PDA

View Full Version : 2 year break - what have I missed? What do I need to know?

Bluebell
27-03-2016, 07:07 PM
So I haven't been childminding and am looking like I am going to come back to it. I kept my registration and last summer holidays did some holiday care but haven't done any at all for a good few months! So I guess I have my work cut out for me - reading up on any EYFS changes and replenishing my contracts and policies and definitely got my hands full sorting the state of my house! Got to re-buy carseats, pushchairs and highchairs and removed all safety gates and so on. Finding the thought of 'starting again' all a bit overwhelming but will have the summer holidays to get to grips with it as looking to start in September.
What would you say are major changes I need to know?
I'll be up to date with safeguarding and first aid. I've kept my registration and insurance up to date so its just making sure I am up to date with all the regulations /EYFS!

What is the deal with agencies? Have many people joined - are they working? They were just coming in 2 years ago.

Anything else I need to be aware of? Feel out of the loop and aware how fast things can change!

Maza
27-03-2016, 09:26 PM
Hello again!

I had my 'no children on roll' inspection a couple of weeks ago and so I had to go through everything to make sure I was up to date, as hadn't looked at my paperwork in a while!

I would suggest you start with the safeguarding stuff. Look through the EYFS, the statutory bit, it's really not that long or that bad once you get stuck in!
Then go through the medication section and make sure you have all the necessary forms. If you are with PACEY, just look at their shop.

Don't worry about agencies. From what I can gather most people haven't joined one.

It will all come flooding back to you. x

Simona
28-03-2016, 10:01 AM
So I haven't been childminding and am looking like I am going to come back to it. I kept my registration and last summer holidays did some holiday care but haven't done any at all for a good few months! So I guess I have my work cut out for me - reading up on any EYFS changes and replenishing my contracts and policies and definitely got my hands full sorting the state of my house! Got to re-buy carseats, pushchairs and highchairs and removed all safety gates and so on. Finding the thought of 'starting again' all a bit overwhelming but will have the summer holidays to get to grips with it as looking to start in September.
What would you say are major changes I need to know?
I'll be up to date with safeguarding and first aid. I've kept my registration and insurance up to date so its just making sure I am up to date with all the regulations /EYFS!

What is the deal with agencies? Have many people joined - are they working? They were just coming in 2 years ago.

Anything else I need to be aware of? Feel out of the loop and aware how fast things can change!

Where to start?
A 'few' changes have taken place and some will happen in the near future....and there have been new publications recently....keep looking at Ofsted and 4 Children newsletters...it will help you.

We now have a new inspection framework...the Common Inspection Framework...which focusses on teaching NOT paperwork but you may have heard of that
Ofsted will return to inspecting EY settings next year in April 2017...at times Ofsted do listen to the sector :cool:
Ofsted have had their budget cut like everyone else...we don't as yet know how that will reflect on us
DfE has announced ALL registration fees will be reviewed...finally we can raise the discussion again and scotch all rumours!!

Ofsted Big Conversation has resulted in positive actions especially in setting up Scrutiny Panels for Complaints...they will include CMs.
Latest Ofsted statistics have shown an increase in the good/outstanding grades at inspection...including Cms who Ofsted have 'praised' for the rise in standards...but no apology from HMCI bashing of cms in the past
...uh! Sir Michael Wilshaw is retiring in December...a new head is being hunted for Ofsted and DfE has started looking in the US I hear :rolleyes:

a few new Ofsted guidance publications were out recently so you will need to look at to bring yourself up to speed...especially the one Cms can now work 50% from home and the rest running an after school club.
If you employ an assistant beware of the new National Living Wage and pension schemes you have to pay for your employee ;)

EYFS remains the same...in some sections it is really out of date ...but eh! the DfE does not care at all...just follow it if you can
too many providers still do too much paperwork but you can reflect on your own system...do not ever do it for Ofsted's 'just in case'...do as required but no surplus!!

Cms Agencies...9 are now registered and you can find them on the Ofsted website
there is still a little veil of secrecy but they are being promoted again by 4Children...one agency in particular has well over 10 Cms ...or 17 I think...on their books so we await the agency first ever inspection .now that Ofsted has published how they will be inspected...and no grading for agencies!

Cms think there is little going on....some beg to differ....Cms are not joining in droves and there are constant calls for the govt to rethink agencies...but this govt is suffering from severe 'listening problems' and everything is as clear as mud!

