PDA

View Full Version : Best value play sand

mumofone
01-05-2016, 06:11 PM
Hi all, can anyone tell me of any good value play sand they've bought or know of? I think I got my last bag in argos but it wasn't cheap and didn't last long! The kids get through it so quickly so I'm after a nice big bag for not much cash!! :-)

Maza
01-05-2016, 06:30 PM
Can't remember what the brand was but I got my last lot from amazon so that I didn't have to lug it back from the shop. I might get some coloured sand next though if I can find a good deal.

loocyloo
01-05-2016, 06:56 PM
:-) got mine from Amazon too!

And also a few bags from argos on a deal!

mumofone
01-05-2016, 07:16 PM
Thanks guys, dyou know what size (kg) the bag was?

loocyloo
01-05-2016, 07:42 PM
Lol! Sorry, no idea, but probably 10/20kg!

mumofone
02-05-2016, 07:41 AM
Great thankyou - Amazon it is! :-)

Bluebell
02-05-2016, 11:52 AM
I usually get mine when on offer at tesco - although one of my colleagues always says builders sand from the builders merchant is cheapest. - Although its grey and I wonder how soft it would be?

Simona
03-05-2016, 07:06 AM
I usually get mine when on offer at tesco - although one of my colleagues always says builders sand from the builders merchant is cheapest. - Although its grey and I wonder how soft it would be?

It makes me wonder if even children's play sand has been 'doctored' to be smooth and acceptable for Health and Safety ? :angry:
what about natural sand found on our beaches?...or just good old plain soil found in our gardens?

Play sand is certainly one resource to research...so many outlets sell it and at so many different prices...many also deliver for free!

mumofone
03-05-2016, 08:04 PM
I went with 20kg from amazon for £10 in the end incase anyone's interested!! :-) Thanks everyone x

clareelizabeth1
04-05-2016, 01:51 AM
It makes me wonder if even children's play sand has been 'doctored' to be smooth and acceptable for Health and Safety ? :angry: what about natural sand found on our beaches?...or just good old plain soil found in our gardens? Play sand is certainly one resource to research...so many outlets sell it and at so many different prices...many also deliver for free!

It has been doctored. It has been cleaned n the grains rounded so there is less chance of eye ball being scratched severely if it goes in eyes although once its opened it doesn't matter but I believe its also been sterilised.

natlou82
04-05-2016, 05:40 AM
Thanks for this thread mumofone I've just ordered the same :-)

loocyloo
04-05-2016, 06:38 AM
I periodically sterilise my sand by pouring made up sterilising solution over it, and letting it dry!

mama2three
04-05-2016, 07:02 AM
I do too loocyloo. I cant replace my sand as I have a huge sand area ....but often pour a few watering cans full of miltons fluid through it.

Simona
04-05-2016, 07:34 AM
Uh Uh!! ;) why waste money on Milton when you could actually boil the sand with free water from your tap to sterilise it! :rolleyes:

Is Amazon's sand the best bargain?...there are cheaper good quality brands out there from outlets who also pay tax!! :)

mumofone
04-05-2016, 07:36 AM
Uh Uh!! ;) why waste money on Milton when you could actually boil the sand with free water from your tap to sterilise it! :rolleyes: Is Amazon's sand the best bargain?...there are cheaper good quality brands out there from outlets who also pay tax!! :)

If you know of a better offer out there I'm sure we'd all love to hear! :-)

Simona
04-05-2016, 07:40 AM
If you know of a better offer out there I'm sure we'd all love to hear! :-)

I am looking at various sites...I maybe some time as googling can take a little effort and patience in research !

my favourite play sand brand seems to have gone!

mama2three
04-05-2016, 10:44 AM
Because the boiling water kills the plants in my sand / natural area whereas miltons doesnt.