PDA

View Full Version : Resources to explain pets dying?

BlondeMoment
01-06-2016, 01:35 PM
The hamster has died!!!! :eek:
The questions came this morning asking where she is and I tried to explain to a 4 year old what had happened. Need some help here. I explained how she had gone to sleep and not woken up and that we had buried her in the garden. LO seems to think the hamster is just living outside now. I guess time will teach her but I was wondering if any of you know any good resources, in particular tv episodes like a Peppa Pig or something that deals with a pet dying that I can download? Ordering a book would take too long and the questions will be coming in thick and fast all week. Trued Youtube but not much good tbh.

mama2three
01-06-2016, 03:53 PM
all dogs go to heaven is a lovely film that might help?

Lal
01-06-2016, 04:22 PM
I think there's an episode of Topsy and Tim where a pet dies. I haven't seen it so can't say if its any good.

When my grandad died we explained to my DD (aged 4 at the time) that his body was too old to keep working (deliberately avoiding linking illness and going to hospital with dying), but his spirit (which we explained as the bit of great-grandad that made him cheeky and have twinkly eyes) went to be a star.

Maza
01-06-2016, 04:44 PM
Sorry about your hamster.

I would maybe drop the parents a line, because you don't necessarily know what their beliefs on death/heaven etc are.

Goodbye Mog - my mindees parents got him that when his cat died. x

sarah707
01-06-2016, 07:03 PM
We lost 2 hamsters - sad times :( xx

I have written this blog which might be helpful x Sarah's Blog: Let's talk about death... (http://knutsfordchildminding.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/lets-talk-about-death.html)

Mrs Scrubbit
01-06-2016, 09:43 PM
I certainly would NOT link dying with ' going to sleep and not waking up' as this could scare and maybe lead to sleeping problems. Just be honest and say he was old and his body was worn out and this made his heart stop beating. x

Maza
01-06-2016, 09:52 PM
I certainly would NOT link dying with ' going to sleep and not waking up' as this could scare and maybe lead to sleeping problems. Just be honest and say he was old and his body was worn out and this made his heart stop beating. x

Good point!

clareelizabeth1
02-06-2016, 05:31 PM
Badgers parting gift is what helped my ds understand the death of my granny.