View Full Version : Decision to no longer provide food?

21-03-2016, 11:48 AM
I've had an email this morning to say that I'll have an unannounced visit soon from enviromental health to inspect my food preparation and food hygiene methods. Plus giving me more paperwork to compete else its an automatic fail. For me this is a step too far, I have a valid food hygiene certificate, no one has ever had food poisoning in 8years of minding so I've now decided that I will no longer supply or reheat food. Am I right in thinking that as long as I just store parent provided cold food in accordance with food safety regulations I do not need to be registered as a food business? Plus any advice on telling parents would be appreciated x

21-03-2016, 12:07 PM
I think, if you even store childrens food, you need to be registered.

I'm sorry. it sounds very heavy handed of your LA. Do you have anyone you can talk to?

21-03-2016, 12:51 PM
I think, if you even store childrens food, you need to be registered.

I'm sorry. it sounds very heavy handed of your LA. Do you have anyone you can talk to?
Thanks I've just found this on the attachment to their email so it looks like storage of packed lunch is OK without being registered.I'm really annoyed by what they are doing and that they will inspect without notice. I can see now if I haven't washed the breakfast dishes before school and the cat enters the kitchen they'll find a reason to fail me, so to cut out the stress I just won't do food, which is a shame for children and inconvenient for parents

If no (you don’t usually do either of these things) and you
just do the following, you do not have to use this pack:
• keep packed lunches in your fridge that are brought by
• provide plates and cutlery for the children to use to eat
their own packed lunches
• only provide food occasionally, e.g. a birthday cake for
one of the children, or if a parent/carer has been delayed
in picking up a child
If you are not sure whether to use this pack, contact the

21-03-2016, 01:41 PM
I would check with your local department.

I know at one time ours said you didn't need to register if you just stored lunch boxes and handed them over to the children to deal with themselves. If you so much as opened a packet or put a sandwich on a plate you had to register.

21-03-2016, 02:19 PM
I agree, check with them as I was also told if you handle the food, cut up food, help with them eating etc you need to be registered. Do you only have older children? or little ones?
I'd get some local advise as this should not be a big issue or cause of stress- can you speak to local CMers, EY team or the Env Health themselves?
I would question the paperwork- is it relevant to a CMer? Have you used Safer Food Better Business for CMers? They might be lumping you together with nursery/school kitchen inspections and going over the top?

21-03-2016, 02:37 PM
Hi, dont panic, I had this happen to me, I received an email saying I would get an unanouced visit, and that I needed to comply with the document they attached! It turned out they had sent me the email they send food premises such as schools/cafes. I called them they apologised and said dont worry, we are going to inspect you, not unanounced as I am a childminder, and the document I needed to read through was safer food better business.
I was so worried about the inspection, although profesional the lady was lovly, full of advice, and ran through the document, checked lots of things, and my knowledge, she was with me for about 2 hours. A few weeks later I received a fantastic scores on the doors sticker with a 5 star rating.

Please dont panic, it will be fine.


Helly Belly
21-03-2016, 02:46 PM
I had a phone call 2 years ago saying they wanted to visit I said come now and a lady came round straight away , all food sent by parents and I put ice pack in , the lady was here 6 minutes,