PDA

View Full Version : Setting up my home for Childminding... HELP

BeckyStephenie
25-03-2016, 02:32 PM
Hey, I'm setting up my home for childminding and wondered if you could help me with a couple of things.

- I have a living/dining room. My dining room chairs are solid wood. Is this a safety issue to Ofsted or would it be fine if I just risk assessed it for children only to use it for craft/drawing/eating?

- also in my garden I have AstroTurf and probably about a quarter of the garden has slate down. Again would I have to risk assess this and it be fine or would Ofsted prefer for me to remove it? I don't particularly like it... Just sounds costly lol!

- also I have a narrow hallway and a downstairs toilet. I wondered if it would be appropriate to put named coat hooks for coats and bags and baskets for shoes in the downstairs toilet? Thinking it may be a hygiene issue just didn't know where else to put them

- also what certificates do you need to put up by your door?

One more thing before I go. I have moved the other side of Town to my daughters school, and I don't drive... Yet! Thinking when I pass it's fine, but obviously won't be able to pick up school children from the school right next to me, and would only be able to do so from her school! Pain! Anyway do you think it would be an issue for a parent/Ofsted to have to pick her up everyday? Getting a bus and walking (obviously with a pushchaor) for about an hour and a half each day? Trying to find a childminder to pick her up from her school but there is none that do! So werid!

Sorry for ranting on. Look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Becky

moggy
25-03-2016, 03:30 PM
- I have a living/dining room. My dining room chairs are solid wood. Is this a safety issue to Ofsted or would it be fine if I just risk assessed it for children only to use it for craft/drawing/eating?
ALL OUR HOUSES CONTAIN NORMAL DOMESTIC FURNITURE, CHILDREN CAN USE ANY FURNITURE JUST LIKE YOUR OWN CHILD WOULD. YOU CAN USE THE CHAIRS FOR DEN MAKING, SITTING ON, CRAWLING UNDER... ANYTHING YOU FEEL IS SAFE!

- also in my garden I have AstroTurf and probably about a quarter of the garden has slate down. Again would I have to risk assess this and it be fine or would Ofsted prefer for me to remove it? I don't particularly like it... Just sounds costly lol!
WHAT IS YOUR CONCERN ABOUT THE SLATE? YOU WILL SUPERVISE THE CHILDREN TO PREVENT THEM EATING IT- YES? I HAVE GRAVEL, PATIO AND GRASS- IT IS NO PROBLEM. IF AN INSPECTOR EVER SAYS OTHERWISE YOU NEED TO MAKE A COMPLAINT AND DO NOT ACCEPT IT- THERE IS NO RULE IN EYFS ABOUT NOT HAVING SLATE/GRAVEL/STONES ETC.

- also I have a narrow hallway and a downstairs toilet. I wondered if it would be appropriate to put named coat hooks for coats and bags and baskets for shoes in the downstairs toilet? Thinking it may be a hygiene issue just didn't know where else to put them
SHOULD BE FINE BUT IF YOU ARE CARING FOR OLDER CHILDREN WHO WILL USE THE TOILET INDEPENDENTLY YOU WILL NEED TO THINK ABOUT WILL THEY MUCK ABOUT WITH THE BAGS? WHAT IF A PARENT LEFT SOMETHING UNSUITABLE IN A BAG (BOTTLE OF CALPOL?) AND A NOSEY CHILD GOT HOLD OF IT? IT DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN NOT DO IT, JUST THAT YOU NEED TO THINK THROUGH THE RISKS AND HOW YOU CAN MINIMIZE RISKS.

YOU NEED OFSTED CERTIFICATE ON DISPLAY, DOES NOT NEED TO BE BY YOUR DOOR. PLI INSURANCE IS GOOD TO HAVE ON DISPLAY TOO AND THE OFSTED POSTER ABOUT HOW TO CONTACT THEM- BUT THIS CAN BE 'ON DISPLAY' IN A FOLDER INSTEAD.

One more thing before I go. I have moved the other side of Town to my daughters school, and I don't drive... Yet! Thinking when I pass it's fine, but obviously won't be able to pick up school children from the school right next to me, and would only be able to do so from her school! Pain! Anyway do you think it would be an issue for a parent/Ofsted to have to pick her up everyday? Getting a bus and walking (obviously with a pushchaor) for about an hour and a half each day? Trying to find a childminder to pick her up from her school but there is none that do! So werid!
ALL DEPENDS ON THE FAMILIES YOU GET- I WOULD NOT BE TOO HAPPY ABOUT SO LONG ON THE SCHOOL RUN STRAPPED IN A BUGGY, AND ARE THE BUSES RELIABLE? IS THE BUS SUITABLE FOR A DOUBLE BUGGY + TODDLER ON REINS ETC- IS THERE USUALLY SPACE? IS THERE A NICE PARK/WOODS ON ROUTE THAT YOU COULD BUILD INTO THE SCHOOL RUN TO MAKE IT PART OF YOUR DAY AND PART OF YOUR PHYSICAL/OUTDOORS TIME? IS IT A SAFE ROUTE FOR CHILDREN TO BE WALKING AS WELL AS IN BUGGY?

