PDA

View Full Version : Bug boxes

mumofone
16-03-2016, 08:57 AM
Was just about to buy a bug box but before I do I just wanted to see if anyone has any recommendations for any good ones? The ones where you put the bug in and it's magnified....
Thank you :-) x

FussyElmo
16-03-2016, 11:08 AM
Was just about to buy a bug box but before I do I just wanted to see if anyone has any recommendations for any good ones? The ones where you put the bug in and it's magnified....
Thank you :-) x

Mines a tupperware box and a magnifying glass. All the mod cons here lol

singingcactus
16-03-2016, 11:20 AM
We don't actually do boxes, but we have loads of magnifying glasses and a camera or two if the kids want to document. We have the rule of love, look and leave. If you really want one then I would guess the sucky straw ones would be less likely to cause damage to legs and wings than pudgy child fingers. I'll see if I can find the more scientific term for them.

crumpet54
16-03-2016, 11:25 AM
We don't actually do boxes, but we have loads of magnifying glasses and a camera or two if the kids want to document. We have the rule of love, look and leave. If you really want one then I would guess the sucky straw ones would be less likely to cause damage to legs and wings than pudgy child fingers. I'll see if I can find the more scientific term for them.

I agree -leave them in the natural environment! Don't need a box!

singingcactus
16-03-2016, 11:25 AM
A pooter, or aspirator. Here is a link to how to make one at home :)

http://gardening.afterschooltreats.com/wfdata/frame137-1015/pressrel1.asp

loocyloo
16-03-2016, 12:47 PM
I agree -leave them in the natural environment! Don't need a box!

I have a little pot with a magnifying glass in the lid, but we only seem to use that for looking at tadpoles (or occasionally 'robust' bugs!)

Otherwise we look at them in nature using our eyes not our fingers!

I got some sturdy magnifying glasses from elc years ago. Still going strong.