PDA

View Full Version : What could have happened?

BlondeMoment
06-05-2016, 02:34 AM
Hi there,
I'm just wondering if any of you know any reason a childminder would be suspended by Ofsted for 'a minimum of 6 weeks?
A mum has come to me because this has happened and she needs temporary cover. She's not allowed to know any details as it's all confidential but naturally she is really worried. Would it have to be really bad to be suspended or are there other reasons this could happen?

mama2three
06-05-2016, 05:47 AM
''would it have to be really bad to be suspended?'' - this usually relates to a safeguarding concern which needs investigating. The complaint / report would have to be fairly bad I would think - however we all know that there are so many malicious complaints and the childminder may have done nothing wrong at all. Thats what the investigation is for.

Its absolutely devastating to be put into that position , your reputation may never recover as the 'no smoke without fire' brigade will never be silenced regardless of the outcome. Parents who have found alternative care may well prefer to stay with their new carers .

On the other hand the children need to be safe..and Ofsted have a duty of care to investigate , which may be a lengthy process. An awful situation for everyone.

FussyElmo
06-05-2016, 05:47 AM
Hi there,
I'm just wondering if any of you know any reason a childminder would be suspended by Ofsted for 'a minimum of 6 weeks?
A mum has come to me because this has happened and she needs temporary cover. She's not allowed to know any details as it's all confidential but naturally she is really worried. Would it have to be really bad to be suspended or are there other reasons this could happen?

It's usually a safeguarding matter

k1rstie
06-05-2016, 05:55 AM
Ofsted will suspend then ask questions later - no matter how long they take.

Would your available space be available for longer than the 6 weeks, often these things can take longer, or the parent may wish to remain with you.

Don't forget we often hear of malicious complaints, or childminders suspended due to injuries on children done by parents but blamed on childminders, so remember to remain confidential, and if it is a childminder you know, they are likely to be going through hell and back.

Simona
06-05-2016, 08:01 AM
Safeguarding is one issue for immediate suspension...but there maybe others instances as well.

Unfortunately the details cannot be divulged while Ofsted carry out their investigations so the cm ...or provider suspended... will soon have lots of speculative questions asked as parents seek cover elsewhere and tell another provider what has happened.

It is not a pleasant experience and unfortunately the unknown is worse as the grapevine will spread the news very fast indeed.

Mouse
06-05-2016, 08:15 AM
I had a child come to me when their cm was told she was being suspended for 6 weeks. It was a safeguarding issue, but nothing directly involving the children.

I would add, the suspension only lasted for 4 weeks as it was all sorted quicker than expected. The minded child stayed with me but others did go back.

teacake2
06-05-2016, 12:52 PM
A nursery near me which is run by two people who still operate as Childminders as well, the nursery is only open part time and then they work as childminders the rest of the time, I would have called it a pre-school but it is registered as a nursery, sorry got off topic slightly, this was closed supposedly for 6 weeks for a safeguarding issue and is still closed 9 weeks later. Speculation is rife of course as to what it is and as it is taking so long it seems to be possible quite a serious case, perhaps we will never know.
Teacake2

BlondeMoment
11-05-2016, 01:45 PM
Horrible isn't it. Every childminders worst nightmare. I don't know this lady but I feel awful for her.
I've told mum not to jump to any conclusions as there are horrible people out there who will do or say anything to get away with payments issues or their own mistakes.

rickysmiths
11-05-2016, 02:20 PM
Horrible isn't it. Every childminders worst nightmare. I don't know this lady but I feel awful for her.
I've told mum not to jump to any conclusions as there are horrible people out there who will do or say anything to get away with payments issues or their own mistakes.

I have known 3 cms who have had this happen. One ended up closed for 4 days and the other was the 6 weeks in both cases nothing was found against them, it was malicious allegations. A third was suspended and her own children were separated, it took 9 months to be sorted out and at the end the cm was proved blameless but they have lost their business and ill never go back to it.