PDA

View Full Version : How long do you wait??

Polly2
08-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Bit of a quandry

Had some parents come and see me a week last Wednesday regarding a full time place. They went away with my parent pack and said they would be in touch.

Since then I have had other parents ring up wanting the place. I have arranged an interview but explained that I have offered the place to the first parents.

I have rung them last night and all day today but no answer. What would you do?? If the new parents want the place should I give it to them??

Or should I give the first parents more time??

mrsb
08-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Did the first parents have an answer machine? If so I would ring back again and apologise for bothering them etc but explain that you have some parents coming and could they contact you asap regarding the place you are holding for them and give them a date that you can hold it until.

Then when the next parents come say that you are holding the place for the 1st parents until the date then the place is theirs if the 1st lot don't get back to you

gawd i hope that makes sense, i've had a glass of wine:blush: :laughing:

LisaH
08-08-2008, 06:51 PM
Thats exactly what I was going to suggest lol. I've been drinking too and it made sense to me!!:clapping:

liz252
08-08-2008, 06:51 PM
Yes I agree, dont wait too long - i've had parents go away & never come back again! Leave a message if you can, but certainly have other interviews until someone expressly says that they want to use your childminding service. Then, get it in writing with a deposit in case they change their mind or you'll rue letting other potential clients go!

Hope that makes sense too, have had a breezer! :)

Liz x

Chatterbox Childcare
08-08-2008, 07:12 PM
You have tried to contact the 1st parents and they should come back to you soon.

However, it is known that parents never come back to us and if you delay in seeing the next couple you may lose out. Why not see them and see how you go?

Debbie

buildingblocks
08-08-2008, 09:06 PM
I agree with all that has been said. But as another thought I suppose they could be on holiday and may get back to you on their return. Thinking about George's parent who has finally got back to her at long last just expecting hte space to be there.

The main thing to remember though is how much you need to fill the space if its not urgent you can afford to wait but bear in mind as others have already said you may never hear from them

Polly2
11-08-2008, 08:14 AM
Thanks for your thoughts

I decided to offer the space to the 2nd parents as I got on so well with them - had really good vibes and they wanted to sign contracts on the spot!

Also the hours better for me. The first parents didn't have answering machine but I did ring them a number of times, just to be fair.

It's nice to be wanted!!

Thanks all xx

Pudding Girl
11-08-2008, 08:29 AM
I think you handled that well, you did try to contact the first parents and couldn't, and the new ones were happy to sign asap, so you did what was right for your business. Congrats :D

butterfly
11-08-2008, 09:13 AM
congratulations. i definately think you did the best thing!

devoncm
11-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Congratulations on the 2nd parents, well done you.

angeldelight
11-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Glad you sorted it in the end Holly

I would have done the same

The parents should not have expected you to have waited

It is nice to be wanted - lucky you

Angel xx

Bushpig
11-08-2008, 10:09 AM
You did the right thing! Excellent news re your new parents.

Childcare spaces are not there for long often and parents do have to decide quickly... sitting on your laurels can end up with vacancies being filled! Just the way it is I am afraid.

fishbones1
11-08-2008, 10:19 AM
well done.

I would have done it the same way as you. You need to fill your places and they obviously wanted you as they signed straight away, so no need to feel quilty about the other family its their loss.

although it did take my first enquiry a whole week to say no.

Polly2
11-08-2008, 11:10 AM
I'm glad you all think I did right thing!

Never been in that situation before so bit unsure!! baby coming this afternoon for settling in so hope it goes well. :)

thanks x