PDA

View Full Version : Becoming A childminder

cazacs
10-05-2016, 11:15 AM
Good Morning -

can you give me some advice please :) after becoming a grandparent to our beautiful grand daughter I have become more and more interested in children and there needs in the early years of life. So much so I am now contemplating giving up my career as a contracts manager and taking the necessary courses to become a registered child minder. Am I crazy lol at 48 I still feel fit and young and love the outdoor time I am spending with our little girl and I absolutely love going to her private day care nursery and picking her up. I just want to know is it easy to go into and how long does the full process take - I am thinking of taking all the courses and hopefully passing and being ready to go in 18months - 2 years (or sooner if possible)

Any advise on the new path I'm looking to take !

Thanks
Caroline

FussyElmo
10-05-2016, 11:38 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

This thread may be useful to you

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/starting-childminding-pre-registration-visits/117176-registering-childminder-updated-06-2014-a.html

k1rstie
10-05-2016, 01:25 PM
You will probably be able to fit in all the training around your current job. From what I hear locally, the time from start to finish can take anywhere from 9 to 12 months. It can also cost you many hundreds of pounds.

cazacs
10-05-2016, 02:16 PM
some body has posted To become a child minder you would have to do a local authority approved course ??, regardless of any previous qualifications.....

I am looking at open study college - Cache level 1 award in caring for children - would this be accepted or do I have to undertake A L.A course ????

moggy
15-05-2016, 08:49 PM
some body has posted To become a child minder you would have to do a local authority approved course ??, regardless of any previous qualifications.....

I am looking at open study college - Cache level 1 award in caring for children - would this be accepted or do I have to undertake A L.A course ????

You need to check that that course is accepted by your local authority. The local authority may not run a course themselves but will tell you which ones are acceptable. They should also run a free briefing meeting or have a powerpoint or something to talk you through the registering proceedure including local course requirements- check with your local authority.