Maza
25-03-2016, 03:43 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of childminding!

Solid wood chairs - why would they be a problem? I'm sure they are fine and you are over thinking things.

Slate in the garden - what do you think the concern might be there exactly?

School run - haha, that sounds identical to mine. You would need to make it clear to potential parents that is what you do. Mine were fine (only affected one child). He wasn't in the pushchair for the whole time - once we got off the bus we had to walk across a big green open space and so he used to get out and toddle. Often we would take a ball/bubbles and they would have a play on there on the way back, before we go the bus home. My mindee used to get driven everywhere at home and so going on a bus was a big adventure for him. You need to think about how you 'sell' the school run - I can honestly say it added a lot of learning opportunities and fun to our day. Ofsted have no issues with school runs, so don't worry about them. I got a lot of enquiries for local school pick ups but I had to accept that I couldn't offer that service any more (was fine before DD started school).

Coat hooks - I would wait and see how many children you get before you put up hooks. I only put up two hooks at child height in my hallway. They don't put their bags on there and in Summer there are no coats or very light ones, which don't take up much space. I do have a box for each child to put other belongings in and these are put on a low bay window sill - obviously you can't have them cluttering up you emergency exits, so you are right in thinking that perhaps you shouldn't store them in your narrow hallway. I have a shoe cupboard which keeps shoes out of the way. Storing it in the loo might be an issue for some people. Have a little think if there are other ways around the issue. My hooks do have names on them - but they are hole punched laminated name tags which I hang on the peg and swap on the days when I have different children - nothing permanent - no surplus hooks!

Good luck. x

FloraDora
25-03-2016, 03:54 PM
Setting up, exciting time.
My view on a couple of your bullet points:
As long as you RA everything you are fine.

Wooden chairs - not an issue - my children size chairs in writing area are all wooden too. We live in a house of wooden furniture. Ofsted never commented.

Think carefully about permanent cloakroom pegs etc....that look like you are nursery, remember your hall is also your home, believe me you will want to put Childminding out of your head at weekends and holidays and won't want to be sitting on the loo on a Saturday night reading children's names! Neither will your friends really.

You need named pegs in nursery and reception because there are so many children, but not in your home with a few. If you do desperately want to name them as another place they see their name and the cloakroom is not in a play room but in one of your family areas then perhaps you could hang names over the peg then they can be whipped off when you are returning to family home mode.
I personally wouldn't want my coat hanging up in a toilet, but that's personal preference, I know people who do. Smells linger on fabric. Have you a utility?

I have a loose slate area in my garden and you do need to RA it for LO's but mine love it. They collect and fill containers, I draw pictures / letters/numbers/ words on some and we look for them, they build cairns, look at the colours and shapes, draw with the edges on the slabs, pour water and watch it disappear - I always place my water wall on it as the water drains better. Its next to my garden room/shed which is where I have mounted outdoor music type things. So they go across it lots to play these. It's quite good for the children to get used to different surfaces to walk on. But it is only an area, there are other hard surfaces and lawn for wheeled items, even our wheelbarrow doesn't run smoothly on it - but that in itself is a learning experience!

Again, I do not want things permanently hanging in my hall. You need to have your ofsted certificate and an ofsted parent poster - mine are on a painted wooden skirt hanger and hangs on a peg and gets taken down on Friday afternoon or midweek when I know I am having personal visitors. My outlook for everything is temporary as I know a big stress topic is your home not being your own after a few years.

Not sure what to say about the one and a half hour journey. I do not do school runs as it is so restricting to my time, but I know this is how extra cash is generated. I can only think how I would feel as a parent of say a 3 year old having to do this journey twice a day....that it's a lot of time to be spent walking and getting on and off buses, waiting in the rain and snow etc at bus stops. On the plus side walking is good for them and the experience of public transport is exciting for LO's with a lot of educational opportunities. Ofsted would want to see you interacting in some way and it not be dead time. It's more what parents might feel, walking to the local school together or a quick 10 minute drive is different to your trek. But then in big cities this is second nature. You would need I think to have a unique selling point for the rest of the time the children are with you for me to consider you....or be the only childminder available to me.
It could be though that you could fill your in between school run times.
I know of other childminders in this forum that could better advise on doing long school runs on public transport.

The fact that you have already thought about your issues means you are one step nearer though, good luck with your preparations.

Maza
25-03-2016, 04:17 PM
Just to be clear - is your school run an hour and a half in total - or an hour and a half there and an hour and a half back? Mine was an hour and a half in total (with meandering along the green - quicker if I was by myself). I only had to do it at collection time as my mindees didn't arrive until gone 9 in the morning when I was back from the school run.

