PDA

View Full Version : Mark making for under 2's

mumofone
07-04-2016, 07:15 PM
I know there is a focus on mark making for early writing in pre schoolers but wondered what everyone does to encourage mark making in under 2's?
Not sure I'm doing enough in this area or maybe j an but don't realise!!

moggy
07-04-2016, 07:39 PM
Fingers in yogurt on table at lunch
Chunky chalks/wet paintbrush while sitting on patio
Finger paints
In sand pit
Paint/gel etc sealed in zip-lock bag
Paint on a brush/crayons/chalks/chunky pencils sitting on big sheet of paper

But it is not linked to early writing in the under-2s, it is PD- Moving and Handling- making connections between their movements and the marks they make, and EAD- Exploring and using media/materials- sensory exploration, notices and is interested in the effects of making movements which leaves marks.
Literacy/Writing's earliest comments in Dev Matters is 22-36mths and that is about distinguishing between marks (so when they tell you about their marks), not just the sensory exploration of making marks which is what under 2s are usually busy with.

So usually we do not talk about under 2s's marks being 'early writing', it is all about sensory, exploration, making connections and noticing effects.

Simona
07-04-2016, 07:57 PM
National Stargtegies has all the answers....they can be found on the Foundation Years website and in this forum a few months ago we discussed them in some depth!

mumofone
04-05-2016, 10:28 AM
Fingers in yogurt on table at lunch Chunky chalks/wet paintbrush while sitting on patio Finger paints In sand pit Paint/gel etc sealed in zip-lock bag Paint on a brush/crayons/chalks/chunky pencils sitting on big sheet of paper But it is not linked to early writing in the under-2s, it is PD- Moving and Handling- making connections between their movements and the marks they make, and EAD- Exploring and using media/materials- sensory exploration, notices and is interested in the effects of making movements which leaves marks. Literacy/Writing's earliest comments in Dev Matters is 22-36mths and that is about distinguishing between marks (so when they tell you about their marks), not just the sensory exploration of making marks which is what under 2s are usually busy with. So usually we do not talk about under 2s's marks being 'early writing', it is all about sensory, exploration, making connections and noticing effects.

Thanks moggy, that was really helpful, I find I get confused in this area! :-)

mumofone
04-05-2016, 10:28 AM
National Stargtegies has all the answers....they can be found on the Foundation Years website and in this forum a few months ago we discussed them in some depth!

Thanks Simona yep I have that document, they're a good set of documents so thanks for that recommendation :-)