PDA

View Full Version : Easter holiday help - how to entertain seven 2-10 year olds all day!

MrsP2C
19-03-2016, 02:29 PM
I've got seven children in Easter holidays (2 year old, two 3 year olds, a 5, 6 & 7 year old plus my 10 year old - all boys!!!) and whilst I'm used to having them for a few hours after school, I've never had them all full days and slightly terrified it will end up in chaos/fighting if I don't plan ahead properly. Those of you that have lots of different age children in the holidays, how does a typical day look for you and can you share any craft/activity ideas to do at home?

We can walk to the local park but I can't fit them all in my car so sadly no other trips out possible. I'd like one organised craft & one organised game/activity for each of the 5 days I've got them all but I'm struggling as I can't think what they'd all enjoy together that takes more than 5 minutes!

Morning Crafts:
Possibly decoupage if I can find some cheap bits to cover
Some sort of painting activity
?

Afternoon Activity:
Lego
Film with popcorn
Board games (battleships, chess, Ludo for older ones then snap, dominoes, hungry hippos for little ones)
?

Any ideas? I don't mind spending a bit on some resources as I need to replenish my craft supplies anyway plus will be earning enough to justify some expense but obviously don't want to go too overboard!

Maza
19-03-2016, 02:56 PM
It's a shame you can't get out and about as there are usually some decent freebies on at libraries, National Trust places, big book stores etc. I'm not very experienced with boys that age, so off the top of my head -

Making paper aeroplanes
Making pizzas
Making dens
board games/card games (search for board games on here and a few threads come up)
Clay
Science experiments
Rocket balloons
Making simple animations (seems to be all the rage here)

I think I would be looking to exhaust them all with physical activity and then let them chill out with a movie/mini series most days - they are on holiday and need downtime. Your youngest two probably wouldn't watch a whole movie.

Do you have a garden? How about getting them to help digging/weeding/planting/nurturing?

I hope the weather is kind to you. x

blue bear
19-03-2016, 02:57 PM
We tend to get out in the morning things like, feeding the ducks, park, pop to tesco to buy ingredients for cooking in the afternoon or packets and popcorn to pop then watch a film that sort of thing.

Activities, rice crispy cakes with mini eggs in (or alternative for younger ones) make gingerbread in egg shapes and decorate, make cakes, mine like making crumbles (read gruffalo, then shop then make)

A Easter egg hunt, make maps , melt chocolate into Easter egg mould to make own eggs and wrap in tin foil first.

Colouring in sheets.

Junk modelling always go down well,lots of masking tape, glue, pipe cleaners, split pins, Googly eyes to make it more interesting.

Mud is a must with boys, a couple of pits of herbs to chop up and add to the mix, a few wooden spoons, plastic knives, plastic plates, jugs, Empty perfume bottles or sample pots, pans etc ad see what they come up with, keeps mine busy for ages.
Pizza making, Hackett potatoes with various veg, get them to make eyes etc.

bunyip
19-03-2016, 03:02 PM
:huh: Valerian root and Tiny Pop? :huh:

Maza
19-03-2016, 03:03 PM
My 7 year old (girl) is really into word searches, crossword puzzles, spot the difference - all kinds of puzzles. I just google them and there are loads of good ones to print out. You might want to build up a stash!

Do you have a toy library? Could you borrow some new construction from them? Whenever I buy new construction I save it for a holiday. I always like to have a few 'never seen before' items! x

FloraDora
19-03-2016, 09:55 PM
Possible this time of year garden activities:

Create a fairy garden or dinosaur world in garden trays with compost a plant, rocks, stones etc...then play...
Plant early beans
Just play with loose materials and you sit back - the older ones will lead the LO's.

Mow the lawn together
Make a bird box
Clean everything! Warm soapy water and garden brushes to help.

Take photos of your garden ( some just aspects) then have a find game.

Hide and then find....anything.

Violas, pans eyes, primroses are all available now, buy and plant in containers.

Dry days big outdoor painting.

Feed the birds

All easily accessible for little and older ones.

Simona
20-03-2016, 08:52 AM
I've got seven children in Easter holidays (2 year old, two 3 year olds, a 5, 6 & 7 year old plus my 10 year old - all boys!!!) and whilst I'm used to having them for a few hours after school, I've never had them all full days and slightly terrified it will end up in chaos/fighting if I don't plan ahead properly. Those of you that have lots of different age children in the holidays, how does a typical day look for you and can you share any craft/activity ideas to do at home?

We can walk to the local park but I can't fit them all in my car so sadly no other trips out possible. I'd like one organised craft & one organised game/activity for each of the 5 days I've got them all but I'm struggling as I can't think what they'd all enjoy together that takes more than 5 minutes!

Morning Crafts:
Possibly decoupage if I can find some cheap bits to cover
Some sort of painting activity
?

Afternoon Activity:
Lego
Film with popcorn
Board games (battleships, chess, Ludo for older ones then snap, dominoes, hungry hippos for little ones)
?