I have never hung up/put up any certificates. It says they must be 'displayed' - so I interpret that in a way that suits me. I have a table right near my door where the register is kept. Also on the table is a file open on the page where my certificate and Ofsted poster is stored. It is in full view for the parents every day and gets put in my cupboard each night with my register. Two of my Ofsted inspectors have been totally fine with this.

Maza
25-03-2016, 04:48 PM
Sorry, it's me again. School run - the bus does get very busy at school collection time and so I have to say that I would only want to do it with one mindee plus my daughter. I structured my business around this ground rule. It might be different in your area of course. It suited me just fine because my other mindees went home before I had to set off for the school run. I absolutely would not want to do it with a double buggy. In our area if there are two pushchairs already on the bus (or a wheelchair) then you cannot get on, and so you do have to set off a little bit earlier to take that into account.

Again, wait to see what mindees you get. You might get mindees who leave at 2 or 3 o'clock, or if they finish at 4 maybe your daughter could do an extra-curricular club one night at school. You might not get full time mindees and so the parents won't see it as such a big thing if they are only doing the school run two or three times a week.

Don't be disheartened. Start thinking about all the different learning opportunities that your school run can offer. Although I live in a big city I do live in a green, leafy, wooded area and so it is very easy to incorporate nature/duck feeding/tree climbing/conker collecting etc into the school run. I have got many beautiful photos and very happy memories of the school run and a good number of observations for the learning journey. Honestly, if ever my DH was at home my mindee would keep asking who would be collecting my DD that day and he would sulk if I said DH. No word of a lie. x

BallyH
25-03-2016, 07:27 PM
Hey, I'm setting up my home for childminding and wondered if you could help me with a couple of things.

Sorry for ranting on. Look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Becky
Great advice given. I've found that if I was concerned about any aspects of my childminding environment and I thought an inspector would 'pick' it I have just written about it in a risk assessment saying if I thought there may be a risk, what level of risk it may be ie low or high and how I will prevent the risk happening.

Plus I also have artificial grass surrounded by pea sized gravel. I risk assessed it and also mentioned the benefits of having it also ie sensory, physical development, maths, creative etc.

I also have a fire evacuation plan on display for parents.

BeckyStephenie
25-03-2016, 08:54 PM
Hi thank you so much for your replies, very helpful ideas and made me realise I maybe overthinking things a little lol. Ofsted just scare me. Erm... Re: school run, my daughter already has a lift to school in the mornings, it would only be the afternoons on 3/4 days. I do see it as an issue as I've put it off so much. The buses are nearly always reliable and are never busy, though incorporating something into it isn't really an option. The bus there takes me pretty much to her school, though the bus back doesn't. We have to walk by a road.. Though with a grass bit inbetween. There is however a duck pond as we get off the bus on the way back, but that isn't really on the way, and the school run is already over. Though I suppose the only thing I could cover is understanding of the world, by taking a bus, counting money and giving it to the driver? I'm quite worried about this. I also have a good day 18 month old to take. My double buggy is a Phil and teds and buses round me are never a problem to get on regarding space. If I drove it would take me 10 minutes each way.. So I better get cracking and pass my test. Do you think it would be better to wait a few months until I pass? And then do that? My daughters school doesn't offer any after school clubs until year two (she's in reception) and I've tried to find a childminder so my brother could pick her up after work, but again.. There is only one childminder that picks up from that school and she's completely full. In such a muddle with it all

BeckyStephenie
25-03-2016, 08:56 PM
Also regarding coat hooks.. I don't really have anywhere else to store them apart from my front room. I have a downstairs little cupboard I could use though that stores my Hoover in. I suppose I could have a move around and keep baskets shoes and bags there. Though I'm aware the children won't be able to have access to their belongings in the baskets? So confusing living in a small house lol

moggy
25-03-2016, 09:03 PM
Also regarding coat hooks.. I don't really have anywhere else to store them apart from my front room. I have a downstairs little cupboard I could use though that stores my Hoover in. I suppose I could have a move around and keep baskets shoes and bags there. Though I'm aware the children won't be able to have access to their belongings in the baskets? So confusing living in a small house lol

Where do you keep your own family's coats? I just have a second rack under the family one (lower down the wall). Children do not have free access to it as it is in the porch. When we need coats I get them, older ones can get theirs down if they are tall enough to reach! They have a small bag each they bring each day, but if you store nappies and spare clothes at the house all the time they won't need to bring much each day and might not need a bag at all. You are not having schoolies with school bags are you? So you are talking about the little 'uns?

