PDA

View Full Version : Getting a 2 yo to be gentle

Ellisha
14-06-2016, 05:54 AM
I have a 2.5 year old boy I look after who insists on cuddling the two 14 month olds I look after a few times a day. The problem is is he is too forceful when he cuddles. He often pushes them over and the bang their heads on my hard floors. I'm worried they will be properly hurt at some point. I give him praise when he is gentle, I have shown him how to be gentle when he cuddles, I have been very firm with him and pointed out the LOs are upset. Nothing seems to be working. He is using a reasonable amount of force as he also does this with my 5 yo DD and can push her over and hurt her - she is very patient with him. Any ideas on how I can encourage him to be gentle? I definitely don't think he is deliberately being forceful.

chris goodyear
14-06-2016, 07:23 AM
A solution may be to only let him cuddle them when you are giving the cuddles? That way you are close and can supervise.

sarah707
15-06-2016, 08:26 PM
It's cause and effect isn't it? He pushes - they fall - they cry - he gets attention albeit negative.

I'd stop him from cuddling them if he can't be gentle - keep him with me and not leave him alone with them - he would be my special helper for a while :D

Ellisha
16-06-2016, 11:06 AM
It's cause and effect isn't it? He pushes - they fall - they cry - he gets attention albeit negative.

I'd stop him from cuddling them if he can't be gentle - keep him with me and not leave him alone with them - he would be my special helper for a while :D

Now you're saying that about attention it makes sense. He is used to being centre of attention at home, and was my only mindee for a couple of months and then two babies turn up who get lots of attention.