PDA

View Full Version : Next steps help

mumofone
17-05-2016, 10:59 AM
I have a mindee (2 years old) who is doing well, speaks well, moves well etc. Settles quickly, sociable etc. Im struggling to know what next steps to give them though. Any inspiration appreciated! :o

alex__17
17-05-2016, 11:59 AM
I log where they are using development matters and use the last column to guide me with next steps, or if they were trying to master something new or had a new interest in something I'd think of something to try and encourage them eg one was learning to jump so their next step once was to set up obstacle courses in the garden and encourage using different ways of moving so crawling, running jumping, going backwards, sideways, climbing etc.
My next steps are fairly broad and common sense you probably do anyway with the children normally, I do a next step for each area of learning when I do an assessment about every 5-6 months.

moggy
17-05-2016, 12:21 PM
I like to look for practical things too like put on /off own shoes, own coat on/off, drink from open cup reliably, wipe own face clean, wash own hands and manage the soap/towel, learning to do tasks like help take pates to the sink etc, these are good things to set as next steps as they can be worked on at home too so a good way to include parents and home-learning.

FloraDora
17-05-2016, 01:13 PM
Assessing a child as 'speaks well' and ' moves well' is very broad and doesn't tell you exactly what they can do within the learning area or whether they are at expected or accelerated achievement level.

In order to know next steps I assess very specifically using the outcomes. There is a huge amount of development expected in Communication and language and Physical development with very fine points and the outcomes and the old development matters is there to help us to know their detailed progress in learning and skills and where we can accelerate learning.
I would do detailed focussed observations and then assess what the child specifically can achieve, regularly, everyday whilst they play with you and others using the Early Years outcomes.
Once you know exactly where they are developmentally it is easy to see where their next steps will be. The more you use the EY outcomes the more you will naturally, instinctively know them and understand where the next steps need to be.

mumofone
17-05-2016, 02:49 PM
Assessing a child as 'speaks well' and ' moves well' is very broad and doesn't tell you exactly what they can do within the learning area or whether they are at expected or accelerated achievement level. In order to know next steps I assess very specifically using the outcomes. There is a huge amount of development expected in Communication and language and Physical development with very fine points and the outcomes and the old development matters is there to help us to know their detailed progress in learning and skills and where we can accelerate learning. I would do detailed focussed observations and then assess what the child specifically can achieve, regularly, everyday whilst they play with you and others using the Early Years outcomes. Once you know exactly where they are developmentally it is easy to see where their next steps will be. The more you use the EY outcomes the more you will naturally, instinctively know them and understand where the next steps need to be.

Thanks flora, I used those descriptions purely to give an overview to explain my Post rather than go into loads of detail...