Latest Ofsted statistics show another drop in Cms....now that they are needed so much for the 30 hours many are packing up and saying goodbye!...who can blame them?
There have been changes to Tax Credits for Cms like everyone else it is harder to claim so you have to work harder

Have you heard of the 30 hours childcare?.... another last minute Tory policy to attract voters ...policy still 'under construction' with some LA taking part in the trials from Sept 2016...and providers starting to lose patience!
at the moment no one knows what future funding will be as we await another consultation...so you will need to continue subsidising childcare if you do 15 hrs funding until Ministers decide
The Tax Free Childcare has had another small set back and has been delayed a wee bit...childcare vouchers have been extended....lots to look out for there!

Following on the 30 hours there are various conferences and endless discussions about how this will work ...how...and who needs to work together ('working together' is the new buzzword) in EY at present...but you will soon hear about this...be prepared!

DfE has encouraged providers to be 'grateful' for the money invested in childcare and Gyimah...remember him?....has asked sector to be more positive and not stir up trouble which has got on some people's nose...don't blame them.

The EY pot is constantly on simmer...there is a lot going on and we need to be patient and vocal in opposing some of the rubbish policies the DfE spews out

I am sure you have heard of all schools being forced to become academies?...2 petitions are out if you want to sign and joint he 100,000s who have signed...some worry about the implications for the EY sector.
Teachers are fighting against the Baseline Assessment which is being reported on tv at their conference...brave people they are.

Did you take part in the DfE consultation on funding a while back? if you did the DfE has no records of our response...which some spent hours arriving at.... because another company did the consultation...Deloitte and the records belong to them so the FOI cannot be followed.
Deloitte was commissioned by the DfE but looks like DfE never asked for records?...it's a mad world :eek: :rolleyes:

Don't feel too overwhelmed...keep informed and good luck :thumbsup:

Bluebell
29-03-2016, 08:27 AM
Hello again!

I had my 'no children on roll' inspection a couple of weeks ago and so I had to go through everything to make sure I was up to date, as hadn't looked at my paperwork in a while!

I would suggest you start with the safeguarding stuff. Look through the EYFS, the statutory bit, it's really not that long or that bad once you get stuck in!
Then go through the medication section and make sure you have all the necessary forms. If you are with PACEY, just look at their shop.

Don't worry about agencies. From what I can gather most people haven't joined one.

It will all come flooding back to you. x

Thank you - I am overdue an inspection as they had been trying to get hold of me and as I was working couldn't - they eventually wrote to me saying they would cancel my registration if they couldn't inspect! I phoned them to explain I'd done some holiday care but was working elsewhere and they said I would have a 'met' or 'not met' if inspected with no children on roll. I know they did this area in September and I was missed because they couldn't get me so I am hoping I am back of the queue for an inspection as no children on roll! My house is a mess and all my childminding stuff is in the loft - it would be a job to get me at home as I am full time working and would not be able to get time off - they'd have to come in half term - so an inspection for me before I start up again would be a nightmare. I assume they need to see all your files and paperwork as if you were working?!

Simona
29-03-2016, 08:36 AM
Thank you - I am overdue an inspection as they had been trying to get hold of me and as I was working couldn't - they eventually wrote to me saying they would cancel my registration if they couldn't inspect! I phoned them to explain I'd done some holiday care but was working elsewhere and they said I would have a 'met' or 'not met' if inspected with no children on roll. I know they did this area in September and I was missed because they couldn't get me so I am hoping I am back of the queue for an inspection as no children on roll! My house is a mess and all my childminding stuff is in the loft - it would be a job to get me at home as I am full time working and would not be able to get time off - they'd have to come in half term - so an inspection for me before I start up again would be a nightmare. I assume they need to see all your files and paperwork as if you were working?!

As a caution I would try to find out what is happening...up to you really.
My understanding is that Ofsted must carry out an inspection if one is due...even if you have No children on roll.
I am not sure they would accept anyone being difficult to contact due to their working hours
As far as Ofsted are concerned you are still registered and therefore need to be inspected at some stage...they also expect certain documentation to be in place so they can judge you are 'Meeting' the requirements of your registration

Do check it out...if Ofsted have been trying to contact you and have been unsuccessful you would receive a letter
Please check this too as well as their latest guidance on Inspections with no children on roll.

Good luck!

Bluebell
29-03-2016, 08:40 AM
Where to start?
A 'few' changes have taken place and some will happen in the near future....and there have been new publications recently....keep looking at Ofsted and 4 Children newsletters...it will help you.

We now have a new inspection framework...the Common Inspection Framework...which focusses on teaching NOT paperwork but you may have heard of that
Ofsted will return to inspecting EY settings next year in April 2017...at times Ofsted do listen to the sector :cool:
Ofsted have had their budget cut like everyone else...we don't as yet know how that will reflect on us
DfE has announced ALL registration fees will be reviewed...finally we can raise the discussion again and scotch all rumours!!

