PDA

View Full Version : injury have I done the right thing?

emmas
18-03-2016, 06:47 PM
Hi All,

My Mindee tripped on my step and fell head first, she had a small laceration above her right eye, it is about 1 cm long, and not too deep. I cleaned it up and called mum, I recommended she take her to the minor injuries unit, just because its her head, and to check wound was clean.

I filled in accident form and got mum to sign. Detailing everything, and that I told mum to get it checked out. Have just spoken to mum, mindee is fine they just used a little glue and re applied the dressing.

Have I done everything right, This would not be classed as a serious accident reportable to Ofsted would it?

All this because they refuse to get mindee properly fitted shoes, insisting on buying off the peg shoes without mindee present to try on, and low and behold they fall off as she walks!
I feel very guilty but at the same time I could not have done anything to change it, her shoe just flew off and she fell!

All this the day after I discussed the fact she needs better shoes, and I think they need to speak to GP about her physical ability walking, she has what I would consider a severe in-toeing. It looks like sabotage!!!!!

Have I done the right thing, I am new to all this, and have only ever and scrapes and grazes before now?

Thanks

Emma.

blue bear
18-03-2016, 07:11 PM
Write it all up, get mum to sign. Take print shots of all correspondence with parents, include text Facebook comments anything especially those that show mum doesn't blame you and lo is fine.
Ring your insurance company you need to open a claim as the child has until age 21 years and six months to claim against you.
You don't need to inform ofsted, a call to your lado is often recommended they won't take any action as mum is not blaming you.

BallyH
18-03-2016, 07:34 PM
I would write up the additional information that happened after the child left your house and get the parent to sign it when you next see them. Plus maybe a note from the parent saying how were after treatment.

Try not to feel guilty. Although I always do as well. In fact I do spend a lot of evenings feeling guilty or worrying I've upset a parent over something that has happened, I've said/not said etc. I feel, for me, it's just part of my personality and part of the job.

My accident/incident book is jolly fat with entries.

Enjoy your weekend.

Maza
18-03-2016, 07:50 PM
Oh bless you. Try not to stress. The main thing is that you acted responsibly and the child was well looked after and that mum was informed. Get mum to sign the accident form if you haven't already.

I've been there with the 'too big shoes' with one of my mindees. It is sooo annoying. My poor mindee was tripping over every few steps and I had to get him to hold my hand and not run ahead as he wanted to. I'm sure mum thought I was making a fuss over nothing when I kept on mentioning it. x