat type food to try and help her "go". Wish I knew where I got the recipe actually cos they were lovely!

FloraDora
07-07-2016, 08:46 PM
The glory of providing meals for all is that if one has bowel movement issues and two are fine...then evidence would suggest it is not your food! Giving out a well balanced menu in advance helps....if parents do not think their child will eat it then there is time to discuss.
Some children have hang ups, some children need medication ...despite a good diet.
If you provide a balanced menu in advance that parents do not object to....the child eats said menu....then you have evidence that you are not to blame......if your menus do not suit child, then you and parent can discuss and you can alter with a ' this is not balanced' statement. Then if issues occur then you have an advantage on your discussions.
If the LO has hang ups which are causing issues....then address these together...it could Be psychological and child has had a bad experience and now won't pass stools...which is when medication is needed.
The alternative is parent provides all food, which you encourage to eat.....then you are out of the framework.

mumofone
08-07-2016, 04:21 PM
The glory of providing meals for all is that if one has bowel movement issues and two are fine...then evidence would suggest it is not your food! Giving out a well balanced menu in advance helps....if parents do not think their child will eat it then there is time to discuss. Some children have hang ups, some children need medication ...despite a good diet. If you provide a balanced menu in advance that parents do not object to....the child eats said menu....then you have evidence that you are not to blame......if your menus do not suit child, then you and parent can discuss and you can alter with a ' this is not balanced' statement. Then if issues occur then you have an advantage on your discussions. If the LO has hang ups which are causing issues....then address these together...it could Be psychological and child has had a bad experience and now won't pass stools...which is when medication is needed. The alternative is parent provides all food, which you encourage to eat.....then you are out of the framework.

Thanks flora, that's such a good point, if she seems particularly unhappy I could ask her to provide the food. Currently they pay for two meals and I list what they've eaten in their daily diary.
I did wonder whether providing food in prices cuts out any complaints and possible hassle! ;-)

mumofone
13-07-2016, 08:26 AM
The child is not "going" on the first of the three consecutive days they are with me which suggests to me that they are either constipated on arrival or they are withholding going at my house. If they "went" on the first day they were with me but then not on the next two days then it would seem more likely that it was because of their diet at mine...