PDA

View Full Version : poor fitting shoes, injury to head, parents still using them, what shall i do?

emmas
21-03-2016, 09:23 AM
Hi all,

Some of you probably read my post on Friday about mindee falling and cutting her head, after her shoe fell off. This resulted in a trip to minor injuries, some glue and dressing.
Earlier in the week I did another 2 year review (mindee almost 3, and I have one from her first minder) just so I could higlight the issues with mindees stability when walking. I told them that I think she should see health visitor as she is in-toeing quite badly. Her shoes are ill fitting off the shelf things, and I sujested perhaps a nice fitted pair will help support her, and reduce the risks of falling. (She trips constantly as she clips her toes the shoes come off and she falls).

So when accident happened on Friday I told mum that the shoes (both pairs she had) do not fit hence accident. Low and behold mindee turns up this morning in a pair of these shoes!:censored:

What shall I do, they just dont seem to have taken my advice on board, we walk back and forwards to school 3 times a day, 8 minutes each way. So a lot of walking, thats without the other physical activities we do. Should my next approach be to write somthing up highlighting the risk of these shoes, and get parents to sign it?

How would you handle this, I am at my wits end, I could put her in a buggy, but my 2 and 3 year old will go mad as they will want one too, and thats not the correct solution she needs the physical activity.

Thanks Emma

FloraDora
21-03-2016, 10:14 AM
It may be too late to try this but all children here wear wellies mainly when we are out. Wellington boots are not the best to walk in either but they do offer feet protection. I don't do school runs and when I go out and about it is largely to the nature reserve and field so wellies are very justified. Puddle jumping is a favourite activity which I am sure yours love to do to on the way to school.
In our garden we wear wellies or bare feet really as we do a lot of gardening and water play - but wellingtons mainly and bare feet on really hot days.
They do also have pumps which we usually wear to the playground so that climbing frame activities are accessible - but mine like me to take the pumps as they love their wellies so much and we usually go via the nature reserve. The pumps are good for garden and field sports activities too but they often just run in bare feet ( all RA'd), which I like too as well!

Parents provide wellingtons and pumps when they start and I inform them when they need the next size up. They accept that this is part of my setting - I provide puddle suits, though parents sometimes provide these too as they see their children playing in them in the photos.

If we get a wet April you might be able to justify wellingtons??

I would plough through making sure that you are giving opportunities for next steps in PD, which I assume is around supporting with activities to enable the trips to become less. RA for her trips and slips. Then review it in 4 weeks - giving you the opportunity to raise your observations ( take photos or videos as part of your observations) with parents again.

I find parents sometimes don't see our concerns as their children don't take part in such physical activity at home and so they aren't tripping as much.

hectors house
21-03-2016, 02:21 PM
I really hate "fashion" shoes on toddlers as they often make them walk so flat footed - I also think that parents who put their children in sandals that rub blisters on their toes & heels should be charged with under safeguarding laws of causing actual physical injury!

One of my current parents said she bought a shoe measuring guide on e-bay and then buys the right size shoe in Asda - but they don't do width fittings and often with my own children while having feet measured in Clarks I would be told that "these are the right size and width for your child, but the style just doesn't suit the shape of their feet due to a high instep and for that reason we won't sell them to you".

Mouse
21-03-2016, 02:57 PM
Not all parents want to, or can afford to, shop at Clarks, so I don't think you can insist on professionally fitted shoes, but they can get better fitting shoes by taking more time to check the fit rather than just buying a pair going by the size on it.

I would be very honest and say you cannot carry on caring for their child when her shoes are causing so much trouble. I would say that they are obviously free to put her in whatever shoes they want when she is at home, but they are going to have to provide something more suitable for her to wear at your house as it is preventing her from playing properly or walking as far as you do. Don't be critical of their choice, but explain how the shoes aren't suitable for your setting and you can't accept her unless she has shoes that are more practical.

If all else fails and you really don't want to fall out with the parents, buy a pair of pumps to keep at your house.

blue bear
21-03-2016, 04:44 PM
"Just thought I'd check when you will be able to get her some better fitting shoes, I'm so nervous she will topple again after the accident"
"Would it be easier if you gave me the money and I take her to tesco or wherever and get her a pair" a pair of lace up plimsolls , daps or whatever you might call them would be better than what she has and won't be too expensive.

emmas
21-03-2016, 08:10 PM
Thanks for all your advice folks. I have decided after thinking about it for a couple of months to terminate the contract. I am going to give minding a break for a while, we can get by on one wage, it just gave us a nice sum of disposable income while I worked.
With a 6, 4 and 2 year old of my own its becomming too much, 8-6.30 5 days a week, and I am at the point where I dread every week day, and thats not good for anybody.
I told parents tonight, and its like a weight has been lifted.
I will have a break from it and review my situation in September when my 4 year old goes up into foundation year.

Emma