PDA

View Full Version : New member

NicolaLovell
16-03-2016, 04:59 PM
Hi everyone

I am a new member. I start my course on Saturday (it is over 3 Saturday's) then once I have first aid and all the other checks I've been told I can apply to ofsted is this correct would anyone suggest any more courses? Also was wondering how easy it was to attract children and mums considering I don't have any experience and they would be my first "job" - how did you advertise? I will also be new to an area. ( im a mum of 2 though so I do have some experience!! - my son is nearly 4 and my daughter 2 1/2)

Any advice would be great thanks
Nicola

moggy
16-03-2016, 08:57 PM
Welcome.
Courses: a face-to-face local safeguarding/child protection course is a good idea and some Local Authorities (LA) insist on it (rather than, or as well as, an online 'national' safeguarding/child protection course), the benefit being you get the local details for reporting concerns and find out about the local child protection board etc. Speak to your LA early years team.
Food hygiene is good to do, and again some LA Environmental Health depts insist on it.
Then once you are registered you can check out what general EY courses your LA offer and start on the online courses on childcare.co.uk or pacey (if you are a member).

Attracting first clients: some have them lined up even before the certificate arrives, others take months to get the first one in. The very best way to get a feel for the local market is to speak to local CMers- go to a group, ask your LA for contacts, find your local CMer facebook group etc. We are happy to pass on enquiries we get when we are full, we are generally eager to help new CMers get started- we all remember what it is like to start! You can speak to local schools/nurseries (if you want to offer wrap-round care for those ages), go to Baby and Toddler Groups and chat- tell people what you are doing and you may pick up interest already.

Good luck with it!

k1rstie
16-03-2016, 09:58 PM
Welcome and hi!
Have you though yet about how many minded children you can have, and what sort of ages you might get? You could gauge numbers of childminders locally by looking on your local family information service or looking at childcare.co.uk

Maza
16-03-2016, 10:43 PM
Hello and welcome o the forum!

We all had to get our first clients at one point, don't worry about it. Just don't be in a rush to sign up the first family that shows an interest. Trust your instincts.

Most of my clients have come from FIS.

BallyH
17-03-2016, 10:04 AM
Hello and welcome. As you are a mum with lo's you will be your best advert. So get out and about and chat to others and mention you are becoming a cm. Best of luck.