PDA

View Full Version : Do Ofsted look in your cupboards?

Maza
10-03-2016, 11:25 PM
I seem to remember at my last inspection, and my pre-reg that the inspector looked in every cupboard and drawer that didn't have a child lock on it...maybe it was just the kitchen ones I can't quite remember. What was your experience?

k1rstie
11-03-2016, 07:29 AM
Never had that happen to me. Did you state in your SEF that you has locks on everything, and she wanted to see if that was correct.

I have never had a cupboard or drawer lock in my life.

Dragonfly
11-03-2016, 07:37 AM
I haven't got locks on anything apart from a cupboard with alcohol in and under the sink cleaning stuff. And no ofsted do not go in your cupboards.

chris goodyear
11-03-2016, 07:59 AM
Years ago when Ofsted first came on the scene they were very nosy and looked everywhere even inspecting shampoo bottles etc in the bathroom!! Since then though I have had no experience of them being like that and the only cupboard I have a lock on is under the kitchen sink.

singingcactus
11-03-2016, 08:00 AM
I've never had one yet go into my cupboards, I've had 5 inspections so far. I've had one go into my children bedroom to have a look around, apparently to look for guns and to check the ceiling hadn't fallen down!! I am always paranoid about them going into my cupboards though, not cos they are dangerous but because I am a messy person and my cupboards highlight this.

Maza
11-03-2016, 08:50 AM
Wow, I must have go the nosey ones! They definitely asked me to open kitchen cupboards which didn't have locks on them. Just cannot remember if they asked me to open other cupboards though!

Simona
11-03-2016, 09:38 AM
Maza...do you mean when an inspector carries out a registration visit? ...or when they inspect us for grading?
the 2 are different

Ofsted guidance will clearly say what to expect from an inspector during a registration or inspection visit...make sure they follow both and adhere to the guidance.

In general I am not sure we can label inspectors 'nosy' if it is part of their job to ensure our settings are safe for the children.
LAs used to carry out a similar inspection and they too looked for safety/safeguarding
Locks are required where there is a safeguarding/safety/health risk...such as cleaning materials or medicine cupboards.

singingcactus
11-03-2016, 11:44 AM
In general I am not sure we can label inspectors 'nosy' if it is part of their job to ensure our settings are safe for the children.

I think that was said 'tongue-in-cheek' :)

BallyH
11-03-2016, 12:00 PM
They didn't look in my cupboards but in a general risk assessment I have stated where 'hazards' are ie bleach, dishwasher tablets, alcohol etc so that they are aware that I'm aware that I know what to do to keep the children safe and that is my understanding of it. That we know how to keep area safe for the children. I also rambled on in my sef about not having kitchen locks and justifying why. My cupboards are messy but safe.

Maza
11-03-2016, 12:38 PM
I think that was said 'tongue-in-cheek' :)

Lol, it was totally said tongue in cheek!

Both my pre-reg inspection and my graded inspection asked me to open cupboards/drawers which didn't have a lock on them. In my graded inspection she was satisfied that contents of drawers were safe until she got to one pull out drawer where I keep my casserole dishes. She said that as it was low down (bottom drawer) they could reach in and get a casserole dish and drop it on their toes. My heart sank. Then she had a change of heart and said "I suppose you'd see them and stop them before they had a chance to do it". I just couldn't remember if she looked in cupboards in other room and was wondering whether I needed to tidy them all up.

alex__17
11-03-2016, 02:11 PM
I have low drawers full of casserole dishes, all my pans plates etc, however I don't let the children alone in the kitchen, it is very open plan but I'm almost always in the kitchen, there favourite drawer to rifle through is the one with casserole dishes as the salad spinner is also kept there which can is perfect for spinning all manner of toys...!
I would also be mortified if they looked in other drawers and cupboards, that's where I hide all the mess!! Most are packed full, but again, kids aren't allowed to rifle through my cupboards and never have done so I hope Ofsted wouldn't do either!

FloraDora
11-03-2016, 02:41 PM
My ofsted inspector asked my children what was in the cupboards.

To be fair to her my cupboards in the living and dining room contain children's resources - the bureau is now a smallworld cupboard and one LO took her to it and told her what was in the baskets and how she had helped make the labels ( unprompted - I wanted to hug her). The LO gave her a guided tour of the kitchen cupboards : "this is my cupboard - I can get the paint out if A isn't around and ask for the camping table I like painting in the kitchen. The playdoh lives here too but we take that to the dining room. This cupboard has got plates, we don't go in there, this cupboard has M's chopping boards, look I bought him this it says chop chop M ... From R... He lets us use it when we chop fruit, I only like apples though"" I listened and smiled, on and on she went describing the contents of my cupboards and chiller ( including the beer and wine) and what she liked and didn't and what she could use " I can have the jugs from here when we play in the water"
I could not have asked for better evidence around my organisation or safeguarding, the inspector didn't ask to see the kitchen cupboards - she was taken there by the LO - but she didn't stop her.

I talked about it being a home and that they know what they can go in and what they can't just like at home, dangerous things are kept high in a utility cupboard so no chance of them accessing those. She questioned me about the free access to paint, but like others have said I explained that I would be in the kitchen if she wanted to paint in there.

I think you may be beginning to do those last minute panics Maza - your ofsted visit has been a long time coming....don't overthink things - you will be fine and can justify casserole dish conversations!

Maza
11-03-2016, 03:36 PM
Well I had my inspection this morning and she didn't look in any cupboards or drawers! I showed her the children's cupboard in the dining room and the paint cupboard in the kitchen because I'm quite proud of the organisation in there but she wasn't interested at all. I still have my casserole dishes in the same bottom drawer and have never had a problem with any of the little ones. She just said "I assume you risk assess everything" but didn't ask if they were written down.