PDA

View Full Version : Maternity leave

tulikraska
04-04-2016, 09:54 AM
Hello everyone!
Just wonder how long was your maternity leave. I am pregnant with my first child and intend to take only four weeks off as I don't want to lose my clients and also need to start earning ASAP because maternity allowance is too low (for example only my rent is £1550).
Did anyone take this short maternity leave? Is it manageable? My mum is coming over for two weeks to help with my baby when I open setting after four weeks.
Thanks

Jessymax
04-04-2016, 11:10 AM
how exciting congratulations, I don't have children yet but obviously you know how demanding the job is but your rent sounds v expensive! My worry would be that you will regret not having more time with your new baby.. do you work 5 days xx

Kaybeaa
05-04-2016, 08:04 PM
Hi, congratulations! I'm due to have my second child at the start of October and am planning to take 3 months off and begin again after Christmas. I took 6 months off when my first child was born 4 years ago although I wasn't a childminder at the time. I'm gutted that I can't take 6 months off this time around but quite simply I can't afford to! Is there no way you can't take any longer than a month? Only reason i ask is because having your first child can be a big shock to the system and very full on, (I'm sure you know!) and it can take a long time to get back on your feet, not to mention getting your energy back and your routines sorted, plus the baby into a good night time routine that gives you more sleep!. I wouldn't want you to end up resenting the families you work for because you feel robbed of precious time with the baby, or feel like you couldn't put 100% in because you're too tired. That's why I can't personally imagine going back before 3 months, but obviously people cope differently and you may be fine. Just food for thought :)

clareelizabeth1
05-04-2016, 08:22 PM
I took a year and truly feel it was too short. I wish i had had more time. Take as long as u possibly can.

amirose
06-04-2016, 06:24 AM
I intended to do his with my first. I worked up until the Friday and my son was born Tuesday night. After the planned four weeks I had suitability discovered just how exhausted I was recovering from childbirth and coping with a newborn (who had severe silent reflux). I managed to get another two weeks from my very considerate families but after 6 weeks had no choice but to go back to work. It was SO hard!!! I was desperately trying to get my son in a routine but had to work around drop offs and pick ups, parents overstaying to chat, parents being late, school runs, it was literally awful. I was also breastfeeding and my son fed round the clock so I was having to answer the door to parents whilst feeding and working out how I would prepare lunch/tea for all the other minded kids.
I am now pregnant with my second, my son will be 2 when this one is born so having discussed it with my fiancée - I will be giving up work :clapping: I can't wait to be able to just concentrate on my babies. I will go back to it once my son starts preschool in September 2017 but I simply cannot wait to have all that time with my babies :D

tulikraska
06-04-2016, 07:08 AM
Thank you all for your replies!
I wish I could take more time off, but my financial situation is stressing me. I already spent so much money on IVF (that was my only option to have a baby) and don't have enough savings to take more then 4 weeks off :( Also I work with an assistant and can't leave him without salary for months.
I guess having my assistant will help a lot and we don't do any school runs. We work Monday to Friday from 8-6 and will have 4 (some days 5) children a day plus my baby. As this is my first child I really can't imagine how hard and demanding it's gonna be. I'll try to put my baby into a routine and do schedule feeding and bottle feed if it will make my life easier but who knows I might change my plans completely when he is born! I don't think I'll resent my parents as this was completely my decision and some of them told me to take more time off :)

litlle acorns
06-04-2016, 10:53 AM
Hi, I am currently 3 days into my 4 weeks maternity leave and due this Thursday with my 3rd. No sign of baby yet :( I am now starting to get a little worried that I will go over due and then only have a week and a half to recover after. I am in the same situation with money and if I was to take longer off I would loose the children I have. All I can advice you to think about is when you will start your leave as I think I could of worked a little longer before taking mine.

Good luck :)

tulikraska
07-04-2016, 09:58 AM
Hi, I am currently 3 days into my 4 weeks maternity leave and due this Thursday with my 3rd. No sign of baby yet :( I am now starting to get a little worried that I will go over due and then only have a week and a half to recover after. I am in the same situation with money and if I was to take longer off I would loose the children I have. All I can advice you to think about is when you will start your leave as I think I could of worked a little longer before taking mine. Good luck :)
Thank you for your advice. I intend to work till my due date but a bit worried that I will go over due and my maternity leave will be shorter too. Well babies they don't care about our plans :) Good luck to you too!!!!

amirose
07-04-2016, 11:08 AM
Thank you for your advice. I intend to work till my due date but a bit worried that I will go over due and my maternity leave will be shorter too. Well babies they don't care about our plans :) Good luck to you too!!!!

I had the opposite, he came two weeks early and nicked the two weeks I had planned to myself for chilling out before he arrived!!! Although to be fair I was so tired and uncomfortable it probably wouldn't have been that enjoyable anyway haha.