PDA

View Full Version : Best toy garage?

mumofone
12-04-2016, 10:00 AM
Another day, another recommendation request! This time I'm looking for a nice wooden toy garage. Anyone got one they can recommend? Thank you!

loocyloo
12-04-2016, 12:00 PM
I've had wooden garages and couldn't find one that could take the demands of lots of small children.
I have a Fisher Price little people garage that is 10 yrs old and still going strong! Yes it's plastic, but it makes sounds and is much loved.

rollypolly
12-04-2016, 12:16 PM

This garage is on offer at Mothercare's, half price, down to £20. Lo's love it. My wooden garage just couldn't stand up to the lo's play! :)

FloraDora
12-04-2016, 02:18 PM
What are you looking for in a garage?

I have this Bosch one, which you can use to actually play at being a mechanic and having your car washed etc...

Bosch Car Service Station: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-8647-Car-Service-Station/dp/B007CCQW24/ref=lp_364217031_1_11?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1460469857&sr=1-11)

Then I have a Galt 26 year old wooden car park style that has lasted through my own children' several reception classes and now the mindees.
I don't think it's a case of saying wooden ones don't stand the test - mine proves this- I think it's the quality in the first place that counts - the same as if you buy a plastic one.
I have had a few plastic ones where small parts break and the edges of the ramps crack, I have had wooden ones that the ramps break too ( at school) but this Galt one is really simple and so has little to go wrong and made of sturdy stuff.

But the one that lasted amazingly quite long was a child made carpark - out of Amazon boxes - with old wooden rulers ( lingering with inches on them - they are much wider than current school rulers) and was versatile as it became all sorts of small world scenes too. Easily stored too as the boxes stacked inside each other.

mumofone
12-04-2016, 06:58 PM

I have this Bosch one, which you can use to actually play at being a mechanic and having your car washed etc...

Bosch Car Service Station: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-8647-Car-Service-Station/dp/B007CCQW24/ref=lp_364217031_1_11?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1460469857&sr=1-11)

Then I have a Galt 26 year old wooden car park style that has lasted through my own children' several reception classes and now the mindees.
I don't think it's a case of saying wooden ones don't stand the test - mine proves this- I think it's the quality in the first place that counts - the same as if you buy a plastic one.
I have had a few plastic ones where small parts break and the edges of the ramps crack, I have had wooden ones that the ramps break too ( at school) but this Galt one is really simple and so has little to go wrong and made of sturdy stuff.

But the one that lasted amazingly quite long was a child made carpark - out of Amazon boxes - with old wooden rulers ( lingering with inches on them - they are much wider than current school rulers) and was versatile as it became all sorts of small world scenes too. Easily stored too as the boxes stacked inside each other.

26 years old? That's good going!

in terms of what I am looking for I tend to sway towards wooden things (I just like the look of them more) but I'm open to anything really. I just want one that captures the children's interest. I have fond memories of one I used as a child which had a little turn handle thing on the side to make the lift go up and down but its probably very simple and its just my memory thinking it was better than it really was perhaps!!

I've seen some very expensive lovely looking ones but Im not sure they will necessarily be a hit with the children over cheaper versions.

mumofone
12-04-2016, 06:59 PM
That's interesting that you guys mention the wooden ones didn't stand up to the children, i would have thought the opposite (ie wood more sturdy than plastic ones) x

Mouse
12-04-2016, 07:07 PM
That's interesting that you guys mention the wooden ones didn't stand up to the children, i would have thought the opposite (ie wood more sturdy than plastic ones) x

It really depends on the quality.

I've got a wooden one Asda that I bought in a charity shop. I think they were about £25 new (not expensive for a wooden one). It's fine, but I doubt it'll last.

I've also got a Plan Toys one, again bought in a charity shop. They're about £60 new and the quality is completely different. This one actually looks like it will stand up to years of play.

mumofone
12-04-2016, 07:14 PM
It really depends on the quality. I've got a wooden one Asda that I bought in a charity shop. I think they were about £25 new (not expensive for a wooden one). It's fine, but I doubt it'll last. I've also got a Plan Toys one, again bought in a charity shop. They're about £60 new and the quality is completely different. This one actually looks like it will stand up to years of play.

Ooh I love plan toys stuff :-)

Yeh I saw a wooden Asda one for about £20 and I was surprised how nice it looked...

Mouse
12-04-2016, 07:28 PM
Ooh I love plan toys stuff :-)

Yeh I saw a wooden Asda one for about £20 and I was surprised how nice it looked...

I have a lot of Plan Toy stuff. It is worth paying more for.

The Asda one looks good - and it has the wind up lift - but you can tell it's not the same quality as Plan Toys. Some of the bits that came with it have already broken. It's definitely worth the £2 I paid for it!

Maza
12-04-2016, 07:58 PM
26 years old? That's good going!

in terms of what I am looking for I tend to sway towards wooden things (I just like the look of them more) but I'm open to anything really. I just want one that captures the children's interest. I have fond memories of one I used as a child which had a little turn handle thing on the side to make the lift go up and down but its probably very simple and its just my memory thinking it was better than it really was perhaps!!

I've seen some very expensive lovely looking ones but Im not sure they will necessarily be a hit with the children over cheaper versions.

As soon as I read your post it made me think of what sounds like the very same garage I used to love in the late 70s! I've just googled them and I'm pretty sure it was a Fisherprice one. I loved the lift and did it make a 'ding' sound when it got to the top? It was in my year 1 class when I was at school. I don't think year 1 classrooms have toys in them anymore. :(

mumofone
12-04-2016, 08:14 PM
As soon as I read your post it made me think of what sounds like the very same garage I used to love in the late 70s! I've just googled them and I'm pretty sure it was a Fisherprice one. I loved the lift and did it make a 'ding' sound when it got to the top? It was in my year 1 class when I was at school. I don't think year 1 classrooms have toys in them anymore. :(

Yes!!!! That's the one! :-) God I loved it!

Maza
12-04-2016, 08:25 PM
Yes!!!! That's the one! :-) God I loved it!

Me too and I was a real girly girl when it came to toys.

SYLVIA
12-04-2016, 08:31 PM

Love your Bosch garage. I have a mindee who's uncle and dad and their friends are total petrol heads and he would love to play with that. I'll have to do a search for one

samb
12-04-2016, 08:40 PM
I have fisher price little people which was my sons and its 5 years old. The children tend to line cars up and watch them go down the ramp. They pull at the lift and get annoyed with it but it hasn't broken with that aggression.

I look after mainly under 4s so only use chunky cars - if I used matchbox type then I would prefer a wooden one.

I did have a compact one that folded away into a wheel shape but it was awful and I threw it out. Awful in terms of little plastic bits falling off all the time.

loocyloo
12-04-2016, 09:36 PM

I've also got this one! Mine from a child! In the loft (along with a large amount of other 'vintage' Fisher Price little people! )

Simona
13-04-2016, 09:07 AM
anyone thought of a garage the children can build themselves...and take down when they have finished?

Made of real wood and other natural materials?
go into a wood yard shop and ask for any remnants they do not need and you can take home?

Also anyone has Community Playthings wooden blocks set?
The children used to make the most fantastic garages out of those...3 storeys high

Just a thought for those who do not wish to use plastic.