PDA

View Full Version : Which chairs?

mumofone
03-06-2016, 07:53 AM
For young baggies say under 18 months I put them in high chairs to do any playdough/painting/messy play/drawing type activities.
However when they get older than this, I'm thinking currently I've got a 2 year old j still pop in a Highchair to do these activities whereas my son prefers to roam around more freely, will happily sit in a dining chair seat with no restraint or booster etc, what's right or wrong or is it whatever suits the child and me from what o consider a safety aspect. I don't keep kids strapped in chairs all day long obviously but wondered if there's right or wrong way?

chris goodyear
03-06-2016, 08:29 AM
I have 2 year olds who sit in a toddler seat on my dining chair - sounds very unsafe but they're made for the job and are fully strapped to my chair! to have meals but if it's for an activity they just sit on my chair. As you say though it also depends on the child and my highchairs are used for babies up to the age of 2 as a rule.

FloraDora
03-06-2016, 09:08 AM
I have lionheart booster seats - really solid and safe - as soon as they can sit and reach the table comfortably they sit on these - until they leave at 4.5. When I had a 6 year old after school he loved sitting at the table in them too.
My dining room chairs are quite low for the children to sit at the table on their own. I think it's about size and comfort not age - some liked to be strapped in, others don't.
They can reach easier if the don't have the lap strap on so if we are collaging then I suggest no straps to the older ones.
I find the under 2.5's focus for a bit longer if strapped on a lap strap on a booster seat - if they are on the low table they tend to wander more.
I have a foldaway camping table that adjusts to different heights which is great for LO's to stand against and for painting, standing at a table or at an easel is much better as they can do big arm movements. Play dough too, so that they can lean and put pressure on.

We take the booster seats into the garden sometimes for low seating.

mumofone
03-06-2016, 09:28 AM
I have lionheart booster seats - really solid and safe - as soon as they can sit and reach the table comfortably they sit on these - until they leave at 4.5. When I had a 6 year old after school he loved sitting at the table in them too. My dining room chairs are quite low for the children to sit at the table on their own. I think it's about size and comfort not age - some liked to be strapped in, others don't. They can reach easier if the don't have the lap strap on so if we are collaging then I suggest no straps to the older ones. I find the under 2.5's focus for a bit longer if strapped on a lap strap on a booster seat - if they are on the low table they tend to wander more. I have a foldaway camping table that adjusts to different heights which is great for LO's to stand against and for painting, standing at a table or at an easel is much better as they can do big arm movements. Play dough too, so that they can lean and put pressure on. We take the booster seats into the garden sometimes for low seating.

Your lion heart ones flora, are they the soft foam ones with no strap?

FloraDora
03-06-2016, 12:27 PM
Your lion heart ones flora, are they the soft foam ones with no strap?

Yes, soft and cushioned but mine have straps which is why as soon as they are safe sitting up from 12 months they can use them. Manufacturer are saying 12months - 4 years.
The straps can be tucked away for older children.
I find they will sit for longer if the booster is comfortable, I did have a mothercare plastic one but the preference was always the lionheart ones so that has been relegated to garden use now and another soft one purchased.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prince-Lionheart-boosterPOD-Chocolate-Gumball/dp/B00J8QL25E/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1464956448&sr=8-2&keywords=lionheart+booster+seat