PDA

View Full Version : Osteo arthritis

VeggieSausage
09-03-2016, 07:28 PM
Hi all, last night it was confirmed that I have osteo arthritis in 2 vertebrae in my neck, its very painful and I am having all sorts of probs with it......what does this mean for the future of me childminding do you think? anyone else out there got it.....

sarah707
09-03-2016, 07:39 PM
You will need to find ways of lifting, carrying etc that don't involve you pulling or putting more strain on your back...

You need to inform Ofsted as it's a change to your medical condition since you were registered...

Look at the different medication options carefully some are worse for you long term than others...

A friend with this condition does medical pilates and Alexander technique to help her alleviate symptoms.

Hope that helps xx

VeggieSausage
09-03-2016, 07:47 PM
You will need to find ways of lifting, carrying etc that don't involve you pulling or putting more strain on your back...

You need to inform Ofsted as it's a change to your medical condition since you were registered...

Look at the different medication options carefully some are worse for you long term than others...

A friend with this condition does medical pilates and Alexander technique to help her alleviate symptoms.

Hope that helps xx

Thanks Sarah, its actually my neck that is really affected, I had an x-ray a year ago and no-one sent me the results so was unaware, I was told that I would be contacted if there was anything amiss but not if normal....in that time I have taken on an assistant and lots more children and neck is worse, beginning to wrry I shouldn't have now!!!!

catswhiskers
09-03-2016, 10:27 PM
I do feel for you veggie. This job is so physically demanding so it must be worrying for you. I've been minding for 15 years and for the past 18 months my left knee has been playing up. Not painful but just very stiff and worrying if I try to bend at the knees so I end up getting down on one knee but wish I could go to the ground on both knees!

I had a bit of physio for a couple of weeks at my local surgery but they said they were reluctant to x-ray my knee because of my age! I'm 52. Due to x-ray emissions or something like that. But then a few weeks after that my son, who's 23 injured his knee playing football and he had an x-ray on his knee so I was a bit miffed with them and stopped going. Trouble is it's getting worse and by the evening my whole leg goes into a muscle spasm which is really worrying as I'm doing ironing, paperwork up until late in the evening. Over the past three years I also helped care for my mum and dad which was also physically and mentally demanding.

I wasn't aware that we have to inform Ofsted of our medical conditions since we registered (something sarah707 has mentioned).

I think they would be inundated if that was the case!

hectors house
11-03-2016, 04:46 PM
Veggiesausage I would seriously look at what buggy you are pushing - I have had problems with my neck and shoulders for years and used to have a horrible burning pain that went right up between my shoulders into my neck, I now have an Out & About double buggy and it's so easy to push (even with one hand) that I no longer get so much pain and am considering getting a single version to replace my Cosatto buggy.

Catswhiskers I'm baffled at why your surgery won't send you for an x-ray or even an ultra sound - go back and make a big fuss until you get one.

BallyH
11-03-2016, 06:04 PM
Do you think this job is wearing us all down? I've got tennis elbow at the moment. The pain is starting to get on my nerves. Doesn't help that I have got a lo tugging off my arm on the school run everyday.

loocyloo
11-03-2016, 07:06 PM
Veggiesausage I would seriously look at what buggy you are pushing - I have had problems with my neck and shoulders for years and used to have a horrible burning pain that went right up between my shoulders into my neck, I now have an Out & About double buggy and it's so easy to push (even with one hand) that I no longer get so much pain and am considering getting a single version to replace my Cosatto buggy.

Catswhiskers I'm baffled at why your surgery won't send you for an x-ray or even an ultra sound - go back and make a big fuss until you get one.

I've recently moved to an out and about nipper 360 double and it's bliss! Like HH says .. I can push it one handed even round tight corners!
I too am considering the single :-)

I get periodic upper and lower back pain, but not had any upper back since using this buggy (and lower back was garden related!)

FloraDora
11-03-2016, 07:13 PM
Do you think this job is wearing us all down? I've got tennis elbow at the moment. The pain is starting to get on my nerves. Doesn't help that I have got a lo tugging off my arm on the school run everyday.

