PDA

View Full Version : Planning Permission - For Childminding

Pedagog
08-08-2008, 08:28 AM
I had a visit from the Childminding Development Officer/Network Coordinator and she said I needed to contact the planning office for information on the likelihood of planning permission to child-mind being needed.

So I phoned them up and didn't really get an answer, other than write to us. I also emailed them, sending them a copy of the following government guidance Here (http://www.surestart.gov.uk/_doc/P0001447.doc). Then today I received this reply.

In order for a formal determination over the need for planning permission a certificate of lawful proposed use (CLOPUD) will be required. This will include an officer making a careful assessment of the details provided as well as a site visit in order to determine the need for permission, if the officer feels that a material change of use has not occurred then certificate of lawful use will be issued, which in affect gives you immunity from planning enforcement action.

In order to apply for a CLOPUD you will need to provide the following details;

3 copies of the application form (attached)
3 copies of a location plan at scale 1:1250 with a red line around your site boundary. These plans can be purchased through the Map Bank Tel: 01924 306651
3 copies of floor plans scale 1:100
3 copies of supporting information, which should describe the nature of the business including expected hours of operation, number of visitors, number of vehicles to visit the house on a daily basis.
The fee for this type of application is 167.50

I trust this is of assistance to you, however should have any queries please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards

Technical Officer

Business Team

Planning Services

So now it looks like it will be a long drawn out planning issue.

Has anybody else had planning issues or problems?

sarah707
08-08-2008, 09:42 AM
In my area (and I think this is the same for most areas through England) you only need planning permission if you want to mind more than the normal amount of children on your certificate...

So for example if you were working with a partner and wanting to mind 8 children.

I do not know any childminders looking after a max of 6 children who have planning permission...

I am concerned you are going to be spending a lot of unnecessary money doing this... I would recommend caution before continuing and maybe check your position again.

Trouble is, if you ask Ofsted they will tell you it's not within their remit.

Hopefully someone else has bright ideas :D

Pedagog
08-08-2008, 10:09 AM
Well that's how i understood it, but the two ladies from the local family services were adamant that I needed to enquire which I did and this was the reponse I got.
Just forwarded the email to the the Development network coordinator, will await her response.
Not impressed though as having read the government guidance they are supposed to be supporting new child care settings, especially childminders.

mayberry
08-08-2008, 10:17 AM
Hi I come from Worcestershire area, I come under Wyre-forest council, in my area Childminders that wish to look after more then 6 Children in there home need to go down this route, this includes Childminders own children and over eights.

Dawn XX

ruby
08-08-2008, 12:11 PM
we are registered to look after 7 under 8

but we were told at our last inspection that we were luck that we were already registered for 7 as otherwise we would have to apply for planning premission

cathy

Pedagog
08-08-2008, 12:14 PM
Not happy about it,