PDA

View Full Version : Toy castle!

mumofone
06-04-2016, 04:31 PM
Can anyone recommend me a nice/good toy castle please? Ages 2 upwards. Thank you :-)

Maza
06-04-2016, 05:53 PM
I've made a few over the years out of various sizes of cardboard boxes. Maybe it's because I've got a daughter (who isn't interested in princesses) as opposed to a son (sorry for the stereotyping), but I've always found that they have a limited shelf life given the amount of room they take up. Just as interest starts to wane I find that the box is getting tatty and I can just chuck it and make another one in a few months/years time. I haven't ever bought a doll's house for the same reason, BUT my sister did give me a big plastic Batman cave - the same size as most castles and doll's houses - and it was used every single day, so you know your children. It had movable parts and I think that was part of the appeal.

Sorry, that didn't answer your question at all, but it's worth considering.

tulip0803
06-04-2016, 08:43 PM
We have the Melissa and Doug castle blocks and the children love it. They can make it in any way they like, rebuild etc. It comes in a wooden tray so easy to store too :) I got mine new off ebay :)

Buy Melissa & Doug 28-Piece Wooden Castle Blocks from our All Wooden Toys range - Tesco (http://www.tesco.com/direct/melissa-doug-28-piece-wooden-castle-blocks/294-5793.prd?skuId=294-5793&pageLevel=sku&sc_cmp=ppc_sh-_-sh-_-bg-_-294-5793&gclid=CKyNzYXw-ssCFTUz0wod4HwA2A&gclsrc=aw.ds)

FloraDora
06-04-2016, 09:47 PM
We have a playmobil one which is still wonderful 24 years after it was bought for my son.
DH made one - also good and has lasted the time, it has levers and pulleys which ours love.
But my favourite is one I bought second hand off a friend :

Melissa & Doug - Folding Medieval Castle: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Melissa-Doug-Folding-Medieval-Castle/dp/B0028RBIQS/ref=lp_364306031_1_23?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1459978730&sr=1-23)

I love the fact it opens up - then more children can access it at the same time.

Mine do tend to start in the castles but then the Knights and Princesses end up on an arm chair or in a quiet corner with a LO , still playing and narrating an imaginary story on the theme, but castle abandoned.

Boxes are great , big ones, outdoors equals lots of fun.

mumofone
12-04-2016, 07:00 PM
We have a playmobil one which is still wonderful 24 years after it was bought for my son.
DH made one - also good and has lasted the time, it has levers and pulleys which ours love.
But my favourite is one I bought second hand off a friend :

Melissa & Doug - Folding Medieval Castle: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Melissa-Doug-Folding-Medieval-Castle/dp/B0028RBIQS/ref=lp_364306031_1_23?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1459978730&sr=1-23)

I love the fact it opens up - then more children can access it at the same time.

Mine do tend to start in the castles but then the Knights and Princesses end up on an arm chair or in a quiet corner with a LO , still playing and narrating an imaginary story on the theme, but castle abandoned.

Boxes are great , big ones, outdoors equals lots of fun.

oh wow, thats lovely. Its a bit pricey but was definitely the kind of thing I would go for :-)

mumofone
12-04-2016, 07:01 PM
We have the Melissa and Doug castle blocks and the children love it. They can make it in any way they like, rebuild etc. It comes in a wooden tray so easy to store too :) I got mine new off ebay :)

Buy Melissa & Doug 28-Piece Wooden Castle Blocks from our All Wooden Toys range - Tesco (http://www.tesco.com/direct/melissa-doug-28-piece-wooden-castle-blocks/294-5793.prd?skuId=294-5793&pageLevel=sku&sc_cmp=ppc_sh-_-sh-_-bg-_-294-5793&gclid=CKyNzYXw-ssCFTUz0wod4HwA2A&gclsrc=aw.ds)

This is the one Ive been eyeing up! This is probably the one I will go for, i think this is cheaper than ive seen it elsewhere too, thanks tulip :-) x

mumofone
12-04-2016, 07:03 PM
I've made a few over the years out of various sizes of cardboard boxes. Maybe it's because I've got a daughter (who isn't interested in princesses) as opposed to a son (sorry for the stereotyping), but I've always found that they have a limited shelf life given the amount of room they take up. Just as interest starts to wane I find that the box is getting tatty and I can just chuck it and make another one in a few months/years time. I haven't ever bought a doll's house for the same reason, BUT my sister did give me a big plastic Batman cave - the same size as most castles and doll's houses - and it was used every single day, so you know your children. It had movable parts and I think that was part of the appeal.

Sorry, that didn't answer your question at all, but it's worth considering.

Haha that's ok Maza its definitely worth considering. I have wondered about the space issue, whenever I am thinking about a new resource of toy (often as you might have guessed!) I look around and think about where I have space to put it! :-) x