PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

keohane1
03-05-2016, 04:17 PM
I gave up childminding 8 months ago. I kept my registration but cancelled my public liability insurance as I don't plan to have any kids on my books but I may in the future go back to it hence keeping my registration.
Just had a call from ofsted, they want to inspect me even thoug I have no kids on my books and she has told me that I need to get public liability insurance before she comes which is a week today.
I told her I have no resources, she just wants to see my paperwork which will take approx 2 hrs?

I really wasn't expecting this and don't know what to do. I don't want to be paying money out for something i'me not using but if I give up my registration then ime stuffed if I ever go back to childminding or nannying.

mama2three
03-05-2016, 04:38 PM
Im afraid that you have no choice - to keep your registration open you need valid insurance. If you want to have the safety net of returning to childminding without the whole reregistration process and associated costs then there are some things that you still need to pay out. You also need to have kept up to date with legislation , safeguarding procedures etc....

keohane1
03-05-2016, 04:51 PM
Im afraid that you have no choice - to keep your registration open you need valid insurance. If you want to have the safety net of returning to childminding without the whole reregistration process and associated costs then there are some things that you still need to pay out. You also need to have kept up to date with legislation , safeguarding procedures etc....

If I ever go back to childminding it would probably be afterschool care so can I change my registration so ime only on the afterschool part of the registration and not the early years x

moggy
03-05-2016, 08:23 PM
If I ever go back to childminding it would probably be afterschool care so can I change my registration so ime only on the afterschool part of the registration and not the early years x

Remember the Ofsted fees for not being on the EY Register are much higher- see and scroll down to 'fees':
https://www.gov.uk/register-childminder-childcare-provider/how-to-apply

Simona
04-05-2016, 07:47 AM
I gave up childminding 8 months ago. I kept my registration but cancelled my public liability insurance as I don't plan to have any kids on my books but I may in the future go back to it hence keeping my registration.
Just had a call from ofsted, they want to inspect me even thoug I have no kids on my books and she has told me that I need to get public liability insurance before she comes which is a week today.
I told her I have no resources, she just wants to see my paperwork which will take approx 2 hrs?

I really wasn't expecting this and don't know what to do. I don't want to be paying money out for something i'me not using but if I give up my registration then ime stuffed if I ever go back to childminding or nannying.

You can keep your registration while not childminding but that includes keeping your insurance as well....please check this out but I am sure many cms will confirm that and I can vouch for that myself.
You also need to keep a valid First Aid certificate in order to remain registered
Your inspection will be with no children on roll.

it is true that the fee for the voluntary register is higher (it is over £100 co0mpared to the EY at £35 for cms)...however...please bear in mind that the DfE is due to review all Ofsted registration fees

We do not know as yet how much it will be but it is bound to go up

Good luck with your inspection!

rickysmiths
04-05-2016, 11:09 AM

I think you also have to maintain your payments to the Information Commissioner's Office if you have any cm records or accounts etc on your computer and Ofsted will ask to see proof of this as although it is not directly an Ofsted requirement it is a Legal Requirement.