PDA

View Full Version : Settling a (nearly) 2 year old

mumofone
25-04-2016, 09:52 PM
Ive got a nearly two year old starting and have just started to worry they might not settle. They've been in nursery for a few days a week and been getting on fine apparently. Had a settling in session and they were very clingy to me and every ten mins or so would say "mummy, mummy" but didn't cry. Ive just started to panic though that as they are that bit older than a baby that they may not settle. Anyone with sandy experience of this? Thank you :-)

alex__17
26-04-2016, 05:17 AM
If already at nursery will probably be fine once they get to know you, find out what toys they have and what they like doing and eating and have their favourite things out so they get distracted quickly

moggy
26-04-2016, 07:10 AM
Also, it is normal that even a very happy, settled, 2yo/nearly 2yo, will miss mummy and ask for mummy during the day, even if they have been with you since a baby. They get to the age where they realise mummy is somewhere else and with their increasing language they start to use it to query where mum is or demand to see mummy etc.
I hope this new one settles quickly.

chris goodyear
26-04-2016, 09:30 AM
At that age it could take a couple of weeks if not more, maybe a month? I usually find after two weeks there is an improvement and after a month no problem.

mumofone
26-04-2016, 10:05 AM
Thanks everyone, I'll see how it goes. I just suddenly had a bit of a wobble! :-)

mumofone
02-06-2016, 09:18 AM
So update on this, 2 year old has settled excellently, no tears or upsets all day (they're here for full days three times a week) but on drop off (and pick up) they get very upset. Some mornings Screaming but as soon as they're in they're fine, makes me feel Awful!!

chris goodyear
02-06-2016, 11:30 AM
That's good to hear. I have one the same so luckily both parents know not to hang around (thereby prolonging the upset) and I reassure them that little man stops all the tears within a minute of them leaving - which he does. Have another little one of 2 who has been here a month and last week for the first time he cried when mum left (was fine every other time even the very first day). Mum was upset so I text her more or less straight away to say he was fine and not crying which helped her feel better.

Maza
02-06-2016, 12:08 PM
So update on this, 2 year old has settled excellently, no tears or upsets all day (they're here for full days three times a week) but on drop off (and pick up) they get very upset. Some mornings Screaming but as soon as they're in they're fine, makes me feel Awful!!

Fantastic! Well done you. I love it when people come back and update us.

Perfectly normal for them to still cry at drop off and pick up.

mumofone
02-06-2016, 12:24 PM
Thanks guys, sorry for the reason for posting was also to ask anyone if they knew what the drying on drop off and pick up could be when they're fine the whole time they're here? Also, I feel like parents must think I'm lying because I say they're absolutely fine once they leave and all day!

chris goodyear
02-06-2016, 12:48 PM
Can you take some photos during the day to show the parents at pick up? This will reassure yourself and them that of course you are not lying! It's the same with older children (though not all) when they really misbehave when the parents show up, sometimes it's a 'punishment' for leaving them all day - not that they intentionally do it or even realise - others to see if anyone can/will discipline them as who now is in charge? All perfectly normal behaviour.

mumofone
02-06-2016, 01:01 PM
"Crying" not drying!