Ofsted Big Conversation has resulted in positive actions especially in setting up Scrutiny Panels for Complaints...they will include CMs.
Latest Ofsted statistics have shown an increase in the good/outstanding grades at inspection...including Cms who Ofsted have 'praised' for the rise in standards...but no apology from HMCI bashing of cms in the past
...uh! Sir Michael Wilshaw is retiring in December...a new head is being hunted for Ofsted and DfE has started looking in the US I hear :rolleyes:

a few new Ofsted guidance publications were out recently so you will need to look at to bring yourself up to speed...especially the one Cms can now work 50% from home and the rest running an after school club.
If you employ an assistant beware of the new National Living Wage and pension schemes you have to pay for your employee ;)

EYFS remains the same...in some sections it is really out of date ...but eh! the DfE does not care at all...just follow it if you can
too many providers still do too much paperwork but you can reflect on your own system...do not ever do it for Ofsted's 'just in case'...do as required but no surplus!!

Cms Agencies...9 are now registered and you can find them on the Ofsted website
there is still a little veil of secrecy but they are being promoted again by 4Children...one agency in particular has well over 10 Cms ...or 17 I think...on their books so we await the agency first ever inspection .now that Ofsted has published how they will be inspected...and no grading for agencies!

Cms think there is little going on....some beg to differ....Cms are not joining in droves and there are constant calls for the govt to rethink agencies...but this govt is suffering from severe 'listening problems' and everything is as clear as mud!

Latest Ofsted statistics show another drop in Cms....now that they are needed so much for the 30 hours many are packing up and saying goodbye!...who can blame them?
There have been changes to Tax Credits for Cms like everyone else it is harder to claim so you have to work harder

Have you heard of the 30 hours childcare?.... another last minute Tory policy to attract voters ...policy still 'under construction' with some LA taking part in the trials from Sept 2016...and providers starting to lose patience!
at the moment no one knows what future funding will be as we await another consultation...so you will need to continue subsidising childcare if you do 15 hrs funding until Ministers decide
The Tax Free Childcare has had another small set back and has been delayed a wee bit...childcare vouchers have been extended....lots to look out for there!

Following on the 30 hours there are various conferences and endless discussions about how this will work ...how...and who needs to work together ('working together' is the new buzzword) in EY at present...but you will soon hear about this...be prepared!

DfE has encouraged providers to be 'grateful' for the money invested in childcare and Gyimah...remember him?....has asked sector to be more positive and not stir up trouble which has got on some people's nose...don't blame them.

The EY pot is constantly on simmer...there is a lot going on and we need to be patient and vocal in opposing some of the rubbish policies the DfE spews out

I am sure you have heard of all schools being forced to become academies?...2 petitions are out if you want to sign and joint he 100,000s who have signed...some worry about the implications for the EY sector.
Teachers are fighting against the Baseline Assessment which is being reported on tv at their conference...brave people they are.

Did you take part in the DfE consultation on funding a while back? if you did the DfE has no records of our response...which some spent hours arriving at.... because another company did the consultation...Deloitte and the records belong to them so the FOI cannot be followed.
Deloitte was commissioned by the DfE but looks like DfE never asked for records?...it's a mad world :eek: :rolleyes:

Don't feel too overwhelmed...keep informed and good luck :thumbsup:

ooh thank you - lots to bear in mind and some good places to go for information - thank you. I asked my DO and she just sent me the report from her last visit about 3 years ago!!!
Don't think I'll go down the route of an assistant again - was more hassles than it was worth to be honest
We don't have them joining in droves here either and in fact lots have left - retired, moved on to other careers or stopped due to other circumstances.

I have heard about the 30 hours childcare and wondered if its even worth registering to offer the funded childcare - but know I will otherwise its not fair on parents - or likely to make me less attractive to potential customers. I know childminders that parents pay a top up which I know they are not supposed to and I never wanted to but wonder if this is a way forward - I'm thinking of charging a day rate so could get the parent to pay the difference maybe? :)

Anyway thank you so much for all that info and pointing me in the right direction:)

Simona
29-03-2016, 08:50 AM
ooh thank you - lots to bear in mind and some good places to go for information - thank you. I asked my DO and she just sent me the report from her last visit about 3 years ago!!!
Don't think I'll go down the route of an assistant again - was more hassles than it was worth to be honest
We don't have them joining in droves here either and in fact lots have left - retired, moved on to other careers or stopped due to other circumstances.

