PDA

View Full Version : 2 year check

mumofone
29-03-2016, 11:59 AM
I've got a child joining me a couple of months before their second birthday. They are currently at nursery. Who should do the two year check, me? Do I need any info from the nursery? Thank you

moggy
29-03-2016, 12:57 PM
Is the child finishing at the nursery?
Or are you in addition to the nursery?
In either case, if they are local enough I would be asking to meet the key person at the nursery to talk about the child (with parent's permission)

If the child is leaving the nursery completely:
You can ask for the previous nursery to give their LJ, or whatever documentation they do on learning and dev to the parent to give to you. If they have an online system you can ask for a download of their LJ, if the nursery are giving the parents a scrap book LJ to keep then you can ask parents to bring it to you to have a look and you can then make some notes/scans/photos of recent obs to add to your 'starting points'/'all about me'.

If you are sharing care with the nursery, it is all about 'working together'- arrange a meeting to talk about how you can keep each other updated and share planning/next steps/obs etc. How you can share LJs maybe, online systems can be good for that as you can both log-on.

2yr check: The check needs to be done 'between 24-36 months'- as it says in EYFS.
So, sometime after their 2nd birthday. I would do it around 27-28 months to let the child really settle in and for you to really get to know them and what they can do. If the child is at nursery and with you, you might both do a 2-yr check. Or you might sit together to make one together- but it has to be acknowledged as by both of you as it is a statutory requirement and you want to make it clear you have made a 2-yr check yourself (with or without the nursery) and have a copy in your own folder.

FloraDora
29-03-2016, 01:05 PM
Quote from Gov.uk:

The EYFS requires providers to supply parents and carers with a short written summary of every child’s development when they are between 24 and 36 months old. This progress check allows practitioners to identify which children need additional support.

If coming from a nursery you will be provided with an up to date assessment I should think that you can refer to when completing your starting point observations and assessment. Also parents will give you information too. I would ask parents if they think the nursery assessment is accurate in their opinion. I say this because I have received children from another setting and their assessments were not accurate and thankfully the parent agreed that they had said the child achieved when they hadn't.

The nursery won't complete the 2 year check as it is completed in the year they ar 2 not before they reach two.
In reality most people keep ongoing up to date assessments then, when the parents say the HV have booked an appointment, you transfer their info onto the relevant form. My county now require us to use their form, previously I have created my own.
I have completed a 2 year check when a child is 26 moths old and one when a child is 33 months. I have a LO who will be 2 in June so I am intending to put their end of term review on the County's 2 year check form in case parents are contacted by HV in the 6 week school holiday. If no contact has been made I expect I will redo it as and when.

mumofone
29-03-2016, 01:36 PM
Sorry should have said child is leaving nursery altogether to come to me..

Simona
30-03-2016, 09:02 AM
Quote from Gov.uk:

The EYFS requires providers to supply parents and carers with a short written summary of every child’s development when they are between 24 and 36 months old. This progress check allows practitioners to identify which children need additional support.

If coming from a nursery you will be provided with an up to date assessment I should think that you can refer to when completing your starting point observations and assessment. Also parents will give you information too. I would ask parents if they think the nursery assessment is accurate in their opinion. I say this because I have received children from another setting and their assessments were not accurate and thankfully the parent agreed that they had said the child achieved when they hadn't.

The nursery won't complete the 2 year check as it is completed in the year they ar 2 not before they reach two.
In reality most people keep ongoing up to date assessments then, when the parents say the HV have booked an appointment, you transfer their info onto the relevant form. My county now require us to use their form, previously I have created my own.
I have completed a 2 year check when a child is 26 moths old and one when a child is 33 months. I have a LO who will be 2 in June so I am intending to put their end of term review on the County's 2 year check form in case parents are contacted by HV in the 6 week school holiday. If no contact has been made I expect I will redo it as and when.

I read with a little trepidation about your LA wanting all providers to do the 'same' 2 year old check form....I can see maybe a small reason behind it but why force one type of paperwork on all when the EYFS has an accompanying document?
I fear for the freedom to be 'individual' in this progress check
It reminds me of 'All about me' which were devised by LAs and many do but sometimes confuse with starting points.

Is everyone happy to follow that form in your area or is there any challenge?

I recall training with the woman who helped to write the 'A know how guide for the Progress check at 2...which was published by NCB.....she was adamant it was up to us to have our own version...indeed that document has several versions from which...like you...I devised my own.

One thing has not changed since the requirement to do a 2 year old Progress check is how and when we get to exchange assessments about children who move from one setting to another which you have described very well and when it should take place.

Look out for the DfE consultation on how to share info for the 30 hours...it will be out soon.

FloraDora
31-03-2016, 12:26 AM
To be fair to our county the one form is meant to link all the different agencies i.e we all follow the same format.
They have also made sure that 'every voice matters'.
So, I am hoping that the next 2 year check by me carries a lot of emphasis with HV.

Simona
31-03-2016, 08:56 AM
To be fair to our county the one form is meant to link all the different agencies i.e we all follow the same format.
They have also made sure that 'every voice matters'.
So, I am hoping that the next 2 year check by me carries a lot of emphasis with HV.

Thanks Flora Dora
Yes I have the same feeling... it would somehow involve HV and actually get some meaning behind the Progress Check.

I wonder if this is something we will see more often when the Integrated Review comes to be...have not heard anymore but I am sure it would help and also may engage more HV with providers...real Multi Agency working.

I am in favour, at times, of shared forms/documents because they make life easier for all of us and focus on the children...like singing from the same hymn sheet ...if you know what I mean.

catswhiskers
31-03-2016, 10:28 PM
Hi mumofone, yes I guess you would need to do the 2 year progress check as child would be with you then.

Making contact with child's previous nursery would be a good idea but do not expect to get anything back but as long as you've tried don't worry and just go with how you are looking after the children.

Simona
01-04-2016, 08:43 AM
I may also be useful to give parents What to Expect. When?...you can find that on the Foundation Years website
Parents are then aware what and how their child should be progressing

DfE is now keen to know if this document is helpful...do use it and let parents have a copy and be equally in charge and involved/engaged in their child' s progress and input into LJs as these are for both provider and parents to input in...not just for Ofsted :rolleyes:

Also refer to research published yesterday that parents are 'underestimating' their child's progress....we can help and work together and improve the Home Learning Environment :thumbsup:

I don't think we need to guess what procedures need to be followed....EYFS...as mentioned by Flora Dora is very clear and has not changed for years....share it with parents.

2 Year old Check happens between 24-36 months...alert the parents they may receive a sudden call to attend the HV...the check usually takes place at their nearest Children Centre where the HV will be based....if not sure check it out

Often the check happens early ...closer to 24 months than 36...be aware and ready and prepare the parents for what to expect...many do not know

When a child is leaving a provider...that provider must give a final assessment of progress to the parents ...the parents should also ask for the child's records to be given to them as records belong to parents not the provider....check it out if unsure.

Parents pass records on to next provider...if not received new provider and parents can ask old provider what the problem is with not sharing ...every nursery does LJ therefore there should be no hesitation in passing records.

This system has always been in place and nurseries/preschools/Cms must co-operate in information sharing and Multi Agency working...see recent research called Starting School Together...where all providers and schools work together for the benefit of the child

If there have been 'difficulties' in sharing information previously between Cms and other settings ...let's turn a page and start 'working together' now...as the new buzzword goes...the 30 hours will give us no choice but to do so.