PDA

View Full Version : new shoes!

loocyloo
28-04-2016, 07:30 AM
Arghhhhhh ! ! !

Why oh why has the seemingly sensible mum of a very competent almost 3yr old just bought him lace up boots?!!!

He can manage Velcro shoes ON HIS OWN!
Hey Ho. He brings wellies and will be living in those at my house as I will not be dealing with tying long laces!
Lol ... I've just written my newsletter with a quote about the best thing we can do for our children is encourage their independence! Better send it quick!

Mouse
28-04-2016, 09:48 AM
I feel your pain! This week I've found out what is even worse than a toddler in lace up boots...

Build-a-Bear shoes!!!

One mindee has been bringing his teddy this week, complete with its lace up shoes. They are impossible to put on, then when you eventually manage it, the just fall straight off again. By lunchtime on the first day I was so fed up of being asked to put them back on that I said we'd forgotten our house rule of no shoes indoors, so teddy's shoes had to stay in the hall with everyone else's!!

loocyloo
28-04-2016, 11:55 AM
I feel your pain! This week I've found out what is even worse than a toddler in lace up boots...

Build-a-Bear shoes!!!

One mindee has been bringing his teddy this week, complete with its lace up shoes. They are impossible to put on, then when you eventually manage it, the just fall straight off again. By lunchtime on the first day I was so fed up of being asked to put them back on that I said we'd forgotten our house rule of no shoes indoors, so teddy's shoes had to stay in the hall with everyone else's!!

:-) lol ... That made me laugh out loud!

We were going outside and mindee said 'can't do new shoes. wear boots'!!!

halor
28-04-2016, 09:41 PM
I have a little one who sometimes comes in lace ups, lace up converse boots are the worst, and a certain bad word goes through my head when she gets dropped off. This same child also has 'fashion shoes' rather than fitted shoes so when they aren't lace up they just drop off all the time! Or there's the ugg type boots that never fit properly, don't support her feet or are a plain nightmare getting on :-/

hulahoops
28-04-2016, 10:11 PM
What do you think is the right age for laces? My son is 8 and size 4 shoes so now we are struggling to find velcro trainers. We're working hard on tying laces but it's so hard and I end up doing them for him!

loocyloo
29-04-2016, 06:29 AM
:-) I remember having lace up shoes when I started primary school (so 7) and being very proud of them! but my own children didn't have laces till they were 9/10.
DS learnt to do laces on his football boots, and DD when she wanted converse boots!
It's just practice for laces!

If you can only get lace up shoes, a sneaky trick is to lace them with strong elastic ... looks like laces but they can be slipped on and off! DD has her tap shoes laced with elastic as then no chance of the laces coming untied and tripping her up!

FloraDora
29-04-2016, 08:26 AM
I know this is a cheats way out but I always show children who normally struggle with the round the tree and through the hole method of tying laces to just form two loops and tie them together . My own mother was horrified when my youngest did this, but it does the job, you can't tell unless you look closely and eventually the ' proper' method will evolve....or not ... as stuffing laces down the side of trainers still seems a popular thing.
On his graduation day, with his new 'first time he'd worn proper shoes since he was 18' shiny interview brogues on, I noticed they were tied like this. There he was getting a 2:1 science degree and he chose to tie his shoe laces in the method he used when 7. Does it really matter?

FussyElmo
29-04-2016, 08:30 AM
I know this is a cheats way out but I always show children who normally struggle with the round the tree and through the hole method of tying laces to just form two loops and tie them together . My own mother was horrified when my youngest did this, but it does the job, you can't tell unless you look closely and eventually the ' proper' method will evolve....or not ... as stuffing laces down the side of trainers still seems a popular thing.
On his graduation day, with his new 'first time he'd worn proper shoes since he was 18' shiny interview brogues on, I noticed they were tied like this. There he was getting a 2:1 science degree and he chose to tie his shoe laces in the method he used when 7. Does it really matter?

The bunny ears method how I learnt both of my youngest to tie laces

Mouse
29-04-2016, 08:40 AM
I've always used the bunny ears method for tying hair bows and bows on presents etc. It makes a much neater bow :thumbsup:

kellib
29-04-2016, 08:49 AM
I know this is a cheats way out but I always show children who normally struggle with the round the tree and through the hole method of tying laces to just form two loops and tie them together . My own mother was horrified when my youngest did this, but it does the job, you can't tell unless you look closely and eventually the ' proper' method will evolve....or not ... as stuffing laces down the side of trainers still seems a popular thing. On his graduation day, with his new 'first time he'd worn proper shoes since he was 18' shiny interview brogues on, I noticed they were tied like this. There he was getting a 2:1 science degree and he chose to tie his shoe laces in the method he used when 7. Does it really matter?

That's how I tie laces and I'm 30! I could never get my head around the 'normal' way

BallyH
29-04-2016, 08:49 AM
What do you think is the right age for laces? My son is 8 and size 4 shoes so now we are struggling to find velcro trainers. We're working hard on tying laces but it's so hard and I end up doing them for him!

My son is 12, size 7, he can do laces as he plays football and has lace up football boots and trainers but his school shoes are Velcro from Clark's and they are a god send. He seems to put his school shoes on at just the exact moment a parent knocks the back door so it is a quick scramble as he tries to squeeze out the door as a parent is squeezing in. Laces would take too long.

I sent an email out about 5 months go to all parents requesting Velcro shoes and no lace ups, plus a long list of other requests to help support their child's independence like mittens please, hats that fit their head not a dollies head, coats that zips actually work, coats with hoods that when on their head they go beyond their ears so that their fringe and face are kept dry, oh and don't fall down when the slightest puff of wind appears. Etc etc the list could go on and on.