I have heard about the 30 hours childcare and wondered if its even worth registering to offer the funded childcare - but know I will otherwise its not fair on parents - or likely to make me less attractive to potential customers. I know childminders that parents pay a top up which I know they are not supposed to and I never wanted to but wonder if this is a way forward - I'm thinking of charging a day rate so could get the parent to pay the difference maybe? :)

Anyway thank you so much for all that info and pointing me in the right direction:)

You can't offer the 30 hours unless your LA is one of those in the trials...there are 8 of them trialling from Sept 2016 so do find out if yours is am 'implementer'.
I would be cautious too...those in the trials do not know themselves what their funding will be at this moment as the DfE has to work it out yet :mad:...as per usual DfE are looking for 'innovative' ideas which will come from those volunteering!...same old story.

Keep in mind anyway as the 30 hours is now part of the Childcare Act so in the end it is legal...no point in closing the doors until we have all the details.

There are so many unanswered questions around the 30 hours so keep an open mind and when the time comes all Cms will be able to decide what suits the children, parents and their setting.
There is certainly going to be a lot of 'working in partnership' with other settings....how strange is that?

Oh! ...and do look out for the DfE consultation on the 'working together' for the 30 hours ...they want our opinions on how we should do this
The consultation will be out soon...we will give our opinions and possibly not be heard...nothing new there!:rolleyes:

Bluebell
29-03-2016, 08:54 AM
As a caution I would try to find out what is happening...up to you really.
My understanding is that Ofsted must carry out an inspection if one is due...even if you have No children on roll.
I am not sure they would accept anyone being difficult to contact due to their working hours
As far as Ofsted are concerned you are still registered and therefore need to be inspected at some stage...they also expect certain documentation to be in place so they can judge you are 'Meeting' the requirements of your registration

Do check it out...if Ofsted have been trying to contact you and have been unsuccessful you would receive a letter
Please check this too as well as their latest guidance on Inspections with no children on roll.

Good luck!

That's really helpful - thank you :) - I phoned them straight away as their letter made it pretty clear that they were obligated to inspect and that would be why my registration would be cancelled if not inspected. They now also have my mobile number so can get hold of me if they need to (although I don't have it with me in lessons) but have had no missed calls!
I had a no children on roll on my last inspection and she postponed it for a month or so - it was literally 2 weeks between having children leave and new children start - and it was another 7-8 months before they got back round to me! They seem terribly short staffed round here and hence why it takes so long to get back round to it - but she said she had no control over coming back to see me as she has to wait for her 'list' to be allocated to her.
I couldn't see any guidance on inspection with no children on roll so I will definitely go back and look for that again! I asked my DO but she was next to useless and sent me her paperwork from her visit to me a few years ago which was not relevant to me as I had acted on her advice then and actually had children on roll!
I think this inspection cycle ends in July/August? So I'm guessing it will be before then! There is one new child-minder who will need a pre-reg so maybe they will try and coincide me with her?! This working full time thing might be a bit of a nightmare - as a teacher I won't be able to take a day off for this! If I am only currently offering holiday care would it be reasonable to expect them to come in the holidays - regardless of whether I have children on roll or not?
Must remember to renew my registration and insurance this week too!!

Simona
29-03-2016, 09:15 AM
That's really helpful - thank you :) - I phoned them straight away as their letter made it pretty clear that they were obligated to inspect and that would be why my registration would be cancelled if not inspected. They now also have my mobile number so can get hold of me if they need to (although I don't have it with me in lessons) but have had no missed calls!
I had a no children on roll on my last inspection and she postponed it for a month or so - it was literally 2 weeks between having children leave and new children start - and it was another 7-8 months before they got back round to me! They seem terribly short staffed round here and hence why it takes so long to get back round to it - but she said she had no control over coming back to see me as she has to wait for her 'list' to be allocated to her.
I couldn't see any guidance on inspection with no children on roll so I will definitely go back and look for that again! I asked my DO but she was next to useless and sent me her paperwork from her visit to me a few years ago which was not relevant to me as I had acted on her advice then and actually had children on roll!
I think this inspection cycle ends in July/August? So I'm guessing it will be before then! There is one new child-minder who will need a pre-reg so maybe they will try and coincide me with her?! This working full time thing might be a bit of a nightmare - as a teacher I won't be able to take a day off for this! If I am only currently offering holiday care would it be reasonable to expect them to come in the holidays - regardless of whether I have children on roll or not?
Must remember to renew my registration and insurance this week too!!

you are right about the current inspection cycle ending July 2016
I tried to look for the guidance on inspection with no children...but I could not find it...mind you the Ofsted website is absolutely terrible to navigate....maybe someone else will come to the rescue with the document reference number.

I hope everything gets resolved for you....you can always call Tribal or Prospects and tell them you may be difficult to call due to your job...worth a try maybe? it may diminish your worry.

Are you not happy teaching? or do you just miss childminding that much?

Mind you I am not sure teachers are over the moon at the moment being told their school will be forced into an academy...but that is another matter and teachers are already challenging this...good for them while EY battles with so many issues all the time.