PDA

View Full Version : Tapestry

lor
21-05-2016, 06:04 PM
Hi There,
Have recently had my inspection and thankfully maintained my good - thanks to all the advice I have received from you guys!!

But now it's over I think it would be a good time to change things (so I am used to changes before the next one!)
So I have just bought a years subscription for Tapestry online journal - I did have a 2 week trial but didn't have the time to look at it properly- so jumped in at the deep end and made purchase (stupidly)
and have just spent most of today trying to figure it out!
I have emailed the company and they have answered my questions (sort of) but I wondered if any of you use tapestry and could answer my questions, here goes!!

How does it show progression- I currently go through D.M every 3 months highlighting (I know we're not supposed to but can't see how else to do it)
Do you still have written planning for children -individual and group
How helpful and in what way do you use it - sorry bit vague

Thanks in advance x x

alex__17
21-05-2016, 07:44 PM
I also use tapestry and did similar, didn't have time to try it properly in the free 2 weeks but bought it anyway and now I love it!
However I don't really use their check box bit that tracks progress as I don't tend to link to specific statements, rather to the area of learning, and I just add that to the bottom of my observation.
I still every 6 months use a progress tracker (Surrey county council provide a printable one I use) and write a short paragraph summary on each area of learning to summarise where they are. I then choose a next step for each area based on where they are, to try and progress them in that area.
So I really probably don't use tapestry to its full potential but I find the time it saves me in adding photos and obs to a learning journey is well worth it's cost. I have been using it since last November and find it so easy to keep up to date with obs, whereas before I'd be a couple of months behind and need to spend a weekend on comp getting up to date.

natlou82
22-05-2016, 08:14 AM
Just have a good play with all of the options. I've had it about 3 months now. You can do summative assessments on it, you can pick different options half term, baseline, etc. I think it comes under snapshots. It also gives you next step ideas and next obs (where it tells you areas where you've not done obs for each child). I love it, so simple to use and keep up to date.

natlou82
22-05-2016, 08:16 AM
Btw I use the things mentioned to assist with my planning. You can print them out of you want which I find helpful. I don't do any formal planning as such - just make notes, the rest is in my head.

Paramagngly
13-05-2017, 10:50 AM
Hi
What is tapestry....is it used instead of written observations of a child? If I want to take photos of a child doing activities at my premise to keep records and show parents what do I need to do..?