PDA

View Full Version : Lodger?

alex__17
18-05-2016, 07:27 PM
We have a spare room and it would help massively with finances to have a lodger, but am I right in thinking they would need a dbs before moving in?? And I'm assuming I'd need ofsted approval in advance etc?
The childminder I used to use had a lodger and I never thought twice about it, but I'm guessing it may not actually be practical now I'm up and running as unless it's a friend/family member that doesn't mind waiting weeks for a dbs it would work...
Any advice welcome, I'm assuming it's a non starter really but just an idea

sarah707
19-05-2016, 06:46 AM
Hmmm... setting it up would be a safeguarding nightmare waiting to happen wouldn't it?!

You would need to inform Ofsted - do a risk assessment - make sure they didn't come into unsupervised contact with childminded children until you have the suitability letter - do a DBS and the DBS update service - EY2 form on the Govt gateway - get the suitability letter ...

I don't think it would be a 'no' but it would be a 'be very careful' scenario ...

Hth :D

alex__17
19-05-2016, 01:31 PM
Thank you, that was what I was thinking! I think the only way it would ever work was if it were for example my sister, but I'm fairly sure she won't want to move in!
Never mind, it was an idea I can now forget about!
Thank you for your help

FloraDora
21-05-2016, 06:03 AM
On the subject of increasing income: I was invited to a family christening and ended up entertaining the children, it started with playing with the gift I had given the older sister and the children just then migrated towards us. Following this I was approached by someone who was there asking if I ever run a crèche type activity for weddings and christenings?

I don't, but have since been asked a couple of more times.
I expect there are a lot of hidden issues - insurance, venue issues etc.... But it does seem a good idea for someone qualified wanting to earn extra cash.

One of the people who asked me said that she had seen a business stand at a wedding faire she had been to but the person, a husband and wife team didn't travel as far as their venue. They set up a room / corner of a room in the venue with toys, craft activities, Gaming consoles for older children. Had a set time they stayed, but it covered an afternoon. Played games with them outside if it was warm weather and facilities were available. They were charging £500 with increasing costs depending on requirements, this person felt it was good value!! I suppose in the big scheme of the costs of weddings this is just another cost, like a band, cocktail making area, chocolate fountain, ice cream van, mobile sweet shop, fair like stalls, photo dressing up booths.....all of which I have experienced at weddings over the years!

Now I love going to weddings with children there, it adds to a family wedding feel and always gives people something to talk about/ someone to talk to and certainly it's the children that usually encourage the older people to dance. But sometimes parents don't bring enough small things to entertain a child and their behaviour deterioates so I can see a corner entertainment area would be useful to stop tired tantrums.

Just thought it might be something that would interest someone ?

blue bear
22-05-2016, 06:12 PM
I know a childminder who has had several lodgers, yes they need s DBS done but she doesn't find any problems from ofsted