BeckyStephenie
25-03-2016, 09:06 PM
Where do you keep your own family's coats? I just have a second rack under the family one (lower down the wall). Children do not have free access to it as it is in the porch. When we need coats I get them, older ones can get theirs down if they are tall enough to reach! They have a small bag each they bring each day, but if you store nappies and spare clothes at the house all the time they won't need to bring much each day and might not need a bag at all. You are not having schoolies with school bags are you? So you are talking about the little 'uns? Oh that's good to know. I was under the assumption they needed to have access to them. I will have to have a think. We usually just hang outs on the banister and I keep my little ones in the pushchair loo

BeckyStephenie
25-03-2016, 09:14 PM
Sorry, it's me again. School run - the bus does get very busy at school collection time and so I have to say that I would only want to do it with one mindee plus my daughter. I structured my business around this ground rule. It might be different in your area of course. It suited me just fine because my other mindees went home before I had to set off for the school run. I absolutely would not want to do it with a double buggy. In our area if there are two pushchairs already on the bus (or a wheelchair) then you cannot get on, and so you do have to set off a little bit earlier to take that into account. Again, wait to see what mindees you get. You might get mindees who leave at 2 or 3 o'clock, or if they finish at 4 maybe your daughter could do an extra-curricular club one night at school. You might not get full time mindees and so the parents won't see it as such a big thing if they are only doing the school run two or three times a week. Don't be disheartened. Start thinking about all the different learning opportunities that your school run can offer. Although I live in a big city I do live in a green, leafy, wooded area and so it is very easy to incorporate nature/duck feeding/tree climbing/conker collecting etc into the school run. I have got many beautiful photos and very happy memories of the school run and a good number of observations for the learning journey. Honestly, if ever my DH was at home my mindee would keep asking who would be collecting my DD that day and he would sulk if I said DH. No word of a lie. x
Hi thank you so much for your reply ..school run, my daughter already has a lift to school in the mornings, it would only be the afternoons on 3/4 days. I do see it as an issue as I've put it off so much. The buses are nearly always reliable and are never busy, though incorporating something into it isn't really an option. The bus there takes me pretty much to her school, though the bus back doesn't. We have to walk by a road.. Though with a grass bit inbetween. There is however a duck pond as we get off the bus on the way back, but that isn't really on the way, and the school run is already over. Though I suppose the only thing I could cover is understanding of the world, by taking a bus, counting money and giving it to the driver? I'm quite worried about this. I also have a good day 18 month old to take. My double buggy is a Phil and teds and buses round me are never a problem to get on regarding space. If I drove it would take me 10 minutes each way.. So I better get cracking and pass my test. Do you think it would be better to wait a few months until I pass? And then do that? My daughters school doesn't offer any after school clubs until year two (she's in reception) and I've tried to find a childminder so my brother could pick her up after work, but again.. There is only one childminder that picks up from that school and she's completely full. In such a muddle with it all

moggy
25-03-2016, 09:25 PM
Oh that's good to know. I was under the assumption they needed to have access to them. I will have to have a think. We usually just hang outs on the banister and I keep my little ones in the pushchair loo

No, they do not need access to their bags- quite the opposite in many cases! You never know what a parent has left in their bag (they use them at weekends etc) and there maybe paperwork or other things to go to/from home which you do not want children touching. And coats they only need when you are going out so you can pass the coat to the child then.

Maza
25-03-2016, 09:25 PM
Oh don't feel like you are in a muddle! Each setting has its own obstacles and logistical challenges. Is the 18 month old your own child? If they can't get out and walk part of the way then you need to make sure they are getting lots of physical exercise throughout the rest of the day. Could they have a five minute run around in the school playground just to stretch their legs and break up the journey? Or is there a little playground or anything fairly near the school so that you could visit if you set off earlier. Bearing in mind that many children nap in the afternoon, so you might not be able to set off too early.

Don't put it off until you can drive - put the feelers out there and see what mindees you get. As I said, you might not get any wanting whole days.

BeckyStephenie
25-03-2016, 09:37 PM
Oh don't feel like you are in a muddle! Each setting has its own obstacles and logistical challenges. Is the 18 month old your own child? If they can't get out and walk part of the way then you need to make sure they are getting lots of physical exercise throughout the rest of the day. Could they have a five minute run around in the school playground just to stretch their legs and break up the journey? Or is there a little playground or anything fairly near the school so that you could visit if you set off earlier. Bearing in mind that many children nap in the afternoon, so you might not be able to set off too early. Don't put it off until you can drive - put the feelers out there and see what mindees you get. As I said, you might not get any wanting whole days. unfortunately there isn't and there's only one bus a day that takes us to her school so I get there just as they are coming out. Rather annoying. Yes the 18 month old is my own. She hates the pushchair and deals with the journey well.. If I let her play a lot.. Especially in the garden and park before I go. I just don't want parents being put off.. Though I may get onene child from my daughters school as a kinder as there is no after school care offered.. Whatsoever! Ridiculous