PDA

View Full Version : Outstanding nursery downgraded over lack of ethnic diversity

mumofone
27-04-2016, 09:06 PM
You guys seen this...?

Lincolnshire nursery is downgraded by Ofsted for failing to teach ethnic diversity | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3561380/Nursery-downgraded-Ofsted-failing-teach-ethnic-diversity.html)

amirose
28-04-2016, 06:29 AM
I disagree with the argument that "how can the school be classed as not ethically diverse when there is no call for it?". One of the areas of development is understanding the WORLD not just the town we live in. They talk a lot about the population of the town brig 97% white. This to me comes across like they have put themselves into a small bubble, when the world is a much greater place. If anything, in my opinion, it makes it even more important to teach children about different cultures.
That being said the criteria for an outstanding grade is difficult to achieve and I do fell ofsted pick a few 'buzz' issues and focus on them too greatly. My friend had an inspection yesterday and was given a recommendation for not having enough resources to promote ethnicity and diversity. She offered the inspector several different things in her setting, dressing up clothes of different cultures and resources such as glasses (with lenses popped out), cooking utensils and different play food, figures and dolls of different cultures, colouring crayons in different colours, visits to the local special needs soft play centre - each time she was told "it's not enough". My friend told me she wanted to scream "so what is you want to see then?!" And I told her she should of done! (Well minus the screaming obviously)!

moggy
28-04-2016, 07:05 AM
I never put much faith in such reports. Anyway, looking at that nursery's Ofsted report online, only one published, must have been their last one- from 2011, it was all grade 2s and 3s, no outstanding grades at all. So I wonder why they call it an 'outstanding' nursery downgraded...? Makes a better headline, though, doesn't it?

Apparently, report said 'Staff do not provide enough opportunities for children to develop a strong sense of belonging at the nursery and to learn about people who are different to themselves.' Report makes out they are being downgrades for being a mostly 'white' cohort and community, that is not what that statement says. They can still learn all about the children from all kinds of places and ethnicities even in a almost all white community.

I am not defending Ofsted, I have not read this latest Ofsted report, but as usual, it may not be all it seems.

Ofsted | Town & Country Kiddies Limited (http://reports.ofsted.gov.uk/inspection-reports/find-inspection-report/provider/CARE/EY408357)

chris goodyear
28-04-2016, 07:12 AM
Yes why not scream!!! whatever we do is not enough so just be grateful when you get a human inspector!

Mouse
28-04-2016, 09:33 AM
I never put much faith in such reports. Anyway, looking at that nursery's Ofsted report online, only one published, must have been their last one- from 2011, it was all grade 2s and 3s, no outstanding grades at all. So I wonder why they call it an 'outstanding' nursery downgraded...? Makes a better headline, though, doesn't it?

Apparently, report said 'Staff do not provide enough opportunities for children to develop a strong sense of belonging at the nursery and to learn about people who are different to themselves.' Report makes out they are being downgrades for being a mostly 'white' cohort and community, that is not what that statement says. They can still learn all about the children from all kinds of places and ethnicities even in a almost all white community.

I am not defending Ofsted, I have not read this latest Ofsted report, but as usual, it may not be all it seems.

Ofsted | Town & Country Kiddies Limited (http://reports.ofsted.gov.uk/inspection-reports/find-inspection-report/provider/CARE/EY408357)

I don't think that's the right report.

By the looks of it There are 3 nurseries and an afterschool club.

Ofsted | Search results: Inspection Reports (http://reports.ofsted.gov.uk/inspection-reports/find-inspection-report/results/any/any/any/any/any/Town%20and%20countries%20kiddies/any/any/any/any/0/0#search1)

I guess it's more likely to be this one

http://reports.ofsted.gov.uk/index.php?q=filedownloading/&id=2046775&type=1&refer=0

Simona
01-05-2016, 06:56 AM
The latest news is that Ofsted have withdrawn the report as it is being looked at again....we can only assume the nursery has launched an appeal.

It is mind blowing that the inspectorate believes that diversity is just a question of putting a few posters on the wall to show children with different coloured faces??...if so it is very worrying....as is the statement put out by the nursery that they live in an area that is not 'diverse'....I despair!
maybe they could open their eyes to the diversity of the world and offer opportunities that way.

Putting posters on the wall or buying black dolls and such like is called 'tokenism'....several articles have been written about that...useful to read.

For many setting a grade means a lot as they have been pushed and brainwashed into believing it is all about getting inspected and getting high grades and doing it all for Ofsted!

Many people put faith in those Ofsted reports...as no one was present during the inspection it is difficult to judge what happened there and then.

I do hope that the nursery staff 'challenged' the inspector during the inspection on the dubious statement that diversity was not promoted because of a lack of photos on a wall...hopefully their resources and practice said otherwise?

I would suggest we all read 'Inclusion, Equality and Diversity in working with children' by Sue Griffin...every setting should have a copy.

bunyip
02-05-2016, 01:02 PM
I expect Daily Mail readers will be utterly horrified at yet another town being "swamped" by a whole 3% of non-whites. :eek:

Just waiting for Farage to roll up there with a busload of his protofacist supporters and bang on about the "undermining of our culture." :(