PDA

View Full Version : Daily Diary vs. Childmiders Journal

venus89
08-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Is there a difference between these? If so do does anybody keep both or will just one do?

Spangles
08-08-2008, 06:55 PM
I do a daily diary which goes home each night with the child and I also keep a version of it for myself in my diary so I know what happened that day and where we went, etc. I assume that's what's meant by a childminder's journal?

venus89
08-08-2008, 07:01 PM
I do a daily diary which goes home each night with the child and I also keep a version of it for myself in my diary so I know what happened that day and where we went, etc. I assume that's what's meant by a childminder's journal?

So do I but I wanted to just check - the kids have their own books to take home and I keep a daily diary for my records which has what we did, ate and where we went and also if I am making any observations that day. And then I attach photos sometimes too. Is that enough?

Rubybubbles
08-08-2008, 07:06 PM

this is what I have too. I think it's a good idea so you have something to show oftsed as the daily diary will go with the child once they leave

chez1373
08-08-2008, 08:28 PM
I have no idea what the correct answer is
I do a childrens diary and a minders diary i think i will make it all formal for sept there is loads to be thinkin about i need to go on a cse lol

Pipsqueak
08-08-2008, 10:22 PM
children have a daily diary that goes home each day and I have a learning journal as well - this is where I put the more formal suff - obs/links to EYFS/next steps, this stays here and parent can comment upon at any time.

I also do a brief minding journal that is jokingly called Captains Log that is a brief overview of the day - food, visits, what parent has said, probs, and I jot down some "quick planning" to expand upon at some point.

We all do it differently - mind sounds longwinded and complicated but it works for me and takes me no more than 15/20 mins in a day for the whole lot

Pudding Girl
09-08-2008, 07:09 AM
I only do childrens diaries at mo, had never thought of doing a log for myself until I was filling in my SA E form, so I'll be implementing that after I come back from hols.

Mollymop
09-08-2008, 07:12 AM
I have a learning journal as well - this is where I put the more formal suff - obs/links to EYFS/next steps, this stays here and parent can comment upon at any time.

I like this Pip, So I am going to steal your idea, if that's ok:D :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
09-08-2008, 07:23 AM
Steal away:D

Mine is only an A5 spiral bound book
I put pictures in and underneath I have:
description (brief), links to EYFS, next steps
I add in any notes sign and date

I also stick in my mini-obs - the wow moments - I had a box of sticky address labels around the house and these go in.

For larger scale obs (your monthly) its normally on a bigger sheet, and any artwork that I get to keep - a note gets put in the journal and x-ref to the childs folder.

What I am going to start doing is using the statements of development (cut them out!!) and sticking them into the Journal (apparently this is what Ofsted will eventually be looking for) so it links for directly.

But again - this is what works for me and may not be how so one else works

Wiggly
09-08-2008, 01:50 PM
I have child diary daily sheets. They have meals, nappy changes, sleeps, bottle feeds, tick boxes for things needed from parent (nappies etc), general comments, mood, achievements/milestones, toileting, child comments, childminders comments, parents comments.

I complete the sheet throughout the day. Send it home in the child's bag. NExt day it comes back with parents comments and signed and I file it.

Wiggly
x