PDA

View Full Version : Advice please

KatieMarks
08-08-2008, 01:01 PM
My sister-in-law is moving back home after nearly two years away. She will have her 20month old little girl with her and has asked me if i would consider being her carer while she is at Uni. I would love to do this but need a bit of advice as to how to go about this and where i stand as my sister-in-law recieves benefits for being a single mom and being at uni. I have recieved mixed replies regarding this so really need your help so i can get the ball rolling. Thanking you all in advance. Katie X

Pipsqueak
08-08-2008, 01:04 PM
Hi Katie I answered you on your other thread but if you speak to your local childrens information service then they will tell you how to go about registering as a childminder.

Depends if you are going to do this as a nanny or childminder (childs own home or your own).

Again I answered the bit about what you sister can claim but again it depends on her entitlements to begin with. If you are registered care and you have the child on a contract then I would have thought she can claim tax credits or bursary etc (depending on entitlement).
Not sure about nannying though

To become a reg'd minder - CIS will send you out the next pre-reg briefing date for your area where you can find out about minding. From there you will be booked onto an ICP course (introduction to childmining - which is unit 1 of the Diploma) Under EYFS which comes in 1st sept you will have to have competed the ICP and a 12hr first aid course before you can mind.
You will have to have CRB disclosures completed, and a health check and then at some point Ofsted will come out and pre-reg you and your home.
This is a quick and basic overview of the procedure

SimplyLucy
08-08-2008, 01:05 PM
If you become a registered childminder then you can look after your neice legally for payment.

Your sister in law will be able to claim benefits for childcare (think she has to work over 16 hours).

You will however need to have other children on your books too. In other words you can't care soley for your neice. I think I'm right in saying this.

Seeing as your sister in law is going to uni, sometimes they can get grants to cover childcare, again you'd need to be registered.

Pipsqueak
08-08-2008, 01:08 PM
You will however need to have other children on your books too. In other words you can't care soley for your neice. I think I'm right in saying this.

You have to be prepared to take other children onto your books BUT there are ways and means round this;)

KatieMarks
08-08-2008, 01:08 PM
ok thank you. So can i do it without registering as a childminder for example being a nanny to my niece?? She is going to get benefits coz she already recives them where she is now. Its just a case of sorting me out to sort the childcare out XXX

KatieMarks
08-08-2008, 01:09 PM
You have to be prepared to take other children onto your books BUT there are ways and means round this;)

is there?? how?? PM me if you want, thank you X

Pipsqueak
08-08-2008, 01:11 PM
Hi Katie if you check your other thread then I have answered on there!!:)

Yes you could be a nanny and this would have to take place on her premises but for your SIL to claim benefits/grant/bursary you'd have to be a registered carer (check out NCMA Nanny) - I think I am right in saying that.
You could not care for you neice for payment or reward on your premises without being registered (if its for more than 2hrs per day)

Pipsqueak
08-08-2008, 01:13 PM
is there?? how?? PM me if you want, thank you X

all you have to do is be prepared to take on other children - if you don't get any other enquiries (ie through lack of advertising say) or you just choose not to take on any of the enquires/interviews you do because of what reasons. I don't think anywhere does it stipulate that you have to have more than 1 child on your books - just that you have to be prepared to take on other children.
You never know - you might enjoy caring for a couple fo children though:D

I only currently have one part timer on my books and I can't see Offy demanding that I care for another child when there is no interest in the area. A minder I know cares for her granddaughter recently obtained Outstanding in all areas of care - so obviously she wasn't marked down!

KatieMarks
08-08-2008, 01:28 PM
wow, thank you so much you are being very helpful. I cant thank you enough for all the advice you are giving me. Do you know how long it roughly takes to get registered as ideally i need it to be ASAP. I might enjoy looking after more than my niece but to start with will prob just stick with her!
If i get registered, you know when they come out to look at your house?? What do they look for and what are their rules about pets/space??

Pipsqueak
08-08-2008, 01:31 PM
Depends really when you can get on your next ICP and first aid course.
Under EYFS starting Sept 1st you cannot start working as a minder till you have these two courses under your belt and Ofsted have issued a reg certificate and you have your insurances in place.
A CRB can take up to (sometimes longer) 12 weeks, the ICP course is normally run over 6 weeks and then you have a 12hr First aid (in our area 2x6hr saturday sessions).
Anywhere from - bare minimum 3months up to 6months

KatieMarks
08-08-2008, 01:34 PM
Depends really when you can get on your next ICP and first aid course.
Under EYFS starting Sept 1st you cannot start working as a minder till you have these two courses under your belt and Ofsted have issued a reg certificate and you have your insurances in place.
A CRB can take up to (sometimes longer) 12 weeks, the ICP course is normally run over 6 weeks and then you have a 12hr First aid (in our area 2x6hr saturday sessions).
Anywhere from - bare minimum 3months up to 6months

thank you. I am going to start the ball rolling now! Thank you X