PDA

View Full Version : term-time only?

Bluebell
27-03-2016, 05:42 PM
Does anyone do term-time only childminding? I'm thinking of ways to make childminding more workable for me and my children. I was thinking of charging a full day rate rather than half days or a few hours here and there. I think this will be ok and not reduce potential customers too much but I am also thinking of only offering childcare during term time. I have a teacher interested so she would be ok but I am concerned I might reduce potential customers and I don't want to make life difficult for them (i've been there I know what a nightmare childcare is in the holidays) but I feel like I've got to do whats right for me. Before I never seemed to have holidays and my own children never wanted to do what I was doing during the holidays and it felt like it was a battle and i felt like i was putting other children before my own.
Does anyone do this? do you find it works? any advice?

Kaybeaa
28-03-2016, 11:46 AM
Hi, I do term time and it's honestly the best decision I've ever made. I actually started doing it by accident in that a couple of my parents were teachers, and then for one reason or another the non teachers left, and I decided to stick with the term time contracts and only take term time in future. I'd say it can be a selling point as a lot of cm's don't like term time as obviously the pay is lower, but with a young family of my own, I've found it really important to be able to spend holidays with my own children and not have their free time dictated by my job. It works for me as I also work part time as a cleaner too, so my income isn't massively affected. I started out doing all hours under the sun until eventually I found it draining and found I wasn't enjoying it like I thought I would. Doing term time allows me to look forward to the holidays when I know it'll be just me and my family. If your finances add up, I'd say go for it. Many childminders I know say that they're jealous that they're not term time like I am. Of course it's not for everyone, but it certainly works for me. Good luck!

natlou82
28-03-2016, 12:51 PM
A few CMs round here do TTO and I would love to do it. ATM I just take a decent amount of holiday in the school hols but I still find it challenging. As for charging full days I would advise caution as I did that and now I'm back pedalling to change it as my clients like to get their money's worth which is fair enough, but long days are hard work but even more so when everyone maximises their hours and you have most children still with you at closing time. But as for the TTO if the finances add up go for it :-)

Bluebell
28-03-2016, 01:11 PM
Thank you - I think the full day will be tiring but even doing rates by the hour I had some to 5/5.30pm. before I had short days and half days and it was a real struggle juggling as well as financially. I leave the house at 7 at the moment and don't get back til 5 or 6 (that's if no meeting or training) so happy to do long day and I know what you mean about parents getting their moneys worth.
I've already thought I might be flexible at my discretion (although maybe that in itself is a bad move!) - one of my previous parents has a younger child and has hours that fits in with school hours and would want 4 days - I don't think it would be worth her while paying a full day rate and I'd be happy to offer her a discount! I'd happily sacrifice evenings when my own kids would be happy on computer or doing homework to enable to have holidays with them.

natlou82
29-03-2016, 05:57 AM
You really do have to do what's right for you. I'm in the process of tweaking my opening hours as I've been working 7am-6pm Mon-Fri and it has become too much! It's hard coming to decisions that you know won't suit everyone but it's our business and we have to think about our own needs too. Good luck :-)

Simona
29-03-2016, 08:30 AM
Thank you - I think the full day will be tiring but even doing rates by the hour I had some to 5/5.30pm. before I had short days and half days and it was a real struggle juggling as well as financially. I leave the house at 7 at the moment and don't get back til 5 or 6 (that's if no meeting or training) so happy to do long day and I know what you mean about parents getting their moneys worth.
I've already thought I might be flexible at my discretion (although maybe that in itself is a bad move!) - one of my previous parents has a younger child and has hours that fits in with school hours and would want 4 days - I don't think it would be worth her while paying a full day rate and I'd be happy to offer her a discount! I'd happily sacrifice evenings when my own kids would be happy on computer or doing homework to enable to have holidays with them.

Many CMs who do TTO care for teachers' children...who do need flexibility and a possible start at 7/7.30am so the teachers themselves can get to school at 8am

Do I understand you are working in a school at the moment?...you have a wonderful opportunity to gather ideas from the teachers there
I recently had a message from a teacher who said she could not find a cm who started as early as 7.15am...they are there of course...I was sad she was so unlucky.

The other thing to consider is 'flexibility' which allows cms to care for atypical hours and work with parents on Zero hours contracts.....that is the beauty of cms....and contracts can be devised to suit both parties very well so both parties come out of it satisfied of the service received and that offered.
Flexibility also allow providers to offer funded hours between 7am-7pm...I think the DfE guidance is still current

I am not sure why some would say that in TTO 'parents get their money's worth?...sorry not sure what is meant by this but I also think a cm gets to be off for the holidays...I would say that is worth it.

Nurseries will end up doing all sorts of hours ...but at a price and will claim a service that was always offered by cms.

Good luck with your decision to return to childminding....lots is new as you probably know by now :thumbsup:

natlou82
29-03-2016, 11:00 AM
Simona, you misread my comment. I meant when you offer a day rate rather than hourly, the parents do not always need the full day 7am - 6pm but will use it anyway as they have paid a day rate whereas if they pay an hourly rate they may just stick to the hours they actually need.

Simona
29-03-2016, 11:42 AM
Simona, you misread my comment. I meant when you offer a day rate rather than hourly, the parents do not always need the full day 7am - 6pm but will use it anyway as they have paid a day rate whereas if they pay an hourly rate they may just stick to the hours they actually need.

I understand your comment.
If parents do not need a full day care then it is simpler to apply an hourly rate?
The same applies to those who need after school care...some need a full sessions some do not...some need dinner for their kids some do not...so we can ageist the fee accordingly
It is totally up to each Cm to decide on an hourly rate or otherwise...that is what I would call flexibility...and each case takes account of sustainability