PDA

View Full Version : Advice please...

mookie
05-04-2016, 12:53 PM
I've just taken on a 30 month old girl. Her cm is starting maternity leave so she is here while her own cm is on maternity leave.
She has not been here long but I am concerned about her development. She says maybe 2 or 3 words only. She can point and grunt and she an understand things such as "where's your nose" etc. Trouble is, mum says she can't give me her book/diary/learning journey, as her cm has specifically asked her not to. While I'm tempted to just start again, and work out where her first steps are, It would be in the child's best interest if I could just carry on where she left off?
Or am I wrong to want to see it? I feel uncomfortable at the moment to ask mum for her concerns if she has any. She hasn't told me of any concerns or developmental delay apart from she's not potty training yet. She does seem very "unlike" her peers.
Just wondered if anyone had ideas?

amirose
05-04-2016, 01:10 PM
Could it be possible she is just really shy? You said you have just taken her on do just thinking maybe she needs longer to get used to be change? I looked after a little girl with selective mutism and it was hard work but after a year with me she was a different child.
Not sharing the learning journal is a bit daft, sounds like the other childminder is obviously worried about you 'nicking her ideas' or something which is daft and certainly not putting the child's best interests first. I would ask the parent again wether you could at the very least see her starting points/tracker sheet. If that can't be done then ask mum in for a meeting to establish starting points. If a child has not been in a childcare setting before I send home the early learning goals and a highlighter pen when childrens first start to establish starting points.