Sorry to hear about your news Veggie, neck/ back problems are a real nuisance.
And your tennis elbow BallyH. Could you try a buggy board for a while - then LO isn't actually tugging you?

I have to say that rather than wearing me out childminding is keeping me fit!
I have never been as healthy - in my old life I worked 16 hour days, never ate lunch, drank too much coffee and other red liquid, slept in fits having nightmares about data, league tables, Michael Gove and Wiltshire. Saved my 'life' for Sunday's and holidays.
Now I eat and drink far more sensibly, I have breakfast at the table with the LO's - no more 'on the run' or a quick slice of toast from breakfast club. I drink water all day to encourage children, have a sensible healthy lunch which means I am not too tired at the end of my very early in comparison finish time. I am relaxed in the evening and go out on school nights and sleep wonderfully. I walk every day in a nice environment and watch nature do its work, my garden looks nice most of the time, I don't forget to plant bulbs and seeds on time and I laugh, I laugh everyday and my angsts are minimal. I have time to have nice weekends with DH and visit friends and family.
I am no lighter, but I know I am not so sluggish at 2pm and 8pm. It's a better lifestyle for me.

BallyH
11-03-2016, 07:46 PM
Sorry to hear about your news Veggie, neck/ back problems are a real nuisance.
And your tennis elbow BallyH. Could you try a buggy board for a while - then LO isn't actually tugging you?

I have to say that rather than wearing me out childminding is keeping me fit!
I have never been as healthy - in my old life I worked 16 hour days, never ate lunch, drank too much coffee and other red liquid, slept in fits having nightmares about data, league tables, Michael Gove and Wiltshire. Saved my 'life' for Sunday's and holidays.
Now I eat and drink far more sensibly, I have breakfast at the table with the LO's - no more 'on the run' or a quick slice of toast from breakfast club. I drink water all day to encourage children, have a sensible healthy lunch which means I am not too tired at the end of my very early in comparison finish time. I am relaxed in the evening and go out on school nights and sleep wonderfully. I walk every day in a nice environment and watch nature do its work, my garden looks nice most of the time, I don't forget to plant bulbs and seeds on time and I laugh, I laugh everyday and my angsts are minimal. I have time to have nice weekends with DH and visit friends and family.
I am no lighter, but I know I am not so sluggish at 2pm and 8pm. It's a better lifestyle for me.

You certainly sell childminding positively. I meant physically with little aches and pains. At the moment I don't push a buggy. Everyone walks. 2 lo's holding hands and me 'tugging' one. But I must admit the sun was shining here yesterday, otherwise a bad week weather wise and it felt wonderful and made me really look forward to the warmer weather that a childminder can really enjoy the freedom and choices the job brings.

mumofone
12-03-2016, 08:10 AM
Sorry to hear about your news Veggie, neck/ back problems are a real nuisance. And your tennis elbow BallyH. Could you try a buggy board for a while - then LO isn't actually tugging you? I have to say that rather than wearing me out childminding is keeping me fit! I have never been as healthy - in my old life I worked 16 hour days, never ate lunch, drank too much coffee and other red liquid, slept in fits having nightmares about data, league tables, Michael Gove and Wiltshire. Saved my 'life' for Sunday's and holidays. Now I eat and drink far more sensibly, I have breakfast at the table with the LO's - no more 'on the run' or a quick slice of toast from breakfast club. I drink water all day to encourage children, have a sensible healthy lunch which means I am not too tired at the end of my very early in comparison finish time. I am relaxed in the evening and go out on school nights and sleep wonderfully. I walk every day in a nice environment and watch nature do its work, my garden looks nice most of the time, I don't forget to plant bulbs and seeds on time and I laugh, I laugh everyday and my angsts are minimal. I have time to have nice weekends with DH and visit friends and family. I am no lighter, but I know I am not so sluggish at 2pm and 8pm. It's a better lifestyle for me.

What did you do previously flora, teaching?