PDA

View Full Version : Sand and water table area

mumofone
31-03-2016, 01:10 PM
I have a large sand and water table that sits on my lawn and inevitably after just a couple of minutes the whole area is drenched and becomes a slippery mud bath. Is there anything j can put on the ground to solve this? What Dyou all do? Unfortunately ive only got grass.

mumofone
31-03-2016, 01:12 PM
Oh and what age do they stop drinking the water and trying to eat the ****** sand?!

FloraDora
31-03-2016, 06:43 PM
I think the key to water play is the size of the container - sometimes if it is too small then they splash over the sides.

What works for me at this time of the year is to put smaller things in a water table- jugs, scoops, pipettes, syringes, bottles, tea set - which lend themselves to exploring filling - it seems to fascinate them and I rarely have spillage.
Another non mess with water is to put in Under the sea or fish or mermaids - small world, again they play with the smallworld and little overflow.
I tend to let them have water play in different ways though - at the outdoor kitchen, mixing with loose materials, watering the plants and garden. Making little pretend ponds. Making perfume.
When the weather is nicer they do more splashy things when it dries quickly....waterwalls, splash mats, etc...

I wouldn't put the sand and water together unless you want it to be wet sand which is great for other types of play.

A piece of leftover carpet/ old carpet on top of the grass then tray on top of it might help.

mumofone
31-03-2016, 06:59 PM
I think the key to water play is the size of the container - sometimes if it is too small then they splash over the sides. What works for me at this time of the year is to put smaller things in a water table- jugs, scoops, pipettes, syringes, bottles, tea set - which lend themselves to exploring filling - it seems to fascinate them and I rarely have spillage. Another non mess with water is to put in Under the sea or fish or mermaids - small world, again they play with the smallworld and little overflow. I tend to let them have water play in different ways though - at the outdoor kitchen, mixing with loose materials, watering the plants and garden. Making little pretend ponds. Making perfume. When the weather is nicer they do more splashy things when it dries quickly....waterwalls, splash mats, etc... I wouldn't put the sand and water together unless you want it to be wet sand which is great for other types of play. A piece of leftover carpet/ old carpet on top of the grass then tray on top of it might help.

Thanks flora, I think you may have linked to them before but can I ask which pipettes and syringes you have please?

FloraDora
31-03-2016, 07:31 PM
Thanks flora, I think you may have linked to them before but can I ask which pipettes and syringes you have please?

Pictures of the ones we use the most below.

miffy
31-03-2016, 09:59 PM
Ooo I like the pipettes in the stand Flora - where did you get them from please?

miffy xx

FloraDora
01-04-2016, 07:32 AM
Ooo I like the pipettes in the stand Flora - where did you get them from please?

miffy xx

Learning resources- Primary science jumbo droppers - Amazon .

miffy
05-04-2016, 09:36 PM
Learning resources- Primary science jumbo droppers - Amazon .

Thank you FloraDora - I will have a look at those

Miffy xx