PDA

View Full Version : artificial grass

It's a small world
21-03-2016, 07:58 AM
Hello everyone I'm after a bit of advice. My garden is always boggy and horrible making it hard to let children go out. So hubby and I've been chatting and we are going to look into artificial grass. However I want the type that looks and feels real. Any advice? Back garden isn't huge x thank you x

crumpet54
21-03-2016, 08:01 AM
I think you can get free samples so you see what type you want, I've seen some that look very real but then some that look like a carpet!
My cm friend has had it and It does seem good, i wish I had the money to have it!

loocyloo
21-03-2016, 08:08 AM
I emailed a company who do artificial grass and they sent me a full range of samples ... The cheapest was like the stuff they use at greengrocers etc! But some of the others were very real looking.
We decided against as although our garden is pretty much moss and damp, dh likes mowing it!

FloraDora
21-03-2016, 11:43 AM
I hate artificial grass, they are like artificial flowers to me, and wooden floors where you slip and slide and bump, but I realise that it is the future - my advice would be....

Wear wellies - my lawn can be boggy in places but it always recovers by the summer. The squashy under feet feeling is quite sensory. Theses areas are good for dinosaur land and troll bogs. Just adapt the type of outdoor play. Bogginess I see as part of the natural world. Embrace it.....have a bog garden area - great for minibeast hunts and the animal world.

Reduce your lawn area and have other surfaces too so all year play can happen but you still have the naturalness of grass. You can put lots of pots/ vegetable beds in the other areas which gives you gardening activities to do all year round?

FussyElmo
21-03-2016, 11:46 AM
Hello everyone I'm after a bit of advice. My garden is always boggy and horrible making it hard to let children go out. So hubby and I've been chatting and we are going to look into artificial grass. However I want the type that looks and feels real. Any advice? Back garden isn't huge x thank you x

I would love artifical grass just for my footballers. I don't have a garden at the minute but more like a cesspit.
It will be our job come the easter holidays to sort out and reassess the whole area.

BallyH
21-03-2016, 12:08 PM
I have artificial grass and it is fabulous. It suits my home as we have a newish built house. My garden isn't huge but it can be expensive. Ours came with a 15 year guarantee. We got a lot of examples and choose one with 4 colours in it. 2 greens and 2 browns. I feels very sensory when walking bare footed. It has a lot of drainage holes in it and only once in approximately 4/5 years of having it have we seen a puddle which happened after a flash flood.

If you have a boggy garden now please explain this to the supplier. It comes rolled up like a carpet so I would look into the bottom not rotting if your land is always wet. My supplier spent ages preparing the ground before laying it. It has a lot of sand as a base and sand in it to keep it 'up'. But it will flatten with a lot of use which you can brush back again which can be hard work.

I really like it. You can get 'tough play grass' but I remember my son at a friends house about 8 years go and came home with scratches all down his leg as he was the goalkeeper. But I'm pretty sure they've improved since. You can get 'pet' grass, plus some with 'weeds' in it.

There are a lot of suppliers now. Ask to see examples of their work.

We are very happy we got it. If I had a lot of land. we couldn't have afforded it plus I think a big garden always looks great but because our back garden is little and it is north facing it always had clumps of grass missing and mud patches and it never looked neat, plus the grass refused to grow back under the trees. This makes my garden look tidy. A bit like a bedroom can look tidy once the bed is made - well maybe not all bedrooms!

julie w
26-03-2016, 11:35 PM
As much as id love a huge garden with a lawn I only have a very small concreted back yard. When wet it looked so depressing. I had artificial grass glued on top of the concrete {really couldn't dig it up} and its totally changed the look of the yard. We have a dog and regularly jet wash the grass putting jeyes fluid in the shampoo/spray container. I even vacuum it on a dry sunny day.

Bluebell
27-03-2016, 09:13 AM
As much as id love a huge garden with a lawn I only have a very small concreted back yard. When wet it looked so depressing. I had artificial grass glued on top of the concrete {really couldn't dig it up} and its totally changed the look of the yard. We have a dog and regularly jet wash the grass putting jeyes fluid in the shampoo/spray container. I even vacuum it on a dry sunny day.

wow i love this idea - i too have a small concrete garden - which is ideal for rideon cars, sand pits etc but sooo boring and unatural - and yes looks awful in the rain! what kind of artificial grass did you use and can the kids still use ride-ons on it or is it a bit too tricky?