PDA

View Full Version : Toilet!

mumofone
28-04-2016, 11:36 AM
I have a nearly 5 yr old mindee who leaves my toilet in a right mess! Doesn't flash, hates washing their hands, leaves paper everywhere, wee's all around the toilet on the floor. Ive told them they must slow down (they rush to the loo and out again) and keep it clean. They're clearly not listening, any tips?!

mumofone
28-04-2016, 11:37 AM
I have a nearly 5 yr old mindee who leaves my toilet in a right mess! Doesn't flash, hates washing their hands, leaves paper everywhere, wee's all around the toilet on the floor. Ive told them they must slow down (they rush to the loo and out again) and keep it clean. They're clearly not listening, any tips?!

Flush not flash!

Jessymax
28-04-2016, 11:55 AM
simple, go with them and talk/show them what to do step my step. Could be that they get left at home also there parents might not even tell them to wash there hands or expect it - grim but not unrealistic

bunyip
28-04-2016, 07:04 PM

You've never been in a gents' toilet, have you? ;)

sarah707
28-04-2016, 07:13 PM
Supervise! That's what we've had to do in the past x

chris goodyear
28-04-2016, 09:33 PM
Agree with previous posts, supervise. I couldn't understand why my toilet roll and hand soap was disappearing so quickly until I worked out it was always when a certain 3 year old attended. So I now stand outside but with the door open and show her how much paper and soap to use. Then yesterday I didn't realise the 4 year old was still in the loo and as I opened the door he had about a metre or more of paper in his hand and was screwing it up ready to use till I stopped him and gave him the right amount - and he had only done a wee!

FloraDora
29-04-2016, 08:37 AM
It is the one place I put temporary pictures up in my house.
Every so often I have a focus and we take photos together of what you should do - only the two sheets of toilet paper at a time ( for as many times as it takes) or call for me type photos - nothing personal. Then the routine of washing hands ...as they sit on the toilet and reach for paper they see the photo as a reminder. As they wash their hands they look at the photos.
I did have one day last year when one child seemed to use up loads of toilet paper - all the reel that had been undone she and I ripped off suitable size and made a pile which I put on a little plant pot tall stand where it could be reached and she knew that was her toilet paper, that she couldn't waste it now she had unraveled it.....once she had got to the end of the pile she never unraveled more than necessary again.

Supervision is the key though, mine love to be independent and so like to show me they can do it all on their own so that I won't go with them. We have door stoppers to stop the doors closing on fingers so our toilet door is never fully closed when the children use it.

mumofone
01-05-2016, 06:13 PM
Thanks everyone, glad to hear it's not an uncommon problem! I thought I had a particular problem mindee but it now sounds normal. I will up my supervision and see how it goes! :-)