Any ideas? I don't mind spending a bit on some resources as I need to replenish my craft supplies anyway plus will be earning enough to justify some expense but obviously don't want to go too overboard!

As you know these boys already why don't you ask them what they want to 'plan' for their holiday time with you?...what outings would they like to do? ...do they have any special games they like to bring to you and plan an activity with all the other children in your setting?

I am sure they will want to chill in front of the TV...so ask what are the programmes they want to watch...if not suitable for the little ones you could give them a special 'time off' to watch in another room?

Sports and running around is going to be popular for that age...could you get together with another Cm and venture out for a special treat?
could you plan a picnic and take footballs with you
Although they are 10 they will get involved in play if given the responsibility to be 'in charge'....then just stand back and watch!

I used to absolutely love the school holidays with children's ages ranging from babies to well over 10 year olds...it was my favourite time.

The only thing I did get ready for was 'Food' as they ate non-stop....but even that was discussed and planned with them and they would ask for their favourite food to be cooked and shared by all.

have fun!!

hulahoops
20-03-2016, 09:46 AM
Def junk modelling - you'll be amazed what they create.
Does your park have a stream? You could get them to make boats then have a boat race.
A water fight always goes down well if you can bear it. You can get squirter things from the pound shop, use sponges and empty bottles.
Make a bowling game. Get them to paint empty bottles of pop (asda sell cheap lemonade about 22p a bottle) and they can be used as skittles, then they could play with them.
Air hardening clay is a good one too, my boys love it or if you don't want to spend the money then use salt dough.
If you bake with them they could ice the cakes with ready roll icing - mine enjoyed shaping it into squares to make minecraft decorations.
Freeze a load of lego bricks in a big block, they can get them out by chipping away and then build something.
Hide all your toy animals and pretend they have escaped, the children need to find them (count how many you hide so you know how many to find )
Gef them to make their own lunch - sandwiches, pizzas, wraps, jacket potatoes then let them clean up too.
Would you venture out on a bus/train? A lot if kids don't use public transport and really enjoy it.
Make a map and track your way to the local park.
Ho on the website woodlands Trust nature detectives for some activity ideas.
Make a scarecrow.

Good luck

singingcactus
20-03-2016, 03:02 PM
I am currently in the process of printing off a bunch of very basic easter colouring pages (I usually just draw them but my pen has run out and I forgot to get a ew one yesterday....which was the whole purpose of that shopping trip ...grrrr). I plan to laminate them. Then tomorrow the little ones are going to make some different coloured playdoughs, this is their cooking activity tomorrow cos they all have gross snotty colds so don't want them anywhere near actual food. Then the next day they will colour in the laminated pictures with the playdough they've made.

With yours, you could have the bigger kids search online for appropriate pictures (google words like colouring page easter free), then get them to print them, trim them and laminate them. Or have them draw the pictures in black ink, and trim and laminate. It's a simple, fun mid length project (potentially 3 days) for the all ages. The big ones will enjoy teaching the little ones how to make the playdough, and then how to colour with the playdough. It'll probably lead to other activities too.

If you have them make salt dough rather than playdough, then at the end they can air dry their pics, add a frame and take home.

mama2three
22-03-2016, 10:03 AM
Junk construction and loose parts lay is a hit with all ages , my los range from 20m to almost 10 and they all get involved...yesterday I could hardly move around my lounge without knocking over one of the prize creations! .....

AliceK
22-03-2016, 11:01 AM
I asked 2 x 8yr olds yesterday what they wanted to do and this is what they told me:

Decorating biscuits as easter eggs.
Making chocolate easter nests
Colouring in and decorating sheets.
Word searches (must be hard)
Making boxes from templates and decorating them.
Making and decorating crosses.

One of them said the best things to do were things that involved food lol.

xxx

loocyloo
22-03-2016, 12:37 PM
Junk construction and loose parts lay is a hit with all ages , my los range from 20m to almost 10 and they all get involved...yesterday I could hardly move around my lounge without knocking over one of the prize creations! .....

:-) that's brilliant. I love the use of party hats :-)

Maza
22-03-2016, 07:13 PM
:-) that's brilliant. I love the use of party hats :-)

Me too. I would never have thought of that!

Dragonfly
23-03-2016, 04:21 PM
The older ones always seem to like something to do with food over anything else don't they?

loocyloo
23-03-2016, 05:38 PM
I've had 2 10 year olds making jelly tonight for tea tomorrow!

they've asked if next week we can try all the jelly moulds etc ... should be interesting!

BallyH
23-03-2016, 06:11 PM
I've had 2 10 year olds making jelly tonight for tea tomorrow!

they've asked if next week we can try all the jelly moulds etc ... should be interesting!

I read this as 10 two year olds and thought 'my god, brave woman!'. Proves I can't multitask. Will get back to cooking my dinner.

Maza
08-04-2016, 07:25 AM
Mrs PC2, how's it going? Have you survived so far? What activities have you been doing?

Not long to go now!