PDA

View Full Version : Green butterfly chrysalis?!

alex__17
25-04-2016, 09:51 AM
Our second year doing this, and the chrysalis is always a brown colour, well our last one is a very bright mint green colour!
How strange! The caterpillar maybe had a paler stomach but didn't look that different from the others...wondering if the butterfly will look different!

alex__17
25-04-2016, 09:52 AM
This photo might be better

Mouse
25-04-2016, 11:11 AM
That's exciting! Ours have always been brown. It'll be interesting to see what comes out of it.

FloraDora
25-04-2016, 01:01 PM
I was under the impression that the colour was to do with the environment, camouflage , which is interesting that you have a mix in the same cup environment. Last year the chrysalis was bright green on my cabbage stems but brown in amongst darker bushes. They go clear just before the butterfly pops out and you can usually make out the colour of the underside of the butterfly wings. I am sure all were mainly monarchs, despite their different colour chrysalis stage.
I haven't raised butterfly's for years in the cups so can't remember what colour they were.
For your information if you plant lots of bushes and flowers that attract butterfly's then the life cycle automatically starts ....we have loads in our garden come May/ June. Cheaper than purchasing every year.

The different colours make it more interesting to observe though.

k1rstie
25-04-2016, 01:05 PM
Mine have always been brown. Maybe this one has been eating haribo's !!

natlou82
25-04-2016, 01:10 PM
I had one that was a slightly different colour, he was also smaller. He had a deformed wing when he emerged, so I think something went wrong at some point. I hope this isn't the case for you, it will be exciting if you get a different butterfly.