PDA

View Full Version : Pens for non porous surfaces?!

mumofone
14-03-2016, 07:23 PM
I've got some mugs that I want the kids to decorate but unfortunately my Giotto pens don't work on them because the mugs are shiny (non porous). Can anyone recommend me any felt tip type pens that I can use to decorate a shiny (non porous) porcelain mug?!

Thank you :-) x

Maza
14-03-2016, 09:16 PM
Would glass pens work? (Sorry, don't know what giotto pens are.) You can get them from Baker Ross, or Amazon.

moggy
14-03-2016, 09:18 PM
If you do not want the designs to wash off, you really need to use proper porcelain pens.
Porcelain paints work well too and you bake the mugs in the oven to fix the paint, then they are dishwasher proof.
Sharpies draw on them nicely but wash off easily. You can use Sharpies but then you need to apply a special lacquer, never tried it, sounds tricky.

Dragonfly
15-03-2016, 07:35 AM
glass pens and porcelain pens will work. and acrylic paint I think.

moggy
15-03-2016, 07:58 AM
glass pens and porcelain pens will work. and acrylic paint I think.

Acrylic paint will go on well, but it will scratch off/scrub off in the wash. It is ok for an item which is not going to be used/washed, ok for an ornament for example.

Dragonfly
15-03-2016, 07:31 PM
Good point Moggy

FloraDora
15-03-2016, 08:57 PM
I am married to a man from the potteries, with a history of family and himself working in the pottery industry.....I asked a simple question.......he has given me a lecture .....in his opinion!! .... It won't work and last.
Dragonfly and moggy sums up his lecture really.
Do it before it is fired is the only way it will be of any value to the recipient ...in his opinion...which I have now heard enough of!

He even took his mind off Rocket science programme to let me know this.

However...if someone could prove him wrong.......

mumofone
17-03-2016, 09:21 AM
Thanks everyone :-) xx